This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropbox icon does not show in system tray, with KB 15.04

I tried installing both the download from Dropbox and the package in the package manager - no icon.

The topic is taken up here, re: Ubuntu, but the recommended fix, "install nautilus-dropbox"
    is a no-go. Muon won't let me do it.

Any ideas?

http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...systray-icons/

I simply run CLI only, and when I need to get fancy, I use the Python scripts.

Comment

Looks like they are working on it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/comm...d-3-2-4?page=1

Stable Build 3.2.4

Here's a new release candidate in the 3.2 series.
      New in 3.2.4

Fixes tray icon issues for some Linux window managers (we are currently working with the Qt team for fixes for additional window managers).

Later:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/comm...l-Build-3-7-33

Experimental Build 3.7.33

New in the 3.7 series:

Windows & Linux: Upgrade to Qt 5.4

Comment

Hmm, on this machine I have 3.7.35 installed but no icon yet.

Comment

ronw - Thanks for the update - that's very good to know. I searched for the problem, looking for exactly what you found, but didn't come up with much.

Until there's an icon to report activity, I will continue to watch in the System Monitor table, sorted by CPU activity, to see if Dropbox is busy, when I need to know. Awkward, but gets the job done.

Comment

The command dropbox status is helpful.
            Kubuntu 15.10 - Asus All-in-one (i3, 4GB ram)

Comment

Originally posted by trintadosete View Post
              The command dropbox status is helpful.

Yes! Didn't know about that. THANKS.

Comment

Originally posted by mparillo View Post
                http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...systray-icons/

I simply run CLI only, and when I need to get fancy, I use the Python scripts.
                Interesting. But for the ordinary user (like me), who didn't even know there WAS a command line mode, this is no solution to the present problem. I'm just thinking about this from the practical point of view. We "ordinaries" just get baffled, then stuck.

Comment

A Dropbox update has today enabled the Dropbox icon.
                  Not only for the ordinary user

Comment

Teunis - did you have to change anything? I still don't have an icon.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                      Yeah, me either. Nor a Skype icon either. I still can't believe this is happening. It's like the Kubuntu folks just don't care? I've been looking at other Linux distributions lately. I do NOT like this indifference to basic functionality.

Comment

Kubuntu has no control over how Skype codes their product (or rather how they don't - since they never update the client!) nor how Plasma 5 handles it's system tray. If you go to any plasma 5 distro, you will be in the exact same boat. I fully understand the frustration - I use Viber, which has the same problem. Claiming indifference on kubuntu's part is a bit much.

I could swear that I added or created a post on Skype's forums quite some time ago about this, but I can't find it
                        They no longer have a public bug tracker, either.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          Kubuntu has no control over how Skype codes their product (or rather how they don't - since they never update the client!) nor how Plasma 5 handles it's system tray. If you go to any plasma 5 distro, you will be in the exact same boat. I fully understand the frustration - I use Viber, which has the same problem. Claiming indifference on kubuntu's part is a bit much.

I could swear that I added or created a post on Skype's forums quite some time ago about this, but I can't find it
                          They no longer have a public bug tracker, either.
                          Thanks. That's the most informative post on this issue I've yet run across. Looks like I just bit the nearest dog, rather than the RIGHT dog! Hmmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                            Sorry for the late reply, no I did not change anything except the daily updates.

A slightly similar issue, the HPLIP icon, three days ago it decided to show but now it's gone again.
                            And that was without any updates except the Flash loader.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
                              Yeah, me either. Nor a Skype icon either. I still can't believe this is happening. It's like the Kubuntu folks just don't care? I've been looking at other Linux distributions lately. I do NOT like this indifference to basic functionality.

A further thought: Regardless of who's accountable for the current system tray mess with 15.04, the net effect is that an upgrade for my actual working system is out of the question. I NEED the functionality which Kubuntu no longer has. If that doesn't bother the Kubuntu people, then I'm gone. I need either to stay with 14.10 or find another OS, where this sort of things doesn't happen. For now, it means I stay with 14.10.

Comment

Working...
                              X