This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acheron View Post
    Thanks very much for confirming my experience. I decided to download the 1 Nov iso and got the same response as before. Good to hear that this problem will be fixed shortly.

Comment

I am very pleased to report that the iso image for the 2nd November allowed me to successfully install Zesty.

Thanks to Dimitri John Ledkov who fixed it for us.

Comment

For those of you who like to take risks, you may be interested to try what I have reported in post #17 at https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...722#post395722.

Comment

My experience so far is that the screen refresh is the main problem. By this I mean, that when task is exited, it is removed from the Task Manager on the Default panel, but its image is still on the desktop screen. Also, when launching a task its title bar is not always present. This problem varies a bit. The main package that seems to impact this area is ibus-wayland. The packages that I have installed in this area are:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Synaptic_ibus-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	643412

The wayland packages that I have installed are:

Name:	Synaptic_Wayland.jpg
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	643413

Finally, the grub packages that I installed are:

Name:	Synaptic_grub2.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	643414

I have installed all my favourite application packages and the ones that I have tried all work OK.

Overall I am impressed with the progress so far and I look forward to experiencing the progress of those developing this software.

Any suggestions on what other packages I need to install will be welcome.

Comment

I know my first comment related to screen refresh being a big problem for me. Well I went out to dinner and returned to find a handful of updates and to my surprise the screen refresh was perfect. I no longer observed any shimmering either.

So all is working perfectly and this new system is a pleasure to use as there is no longer any visual annoyance.

Comment

As I have the following repositories enabled:
              Code:
              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-plasma
              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
              I now have had updates so that my Kinfo now gives.

Name:	Kinfo_20161201.png
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	643420

With the additional repositories, Zesty is certainly advancing at a great pace.

The only annoyance is what I would call "jitter" of the desktop applications. This happens sometimes when launching and moving applications. Firefox is the worst offender as well as the logout window. Also, clearing applications from the desktop after exit can take a second or two.

For startup, I use the Breeze Splash Screen and just before the desktop is written, the "K" jitters. I use this as the measure of what I am likely to encounter.

I must say that doing this posting was less of a problem than the last time I did this on Zesty 5 days ago.

Comment

I also have the two -staging repos enabled.
                When I go to System Settings > Account Details > User Manager, give it a login name. real name and password, the cursor never changes back from the text entry i-beam to a pointer, and Apply seems to do nothing.

Am I doing it wrong, or have I found a bug?

Comment

Originally posted by mparillo View Post
                  I also have the two -staging repos enabled.
                  When I go to System Settings > Account Details > User Manager, give it a login name. real name and password, the cursor never changes back from the text entry i-beam to a pointer, and Apply seems to do nothing.

Am I doing it wrong, or have I found a bug?
                  Testing today, I can only seem to add a new user if I also tick the box to make them an administrator?
                  On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Testing today, I can only seem to add a new user if I also tick the box to make them an administrator?
                    That cannot be working as designed, can it?

Comment

Originally posted by mparillo View Post
                      That cannot be working as designed, can it?
                      Nope.

Just trying to grab a different 5.8.4 install to test on, and see whether it is a packaging bug or a general KDE bug for that version.
                      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Nope.

Just trying to grab a different 5.8.4 install to test on, and see whether it is a packaging bug or a general KDE bug for that version.
                        Thanks very much for tracking down this problem as I also had the same problem and the Administrator option was the only one that worked. Interestingly, I specified a password for the new user and when I tried to login the new user, the password failed.

I must confess that I never have another user on my systems, so this is a new experience for me.

Throughout testing this option, I still have problems with screen rewrite being delayed which, at times, gives rather interesting visual patterns.

Comment

I can sort of get the same issue on the Neon user edition live session.

I will try something like a chakra/arch install tomorrow to see if their plasma 5.8.4 suffers the same issue. If it does, I shall report a bug.

I wonder if it is perhaps an unintended side effect of:

https://phabricator.kde.org/D3102

meaning that under some circumstances, that code change is also preventing admin pinentry box from showing to authorise a new user.

That change was applied in stable Plasma 5.8.3, but not in the master plasma branch, which may also explain why I didn't see this issue on a Neon dev-unstable VM.

Comment

KDE bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=373276

Comment

I see the exact same thing in Chakra Linux 5.8.4. Also debian confirm that this happens with theirs as well.

So this is definitely a general KDE/plasma upstream issue/bug, and not a kubuntu specific one.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                                Throughout testing this option, I still have problems with screen rewrite being delayed which, at times, gives rather interesting visual patterns.
                                I have just received a truckload of updates and the performance of the desktop is absolutely brilliant, ie no sign of screen rewrite delay.

I tried to provoke it many times and rewrite was instant and there was no delay in exiting applications. This desktop is now a joy to use. Well done to all who contributed to this development and I look forward to its performance when it reaches Alpha 1. This is going to be a great distribution, particularly with Wayland working so well now.

Comment

Working...
                                X