Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In kdesudo dolphin, can the menu font sizes be increased? Perhaps minimum 12 point.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In kdesudo dolphin, can the menu font sizes be increased? Perhaps minimum 12 point.

The few times I need to change permissions where kdesudo is required, as in Dolphin, the menu fonts and basic fonts are too small for me to read without a great deal of eye strain.

Unlike fonts generally, where increased font size and setting minimums seem to respond to user configuration, Root applications seem to retain sizes reserved for the young. The zoom in features only seem to work with data inside the main window and leave the perimeters too small to comfortably read.

By the time I figure out how to read and understand these items, I forget what I was trying to accomplish.

I even purchased a magnifying glass to help, but the glare made that impractical.

Surely even amongst you gurus, there must be some with less than perfect vision. I just know you have figured the problem out. Please share?

The reason this is happening is because when you launch dolphin using kdesudo, you're launching it as root thus your user settings do not apply. In theory, one could change the default fonts for root and then dolphin would appear larger. However, I tried to increase the size of the font for root using "kdesudo systemsettings" and only the information panel changed it's font, which is odd.

One solution that will solve this is to install and use the "root-actions" service menus for dolphin. Then root actions like changing permissions are just a right-click away and you are using your users font settings.

Please Read Me

Comment

Qt Style Sheet

The Dolphin is a KDE application but it is also a Qt application. The appearance of the Qt applications can be edited with the Qt Style Sheets.

Qt Style Sheets: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/stylesheet.html

Making a qss file - only one line - bigMenuFont.qss:
      Code:
      QMenu { font-size: 24px }

Starting the Dolphin with the kdesudo:
      Code:
      kdesudo 'dolphin -stylesheet /home/rog132/Templates/bigMenuFont.qss'

---Edit---

Big font for the menu bar:

bigMenuFont.qss:
      Code:
      QMenuBar { font-size: 24px }

More:

- Qt Style Sheets Examples: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/sty...-examples.html
      - KDE Forums - How to set a pattern (image) as a wallpaper on Dolphin?: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=94717
      - Dolphin wallpaper: http://samuaz.deviantart.com/art/Kde...te-4-373661315 -> http://pastebin.com/wEnndQPw
      - Scaling: http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/41303

Code:
      /* http://samuaz.deviantart.com/art/Kde-GaiaSnow-update-4-373661315 -> http://pastebin.com/wEnndQPw *
      /* http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/41303 */
      DolphinViewContainer > DolphinView > QAbstractScrollArea {
            border: none;
            background-color: transparent;
            border-image: url('background.png') 0 0 0 0 stretch stretch;
      }
      Last edited by Rog132; Dec 02, 2014, 01:41 PM.
      A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
      Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Neat!
        Thanks, Rog132.
        I learn something new every day!
        (Remembering it is the problem! )

PS- mmm? Didn't work for me. Will study later to find out why. Right now the wif is calling.

PSPS -- my goof. Misspelled the qss name. Works great!
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Dec 02, 2014, 01:21 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Interestingly, using Qmenu only enlarges the menu item (which may be enough) but
          Code:
          *[COLOR=#333333] { font-size: 24px }[/COLOR]
          enlarges everything. It does seem to cause some graphically anomalies (a black line in some text) but works OK otherwise. The final addition to this solution would to use an alias to start dolphin with the stylesheet loaded.

I still think the root actions service menu is the best choice.
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Dec 02, 2014, 11:52 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Neat!
            Thanks, Rog132.
            I learn something new every day!
            (Remembering it is the problem! )

PS- mmm? Didn't work for me. Will study later to find out why. Right now the wif is calling.
            Worked perfectly @here Gerry, typo maybe?

Please Read Me

Comment

What is the actual name of the application? Are my rarely connecting two electrons engaged enough to complete the installation without help? It sounds like a wonderful capability. Thanks friend.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              The reason this is happening is because when you launch dolphin using kdesudo, you're launching it as root thus your user settings do not apply. In theory, one could change the default fonts for root and then dolphin would appear larger. However, I tried to increase the size of the font for root using "kdesudo systemsettings" and only the information panel changed it's font, which is odd.

