This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact Error - Akonadi Service Not Running

The upgrade went pretty well until I opened Kontact to read my email. Startup took longer than usual and the main area displayed 'Starting the Personal Information Management Service'. Eventually, the main area was almost completely grey thus:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kontact.png
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	649142

When I click on 'Details' nothing happens.

I cannot see anything in the 'background Services' dialog that looks relevant and akonadi-server' is installed along with a number of other related packages.

How do I get akonadi running again?

Originally posted by TerryJC View Post
    The upgrade went pretty well until I opened Kontact to read my email. Startup took longer than usual and the main area displayed 'Starting the Personal Information Management Service'. Eventually, the main area was almost completely grey ....

How do I get akonadi running again?
    An update to this question. This machine (which exhibits the problem) had a clean installation of Kubuntu 16.04 fairly recently. However, the /home directory is on a separate partition, which was not reformatted. That partition was created some time ago (years not months).

I have just completed the upgrade on my second machine that had 16.04. This is a new Dell XPS-13 DE and hadn't had anything on it before apart from the default Ubuntu supplied by Dell. I have not seen this problem with this machine.

Can anyone advise me what to do to 'clean out' my akonadi configuration without also throwing away all my account and contact information?

Comment

What does "akonadictl start" do?
      Any error logs here ~.local/share/akonadi, there should be mysql.err and akonari.err or similar somewhere in that path

Comment

Originally posted by sasha View Post
        What does "akonadictl start" do?
        Any error logs here ~.local/share/akonadi, there should be mysql.err and akonari.err or similar somewhere in that path
        Running "akonadictl start" gives:

Code:
        [FONT=monospace] sudo akonadictl start
        [sudo] password for terry:  
        Starting Akonadi Server...
           done.
        Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
        terry@OptiPlex:~$ akonadiprivate_log: search paths:  ("/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/bin", "/sbin", "/bin", 
        "/snap/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/libexec", "/usr/libexec", "/opt/mysql/libexec", "/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin",
         "/opt/mysql/sbin")                                                                                             
        Found mysql_install_db:  "/usr/bin/mysql_install_db"                                                            
        Found mysqlcheck:  "/usr/bin/mysqlcheck"                                                                        
        Using mysqld: "/usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi"                                                                        
        mysqld reports version 5.7.15 (Oracle MySQL)                                                                    
        Executing: "/usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi" "--defaults-file=/home/terry/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf --datadir=/home/terry/.local/share
        /akonadi/db_data/ --socket=/tmp/akonadi-root.D8vrWA/mysql.socket"                                               
        Database process exited unexpectedly during initial connection!                                                 
        executable: "/usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi"                                                                          
        arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/terry/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf", "--datadir=/home/terry/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/", "--
        socket=/tmp/akonadi-root.D8vrWA/mysql.socket")                                                                  
        stdout: ""                                                                                                      
        stderr: "mysqld: Error on realpath() on '/var/lib/mysql-files' (Error 2 - No such file or directory)\n2016-10-15T13:49:17.986522Z 0 [
        Warning] The syntax '--log_warnings/-W' is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Please use '--log_error_verbosity' ins
        tead.\n2016-10-15T13:49:17.986579Z 0 [Warning] TIMESTAMP with implicit DEFAULT value is deprecated. Please use --explicit_defaults_fo
        r_timestamp server option (see documentation for more details).\n2016-10-15T13:49:17.986635Z 0 [ERROR] Failed to access directory for
         --secure-file-priv. Please make sure that directory exists and is accessible by MySQL Server. Supplied value : /var/lib/mysql-files\
        n2016-10-15T13:49:17.986641Z 0 [ERROR] Aborting\n\n2016-10-15T13:49:17.986653Z 0 [Note] Binlog end\n"           
        exit code: 1                                                                                                    
        process error: "Unknown error"                                                                                  
        terminating service threads                                                                                     
        terminating connection threads                                                                                  
        stopping db process                                                                                             
        Failed to remove Unix socket                                                                                    
        Failed to remove runtime connection config file                                                                 
        Application 'akonadiserver' exited normally...[/FONT]
        There is a file called 'akonadiserver.error' in ~.local/share/akonadi. This constains:

Code:
        Database process exited unexpectedly during initial connection! 
        executable: "/usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi" 
        arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/terry/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf", "--datadir=/home/terry/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/", "--socket=/tmp/akonadi-root.D8vrWA/mysql.socket") 
        stdout: "" 
        stderr: "mysqld: Error on realpath() on '/var/lib/mysql-files' (Error 2 - No such file or directory)\n2016-10-15T13:49:17.986522Z 0 [Warning] The syntax '--log_warnings/-W' is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Please use '--log_error_verbosity' instead.\n2016-10-15T13:49:17.986579Z 0 [Warning] TIMESTAMP with implicit DEFAULT value is deprecated. Please use --explicit_defaults_for_timestamp server option (see documentation for more details).\n2016-10-15T13:49:17.986635Z 0 [ERROR] Failed to access directory for --secure-file-priv. Please make sure that directory exists and is accessible by MySQL Server. Supplied value : /var/lib/mysql-files\n2016-10-15T13:49:17.986641Z 0 [ERROR] Aborting\n\n2016-10-15T13:49:17.986653Z 0 [Note] Binlog end\n" 
        exit code: 1 
        process error: "Unknown error" 
        Failed to remove Unix socket 
        Failed to remove runtime connection config file
        I'm not really sure what that is telling me. There is no file or directory called 'mysql-files' in var/lib.

Comment

Code:
          [B]sudo mkdir /var/lib/mysql-files[/B]
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
            Code:
            [B]sudo mkdir /var/lib/mysql-files[/B]
            I did that and ran "akonadictl start" again. It is now working thanks.

One final question; why was that directory not there already? Kontact worked fine in 16.04. Has the configuration changed?

Comment

You do not need to start akonadi with sudo. It should just run as your user. So do "akonadictl stop", and start is as regular user to make sure it will all be good on the next boot

Comment

Originally posted by sasha View Post
                You do not need to start akonadi with sudo. It should just run as your user. So do "akonadictl stop", and start is as regular user to make sure it will all be good on the next boot
                No, I realised that when I saw the console output.

When I subsequently got it working I omitted the sudo.

Comment

Worked for me as well. Thank you for the fix. It's good to have Kontact/Kmail back.

Comment

Thanks. Helped me too. I have other problems however with kmail that I will post about separately.

Comment

I experienced an identical fault. Your fix seems to have resolved it.

Comment

Just recently upgraded to 16.10. Creating the specified folder also worked for me.
                        Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
                        Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
                        Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

Just out of my curiosity, I checked to see if such directory exist in my 16.04 installation. It was not. Should this be created in 16.04 too, despite Kontact & kmail working fine so far without?

Comment

Working...
                          X