X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similar experience here from a clean install of Kubuntu 15.10. In my case:

Grub to login screen: 9 seconds
    Splash screen: ~30 seconds
    From seeing wallpaper to functional desktop (I could also see the panel, but nothing was usable): ~60 seconds

Disabling bluetooth as suggested in post 14 fixed the longer 60 second pause, but the 30 second one still exists. I've gone from ~100 second boot to ~40 second boot. I still think the 30 second delay is indicative of something being broken. To put this into perspective, my desktop has an i7 with 16 GB RAM and a name brand SSD (not that name brand matters all that much, but this is just to show that it's not the absolute cheapest and slowest SSD on the market). Windows 10 boots to a fully usable desktop in ~15 seconds, and that's with quick startup disabled so that Windows and Kubuntu play nicely together. A 40 second boot time almost requires that there is something still broken with the boot process.

Comment

I also have been experiencing slow start-up. For my system it takes 20s from power on to the login screen. I now wait at least 10s at the login screen, as if I don't wait, I find that Wily does not recognize my second screen correctly. I suspect that kscreen is in dire need of serious surgery.

The final step from Login to a working desktop takes about 33s. Sometimes I have a long period with a black screen. I think that this depends on how long I leave my system at the login screen. I remember a time, not long ago, when some on this forum were reporting boot times in 10-20s. I hope this problems is fixed soon!!!!

Comment

Got my 15.10 to load quickly

I had a similar problem here with 15.10 although 15.04 was fine (i7 laptop with Intel Graphics & 8Mb memory). Boot times may not have been as long for me as some noted here, but there was a significant pause when the boot progress bar showed completed and then another with desktop wallpaper showing before the system tray loaded.

I solved the latter problem by following advice here to disable the bluetooth service - '$ sudo systemctl disable bluetooth.service' - and the former by going into Settings/Start Up & Shutdown/Desktop Sessions/On Login and changing the setting to "Start with an Empty Session".

My laptop now boots as fast as it used to: from power button pressed to login screen (including POST) = 14s; login screen to fully working desktop = 8s.

I don't have Bluetooth on my laptop currently, as I had swapped out the original WiFi chip which was causing issues in Linux, so disabling it was not an issue for me - it maybe for some, though.
        Incidentally, prior to trying Kubuntu (which is looking better than it ever did), I had installed Atergos/KDE version and that wouldn't complete the install with bluetooth enabled in the pre-install checklist - so it may be that this is a wider problem (with KDE) rather than Kubuntu specific.

Hope this helps :-)
        Last edited by siabost; Oct 26, 2015, 01:21 PM.

Comment

The Power of the Atom

I have got 15.10 on two Acer Aspire Revo computers; the R3600 has a 230 Atom 1.6GHz and the R3700 has a D525 Atom 1.8GHz (much more powerful and with faster graphics).

I upgraded both to 15.04 only to find that it was broken. I further upgraded both to 15.10 and got KDE init and Plasma errors during the upgrade. Then I did a clean install on both.

The R3600 has always been quite slow, but the R3700 used to belt along like a demented pixie with 14.04 and 14.10. Both machines now have the slow boot that the thread documents.

On the powerful 3700 I did this,

user@nettop-R3700:~$ service --status-all
          ~
          [ - ] bluetooth
          ~

user@nettop-R3700:~$ sudo systemctl disable bluetooth.service
          [sudo] password for user:

Synchronizing state of bluetooth.service with SysV init with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install...
          Executing /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install disable bluetooth
          insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script `bluetooth' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5).
          insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) of script `bluetooth' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).
          Removed symlink /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.bluez.service.

user@nettop-R3700:~$ service --status-all
          ~
          [ - ] bluetooth
          ~

There was no subjective improvement. I deselected Bluetooth in the system tray with no apparent improvement.

I should note that neither machine is taking processor time for file indexing.

I think there is something very broken with the graphics system and, perhaps, Plasma. On the R3600, the computer often fails during the boot splash screen process. The progress bar never finishes, but icons from the panel start popping up and the mouse pointer will not move. The system does keep very good time, so a lot of Linux is running correctly. After a while the screen blanks and the display can be restored by moving the mouse, even though the mouse pointer does not move. I have both machines set to turn-off on the power button, but this does not work while in this state. A long stab on the power button is required. Every now and then, it boots after the long delays into a fully functioning 15.10 session.

When I first installed 15.04 on the R3600, I got a black screen on the initial restart. I did a clean install of 15.10 and got the same thing. Hard power-downs and start-ups finally got it to work.

The R3700 was much less of a problem (perhaps due to the better graphics circuitry in the D525 Atom). The were no splash screen problems, but it is just as slow to boot as the R3600. In addition, the system sometimes refuses to close down or run programs even though Plasma appears to be working OK. A hard power-down is required. A dab on the power button fails to close Linux.

