This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballo_file_extr killing performance

Several times each second baloo_file_extr misbehaves and at times almost enters a race condition where the load rises to 95% and the screen freezes for second at a time, with three or four seconds between freezes. This begin after the last update earlier today.

Code:
    04/04/14 06:40:26 PM    jerry-Aspire-V3-771    kernel    [78149.726072] baloo_file_extr[9917]: segfault at 10 ip 00007f30bcc17e78 sp 00007fff6d5a6530 error 4 in libxapian.so.22.6.3[7f30bcbd7000+1ec000]
    04/04/14 06:40:26 PM    jerry-Aspire-V3-771    kernel    [78149.740044] baloo_file_extr[9902]: segfault at 10 ip 00007f555116be78 sp 00007fffaf3593f0 error 4 in libxapian.so.22.6.3[7f555112b000+1ec000]
    04/04/14 06:40:26 PM    jerry-Aspire-V3-771    kernel    [78149.745332] baloo_file_extr[9909]: segfault at 10 ip 00007f355b714e78 sp 00007fffbe4fa030 error 4 in libxapian.so.22.6.3[7f355b6d4000+1ec000]
    04/04/14 06:40:26 PM    jerry-Aspire-V3-771    kernel    [78149.754077]  in libxapian.so.22.6.3[7f6214ffb000+1ec000]
    04/04/14 06:40:31 PM    jerry-Aspire-V3-771    kernel    [78154.761883] show_signal_msg: 88 callbacks suppressed
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I'm seeing this too. In my case, one core of my CPU is stuck at 100%. I've posted at forum.kde.org.

Comment

Please file a bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/

Filed Baloo bugs:

Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/baloo
      KDE: https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=baloo

Maybe connected - There is/has been problems with the baloo_file_extractor & libxapian:

Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...o/+bug/1300413
      #kubuntu-devel: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2014/04/03...el.html#t09:37

KDE bugs: https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=libxapian
      Last edited by Rog132; Apr 05, 2014, 01:04 AM.
      A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
      Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

I had to kill baloo_file, but from your links, this is useful if it happens again.

These issues are slightly hard to reproduce as they depend a lot on the file being indexed. You'll need to figure out which file is causing this excessive memory usage. Here is how you can do so -

$ ps aux | grep baloo_file_extractor

This will give you list on numbers. Each of these numbers represents a file. You can find out exactly which files those are by running balooshow -

$ balooshow 4 56 65 43 .. other numbers

Try running baloo_file_extractor on each of these files individually and seeing if you can reproduce it or is it only with all those numbers.

Comment

Wow, Rog132, your links led to this one: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTY1MzA

in which Linus castigates (castrates?) Kay Sievers for writing "crappy code" and expecting the kernel developers to hide the debug messages. Sievers writes udev and systemd.

When criticism was raised on the FreeDesktop.org bug report about this issue, systemd developers warned users not to discuss this matter on the BugZilla but to move to a mailing list or other discussion channels. Steven Rostedt ended up sending to the Linux kernel mailing list a patch that would hide the debug string from appearing in the kernel command-line as to hide it from systemd and reserve it just for kernel use. Steven wrote, "we OWN the kernel command line, and as such, we can keep the users from seeing stuff on it if we so choose. And with that, I propose this patch, which hides 'debug' from /proc/cmdline, such that we don't have to worry about tools parsing for it and causing hardship for those trying to debug the kernel."

That's where we now get another tirade by Linus Torvalds bashing systemd developers for making kernel developers work around their problems. Linus says he will refuse to merge any code from Red Hat's Kay Sievers until their code is cleaned up and not constantly causing problems. This will be a big problem since systemd developers are currently pushing for KDBUS as a kernel-based D-Bus implementation, and Linus made it clear to Greg Kroah-Hartman in the mailing list message that it will not be accepted until it's proven stable. Linus also said, "I'm not willing to merge something where the maintainer is known to not care about bugs and regressions and then forces people in other projects to fix their project. Because I am *not* willing to take patches from people who don't clean up after their problems, and don't admit that it's their problem to fix."
          Kay, I'm f*cking tired of the fact that you don't fix problems in the code *you* write, so that the kernel then has to work around the problems you cause.
          Greg - just for your information, I will *not* be merging any code from Kay into the kernel until this constant pattern is fixed.