One solution that will solve this is to install and use the "root-actions" service menus for dolphin. Then root actions like changing permissions are just a right-click away and you are using your users font settings.

Comment

Root Actions Servicemenu

Root Actions Servicemenu: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=48411

Installation: Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > Sevices > Download New Services > Install rootactions

Shut down all Dolphin windows and restart a Dolphin. There should be the Root Actions servicemenu...

Last edited by OneLine; Dec 02, 2014, 02:27 PM.
                Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
                - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

found it, ignore this reply.I hate it when I feel this stupid. I read your "Have you Tried?", my memory being what it is, I will have to re-read it a few times. I like what I am seeing though.

As far as your instruction to obtain the "root actions" option, The Dolphin Preferences-Dolphin doesn't seem to contain the selection "Download New Services" in my package. I was unable to find the next window "Get Hot New Stuff - Dolphin". I checked all the boxes just to make sure I did not miss anything. There were only a couple unchecked.

I then opened Muon Package Manager to try to find them, but did not find any there.

I have not attempted any of the above replies yet; this seemed to be a wonderful addition to my system, so I wanted to do it first. Thanks for your kind help. Can and will you straighten me out? Thanks!
                  Last edited by Shabakthanai; Dec 02, 2014, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I entered "QMenu { font-size: 24px }" into the command line and got the following:

steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$ QMenu { font-size: 24px }
                    QMenu: command not found

I entered "kdesudo 'dolphin -stylesheet /home/rog132/Templates/bigMenuFont.qss'" and got:

steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$ kdesudo 'dolphin -stylesheet /home/rog132/Templates/bigMenuFont.qss'
                    Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
                    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
                    QCss::Parser - Failed to load file "/home/rog132/Templates/bigMenuFont.qss"
                    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
                    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                    kbuildsycoca4 running...
                    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
                    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
                    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
                    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double) to NepomukPlugin::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double)
                    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::recentStatsDeleted(QString, int, QString) to NepomukPlugin::deleteRecentStats(QString, int, QString)
                    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::earlierStatsDeleted(QString, int) to NepomukPlugin::deleteEarlierStats(QString, int)
                    kactivitymanagerd(8502)/nepomuk (library): Could not find virtuoso to connect to. Aborting
                    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.kde/share/config/activitymanager-pluginsrc
                    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
                    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
                    steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$ kdesudo 'dolphin -stylesheet /home/rog132/Templates/bigMenuFont.qss'
                    QCss::Parser - Failed to load file "/home/rog132/Templates/bigMenuFont.qss"
                    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
                    QLayout: Cannot add null widget to QVBoxLayout/
                    QLayout: Cannot add null widget to QVBoxLayout/
                    QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to PreviewsSettingsPage "", which already has a layout
                    dolphin(8856) KWidgetItemDelegateEventListener::eventFilter: User of KWidgetItemDelegate should not delete widgets created by createItemWidgets!
                    (This line was repeated about 100 or more times, so I deleted the repeats.)
                    steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$ QMenuBar { font-size: 24px }
                    QMenuBar: command not found
                    steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$

I suspect I have an application to install, but do not know it's name.

Properly installed, it would appear to be a great help to me. Thanks

Comment

I believe I installed the Root Actions Servicemenu, but I do not know where to find it. Is it located in the View option of the Menu?
                      Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

Comment

Press Alt+F2 and type: kate /home/steven/Templates/bigMenuFont.qss and press Enter.

Type:
                        QMenuBar { font-size: 24px }

Save and Close Kate.

Press Alt+F2 and type: kdesudo 'dolphin -stylesheet /home/steven/Templates/bigMenuFont.qss'
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                          I believe I installed the Root Actions Servicemenu, but I do not know where to find it. Is it located in the View option of the Menu?
                          Root Actions are available when your right-click on a file/folder.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                          X