One final aberration on both systems which is, I think, unconnected with the slow boot process is that files open with the wrong tool. A deb will open with ark and a pdf with Inkscape. A check on filetypes in settings shows all the correct default programs.

Just to end on a high, the search function in dolphin/baloo has now been restored. If the slow boot can be resolved so that it is as good as Kubuntu LTE, 15.10 will be a useful release. I don't think I could live with 15.04.

Comment

Minutes Monday Plasma Hangout: https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasm...er/045409.html
            David:
            - 30 sec freeze during startup in Kubuntu due to bluetooth, Jan fixed it
            Try Me !

Comment

I also had slow boot after updating Wily "testing" from the22nd Oct. Upon booting I checked the boot message for errors ( Ctrl+Alt+Tab) which showed something similar to "a start job is runnning for dev-disk-by \ x2duuid-xxxx ".........(37s / 1min30s).
              A google search landed me at http://jayshomebrew.blogspot.com.au/...nning-for.html
              He sugested to edit /etc/fstab
              and comment out the swap file that was used during installation. Reboot, and all should be fine. That fix worked for me

Comment

For me, on my VM of 15.10 (Oracle VirtualBox), Plasma was also taking quite a while to load after the greeter login. Others have suggested/pointed to Bluetooth being involved in this long loading time. As my 15.10 VM doesn't have or use Bluetooth, but Bluetooth packages were installed, I purged all bluez* installed packages except for libbluetooth3 (removing/purging it removes your functioning system/desktop!) and rebooted. Plasma now loads extremely fast after typing in my password.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Does seem to be bluetooth related

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  For me, on my VM of 15.10 (Oracle VirtualBox), Plasma was also taking quite a while to load after the greeter login. Others have suggested/pointed to Bluetooth being involved in this long loading time. As my 15.10 VM doesn't have or use Bluetooth, but Bluetooth packages were installed, I purged all bluez* installed packages except for libbluetooth3 (removing/purging it removes your functioning system/desktop!) and rebooted. Plasma now loads extremely fast after typing in my password.

I updated my wireless card in laptop (the new card included bluetooth). As soon as I booted up with the new wifi/bluetooth card the problem went away. The loading time went from 1min. to about 5 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    Sorry to say that I did not get any improvement by purging bluez. I did this using muon as when I used the command line with the purge of bluez* it would have nuked my system. I changed my system to auto login and the times from power on to a desktop was about 49s both with and without bluez. I even tried commenting out the swap file in fstab and that made no difference for me.

I have found that by not having kontact active when shutting down, the reboot doesn't cause problems with my auxiliary monitor not being correctly activated, ie a blank screen.

P.S.

I tried bootchart to get an accurate measure but that failed to generate the file /var/log/bootchart.tgz. So I seem to be snookered no matter what I try to do.
                    Last edited by NoWorries; Oct 30, 2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Still long loading here too!
                      sigpic
                      Pider
                      Kubuntu 16.10
                      Multicom Talisa

Comment

I fixed my slow start problem up by going in to the system tray settings and disabling "networks (automatic load)"

Comment

On my Thinkpad there was a problem with the broadband modem causing slowness and eventually lock up.
                          Starting up in 14.04 or Windows and then (hot) rebooting into 15.04 would prevent the problem.

This link by Spadge solved it:
                          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ight=broadband

Comment

Originally posted by arunce View Post
                            If you don't need or don't have bluetooth just do:

Code:
                            $ sudo systemctl disable bluetooth.service
                            And the systemtray will load quickly.
                            That's brilliant. That fixes one of my 30 second delays - now if I could just work out what the other is caused by.

Thanks!
                            --
                            Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by siabost View Post
                              I solved the latter problem by following advice here [...] and the former by going into Settings/Start Up & Shutdown/Desktop Sessions/On Login and changing the setting to "Start with an Empty Session".

Hope this helps :-)
                              And that fixed the other 30 second delay!

Thanks.

Login to working desktop now around ten seconds, down from about a minute.
                              --
                              Intocabile

Comment

On my system, when I "Start with an Empty Session", I get the HPLIP Status Service message with no system tray detected. I also have an auxiliary monitor which does not initialize correctly. It has a black auxiliary screen which I can move applications to and from, but right mouse click provides nothing, including no "Desktop Settings".

For these reasons I have reverted to "Restore previous session" and put up with the extra 23s boot time. I certainly hope that a solution to this problem is found soon.

The times reported here a dismal compared to what was being measured with Kubuntu 13.04. I have an SSD and I am wondering what is slowing the system boot time down so much. Once the desktop is up it is very fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X