This has been going on for *years*, and doesn't seem to be getting any better. This is relevant to you because I have seen you talk about the kdbus patches, and this is a heads-up that you need to keep them separate from other work. Let distributions merge it as they need to and maybe we can merge it once it has been proven to be stable by whatever distro that was willing to play games with the developers.

But I'm not willing to merge something where the maintainer is known to not care about bugs and regressions and then forces people in other projects to fix their project. Because I am *not* willing to take patches from people who don't clean up after their problems, and don't admit that it's their problem to fix.

Kay - one more time: you caused the problem, you need to fix it. None of this "I can do whatever I want, others have to clean up after me" crap.

Linus
          Look like systemd has more problems than just bad coding... and it will affect KDE development on KDBUS.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 05, 2014, 08:30 AM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            and it will affect KDE development on KDBUS.
            kdbus stands for "kernel dbus", it's not related to KDE

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              kdbus stands for "kernel dbus", it's not related to KDE
              Opps! I assumed too much. Pardon me while I wipe the egg off my face!

Comment

I haven't had any problems with baloo as since I don't need it I just added my home directory to the excluded folders in systemsettings - Desktop Search.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin77 View Post
                  I haven't had any problems with baloo as since I don't need it I just added my home directory to the excluded folders in systemsettings - Desktop Search.
                  This could be some sort of a palliative for now...

By the way, I still have a lot of nepomuk packages installed. Since baloo is suposed to replace nepomuk, can I uninstall them?

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
                    By the way, I still have a lot of nepomuk packages installed. Since baloo is suposed to replace nepomuk, can I uninstall them?
                    Some of them can be purged, but you can't remove all nepomuk related packages just yet (there are still some dependencies that prevent removal of some packages). Nepomuk is disabled, though, so having the packages installed should not cause any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin77 View Post
                      I had my home directory excluded too, but even then baloo_file was using 100% of one core.

I haven't tried it, but totally disabling baloo might work better.

Code:
                      $ cp /usr/share/autostart/baloo_file.desktop ~/.kde/share/autostart/
                      $ echo "Hidden=True" >> ~/.kde/share/autostart/baloo_file.desktop
                      Last edited by sparhawk; Apr 05, 2014, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I had to exclude most of my home directory, especially folders with large files. Baloo was acting as poorly as the previous Nepomuk. Not really a great first impression, especially after reading how much better (low memory footprint) it is than Nepomuk. I certainly hope it improves.

Comment

Apparently, this bug has been fixed. Hopefully it makes it way into Kubuntu soon!

(Does anyone know how long these changes usually take to filter down to Kubuntu?)

Comment

About Baloo fixes

#kubuntu-devel

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2014/04/07...el.html#t13:49
                            allee apachelogger: baloo not at git KDE/4.13 AFAIK. But I can confirm that branch KDE/4.13 is much better than rc (fixed 2 bugs for me) 13:49
                            allee releasing trusty with baloo from rc1 would not be a good idea IMHO 13:50
                            apachelogger that's why I uploaded baloo with patchery 13:51
                            allee apachelogger: ah. so will soon appear on https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/baloo 13:55

The Trusty-changes Archives: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/trusty-changes/

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/tr...il/014189.html
                            [ubuntu/trusty-proposed] baloo 4:4.12.97-0ubuntu2 (Accepted)
                            Harald Sitter apachelogger at kubuntu.org
                            Mon Apr 7 14:05:03 UTC 2014

baloo (4:4.12.97-0ubuntu2) trusty; urgency=medium

* Blanket import fixes between 4.12.97 and current git KDE/4.13 in
                            debian/patches/upstream_git/
                            A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                            Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thanks Rog132. That was quick! I've upgraded just now and I'll report back if there are more problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X