This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem with either slow response or totally sluggish and useless?
    No problems here after updating Wily VM and Wily installed on a USB3 HDD.

Maybe: I don't use baloo indexing / file search.

Maybe 2: Complaints in the Arch testing forums about kactivitymanagerd using a lot of CPU. Workaround is System Settings > Desktop Behavior > Activities, then select "Do not remember" on the Privacy tab. I always turn this off on new installs.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions but I regret that the change in System Settings did not work. As you say, the problems are related to kactivitymanagerd. I managed to get htop up but couldn't do anything else as the desktop was essentially frozen. I had to write down the top CPU processes which were:

~56% /usr/bin/plasmashell --shut-up
      ~51% /usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd start-daemon

I certainly hope that this is fixed very soon as I have to use my laptop for video processing. In the meantime I can use my Wife's Laptop which has 14.04 for a Skype session tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        however after 119 updates today ,,,,,,,,,,,,my wireless refuses to connect
        Same here. My work-around was to remove the old wireless connection and add a new one. Let's hope it survives tonight's shutdown.

Comment

booted to 15.10 this afternoon after being in the 14.04 partition for a day or 2 ,,,,, ran off updates
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          128 of them ,,,,,and the wireless is back

enjoying Amarok , firefox , 4 konsoles + yakuake and dolphin on the laptop screen and ProjectM on a HP HD 23" monitor with the HDMI output on the laptop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Awesome

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
            Maybe 2: Complaints in the Arch testing forums about kactivitymanagerd using a lot of CPU. Workaround is System Settings > Desktop Behavior > Activities, then select "Do not remember" on the Privacy tab. I always turn this off on new installs.
            I have now found out why I was having problems. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1278(3).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	643026

What I had done was enable "Unsupported updates" and these, I am sure, were the source of my problems. So I thought, what the heck, and then enabled the "Pre-release updates". I then got a good insight into all the new packages that we can expect. For example there is Kernel 4.2.0-10, Firefox 40.0.3 and Thunderbird 38.2.0.

I get this system to work by keeping up KSysGuard and when I see "kactivitymanagerd" in the list, I kill it. If it comes back again, I repeat this process. It sometimes takes a couple of seconds for the system to get back to "normal".

I have just been able to complete some video editing with Kdenlive and posted it on YouTube. I hope to also use this system for Skype later today.

I did think that I should install the system again without all the unsupported and pre- release software, but when I tried the installation, it failed because "umbiquity" crashed with the 12th September iso. So I might wait a couple of days before I try this again.

Comment

Note that "unsupported updates" is normally enabled in *bubntu. - this is the so-called "Universe" repo, that contains mainly packages automatically ported from Debian. They are safe as they really are not the sort of packages that mess with your system.

Now, "pre-release updates" is the "-proposed" repo, ands is NOT normally enabled in *buntu. These are things that may need a bit of extra usage testing before moving out into the normal repos.

the pre-release updates are probably where the problems arise, here in testing land. I don't really know why they use pre-release testing repo in a pre-release testing distro version, outside of very quickly checking out a fix to a major problem or something, but there are/were some kubuntu packages in there, specifically kontact/kdepim stuff at some point (I was checking them out ) I guess I can see having kmail stuff ported to Plasma 5 being kept out of the main OS, as we all know how well the pim stuff likes to go boom

Comment

Thanks for the clarification and I now don't feel so bad about having the "Unsupported updates" selected. I am finding that the pre-release packages still do not like my auxiliary monitor as was the case when I did not have that option selected.

I will see how my system goes when I do a re-install in a day or two as I will have to use this Laptop for both projection and video processing. I attend a "progressive" Christian Church and they have been very impressed with the projections that I do with LibreOffice. Now the MS person who does the video processing for services is away for a couple of months and I am the only person who has the ability to do the video processing. Wily came along just in time for me to be able to do the video processing as I had endless problems with previous versions.

Comment

I have not been able to find an ISO since the 12th September that will boot. I keep getting ubiquity crashing, I finally decided to write down the first line of the error, which is
                  Code:
                  /var/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/nm.py, line 225, in build-cache devices=self.manager.GetDevices()
                  I hope I got it right.

I tested the usb on two different systems and the same error was reported. I also used UNetbootin and that gave the same results. I found an ISO for the 8th September and that is currently being installed and configured, ie ubiguity is working on this one.

Has anyone else had problems with the latest ISO's?

Comment

I have now got my system working - sort off.

I am still having trouble with kactivitymanagerd stopping the desktop from working. I have my system come up with KSysGuard as this is the only way I can get at kactivitymanagerd to Kill it. Plasmashell this takes several minutes to then settle down and let me have a desktop that is usable.

I am wondering if there is any way to stop kactivitymanagerd from running in the first place as its presence places sever restrictions on using my Laptop.

