This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi shows connected but cannot get on line

I have my wifi up and running It shows connected but I get server not found and cannot get response in Email. Please help.
    I am running Kubuntu 15.04 on a Compaq PresaroA940NR Notebook PC

Just an obvious kind of idea: Did you fully re-boot the laptop? (I know you finally got the Wifi, and don't want to "lose" it.) This usually works on an ASUS laptop I have here.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I did as you suggested and did a reboot. I did not lose the connection but still cannot get to a server. Tried Firefox and Thunderbird. Open to all help. In Network Management settings Notifications I get
      Active Connection state changed/Missing VPN plugin/Vpn connection state changed/device failed to activate. In network Management settings on details to show it lists VPN Plugin /VPN Banner. Does that help?
      Thanks

Comment

Boy, I confess I am not a wireless user and I am not a network guy. Just thinking from first principles here ... Suppose you have this kind of set-up: You have a wireless modem[-router] that is connected to a DSL line by an Ethernet cable (usually a yellow cable, but could be black). The modem-router should have lights that show whether you are connected to the Internet. If the Internet light is OFF, then you have no Internet connection (even though, possibly, the DSL light is ON showing you are connected to your Internet Service Provider). When I lose Internet connection (even though I am connected to my ISP and connected to WiFi successfully), I try this: (1) Unplug that Ethernet cable from the back of the modem[-router]. Wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in. Is there an Internet connection now? If not, then try re-booting the modem[-router] by disconnecting the electrical current to the modem[-router] (sometime there is an on-off switch on the modem[router] that controls the electrical connection; or you can simply unplug the modem[-router] from the wall (or from the modem), wait a couple minutes, and plug it back in. Wait and watch as the modem boots up, flashing its light, and hope that it will re-boot through its sequence from power to DSL [to Ethernet] and then to Internet.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I unplugged the Modem Line and after a while plugged it back. Did the same with the other lines going to the modem. Turned it off and back on. I have power light /2 lines from modem, one going to Vonage phone the other going to the desktop. None helped but I appreciate the suggestions as it may have worked. On my laptop the wireless symbol is clear (no X) and the name for my Wifi says connected and and is checked. The other to symbols in the Wifi drop down are with a red X, not used. One is an aeroplane and the other is a symbol like on a cell phone that shows your signal on a phone. On the modem I have lights for Power, 2 lines out, Wireless, broadband, and service. NOT LIT is WPS.. Maybe that will help.

Sometimes when I try to go online KDE Wallet Service opens and says KDE Daemon requests a password . I have never used Wallet and do not know Password. Can I remove it?
          Last edited by reb81; Jan 06, 2016, 02:47 PM. Reason: Add Information

Comment

I would think the Broadband light on the modem should be lit (just as a DSL light should be lit, in the case of DSL). The WPS is not lit, you say; and sometimes you are asked for a password. Would that be the password provided by the ISP that is printed on the back or bottom of the wireless modem?

The PIN method, for WPS:
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

Comment

Here's an example of trouble-shooting a CenturyLink modem, but the logic should apply generally:
              http://internethelp.centurylink.com/...ights-wps.html

Comment

Example of the Password method:
                http://internethelp.centurylink.com/...n-default.html

Comment

The Password I spoke of was for KDEWallet. It would pop up occasionally when I try to connect. I went to Synaptic and removed it and then reinstalled it so if it comes up again I will have to set a password. My att wireless site says I have a password at WPA/WPA2 and at WEP.

Comment

So you found a page like this:
                    http://www.att.com/esupport/welcome....dsl-high-speed

As above, two common ways to use WPS are (1) The push button, and (2) Password. Your AT&T wireless setup site should cover this (as does that CenturylLink page I linked to). Right?

Comment

The easiest way to get rid of pesky Kwallet is to put in...
                      No password!

So next time it shows up you just leave the password box empty and confirm.

Why not confirm the modem is working by hooking up through an Ethernet cable?
                      Once you can confirm wired internet access is possible you can investigate what is the WIFI problem, at the moment you don't know much at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X