Comment

I am wondering if there is any way to stop kactivitymanagerd from running in the first place as its presence places sever restrictions on using my Laptop.
                      Finally got it working. What I found was in my home directory I had files
                      Code:
                       [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]~/.config/kactivitymanagerd-pluginsrc
                      [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]~/.config/kactivitymanagerdrc
                      [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]~/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd[/COLOR][/FONT]
                      I added _bk to the end of all these files and then rebooted. My system made new files for kactivitymanagerdrc and kactivitymanagerd
                      Now it is working perfectly with NO SIGN of processing by kactivitymanagerd on htop - hallelujah!!

Comment

Yay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          Yay!!!
                          Thanks very much. I decided to check the dates of the original files that I added "bk" to and they were:

12th Sept 2015 for the ~/.config files and,
                          9th September 2015 for the ~/.local file

So they were not that long ago which makes me wonder which one caused the trouble why it or they were giving trouble.

Comment

I have not been able to find an ISO since the 12th September that will boot. I keep getting ubiquity crashing, I finally decided to write down the first line of the error, which is
                            Code:
                            /var/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/nm.py, line 225, in build-cache devices=self.manager.GetDevices()
                            I hope I got it right.

I tested the usb on two different systems and the same error was reported. I also used UNetbootin and that gave the same results. I found an ISO for the 8th September and that is currently being installed and configured, ie ubiguity is working on this one.

Has anyone else had problems with the latest ISO's?
                            Yes. a thumb drive created with unetbootin failed with a syslinux error, and the same one created with dd crashed ubiquity.

EDIT: The developers know about it: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/09/15...el.html#t13:46
                            Last edited by mparillo; Sep 16, 2015, 05:33 PM. Reason: The Devs know about it

Comment

Originally posted by mparillo View Post
                              EDIT: The developers know about it: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/09/15...el.html#t13:46
                              I had difficulty finding the bug at this address. But is was reported 4 days ago at this address:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1495194

and has been confirmed. I will be interested to know when this is fixed as the Final Beta is due on the 24th September and I am sure there are many who want to test it. In the past I have found that Kubuntu Beta releases are very stable.

Comment

QT-Cool

So is anyone a fan of animated wallpapers ?

if so you may have seen that the option for them is gone from "Desktop settings>wallpaper type" in 15.10

However it seems that all the choices that are their ,,,,,,,are directory’s in
                                Code:

[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ ls /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers [/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#5454ff][B]org.kde.color[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B] org.kde.haenau[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B] org.kde.hunyango[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B] org.kde.image[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B] org.kde.slideshow[/B][/COLOR]
                                [/FONT]
                                Now all these have the standard(well what seems to be from what I see hear) Qt stuff in them /contents/ui ,,,,, .qml's .xml's ,,,bla bla

I got to thinking most the anamated.gif wallpapers I had seen where just that ,,,,,a .gif with a .qml

So ,,,,,,,,,,,,I got to tinkering ,,,,,,,and ,,,,,,, I have one running on my 15.10 desktop

hear it goes ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DL http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=166584

extract some where ,,,,,,,,,,,it contains
                                Code:

[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~/Documents/build/qml wallpapers$ ls [/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#5454ff][B]cable[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B] firenew[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B] nature [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]ocean[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B] sunset [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]tornado[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B] waterfall[/B][/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#5454ff][B]fireflower [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]matrix [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]nature2 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]stardust [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]swirl [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]vista[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B] wave[/B][/COLOR]
                                [/FONT]
                                I chose to use the "swirl" ,,,you can look at the .gif's in each of the directory's /contents directory to see what’s what .

open a root dolphin
                                Code:
                                kdesudo dolphin
                                go split view and on one side open where you extracted the wallpapers ,,,,,,on the other ,,/usr/share/plasma/wallpapers

drag and drop the one you like to
                                /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers

rename it "org.kde.<nameoftheoneyoulike>"

inside it you will see
                                Code:
                                 [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~/usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.swirl$ ls [/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#5454ff][B]contents[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]  metadata.desktop[/COLOR]

[/FONT]

you can leave the
                                metadata.desktop alone ,,,,,,,,,,open /contents
                                Code:
                                 [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~/usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.swirl/contents$ ls [/COLOR]
                                main.qml  [COLOR=#ff54ff][B]swirl.gif[/B][/COLOR]

[/FONT]
                                cut both of these ,,,,make a new directory /ui and paste them in hear

Code:
                                 [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.swirl/contents/ui$ ls [/COLOR]
                                main.qml  [COLOR=#ff54ff][B]swirl.gif[/B][/COLOR]

[/FONT]

open the "main.qml" from your root dolphin with kate

Code:
                                import QtQuick 1.1

Rectangle {
                                     width: animation.width; height: animation.height

AnimatedImage { id: animation; source: "swirl.gif" }

}
                                and change the QtQuick 1.1 to QtQuick 2.0

save and exit ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,

thats it you should have the name of the one you chose (in my case swirl) in desktop settings>wallpaper type

Now on one or 2 tries desktop settings did not pickup my addition to /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/ for some reason that I could not discern ,,,,,on a subsequent try it did on another did not ,,,,,Go figure .

Obligatory screencast ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

☢VINNY☢
                                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                                16GB RAM
                                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                                X