Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid bug is still present in 14.04 LTS. I had one core of my CPU pegged at 100% on my laptop, and my fan blowing hard. This is nuts. I have an SSD, none of this is required for me.

I know Mint deactivated Nepomuk my default. Is there a way to permanently deactivate baloo?

Comment

The method posted above by sparhawk seems to have worked for me. I've never seen any baloo processes running.

Comment

Strange stuff this baloo.
        It's about two weeks ago it would eat all my 8GB of RAM and then move on into swap, not pretty.
        A few days later an update fixed it.

Last night sitting here reading Slashdot I noticed serious lag, sure enough baloo was already consuming 27% of swap.
        After the first two attempts at terminating it, it just popped up again where it left off.
        The third time I killed it and hasn't reappeared, even after a couple of reboots.

There is a process called ballo_file running but not causing any problems.

I noticed Akonadi had an option to start indexing, clicked it and now the akondai_baloo_indexer also shows up using a few % of the CPU but not growing uncontrollably in RAM.

I'll observe...
        Because I like the idea of fast search.

Update, while typing this Akonadi_notes_agent gobbled up 6.5 GB of RAM so I killed it.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
          The method posted above by sparhawk seems to have worked for me. I've never seen any baloo processes running.
          Excluding my home directory did the trick. It config file now has a disable entry that appeared

Comment

I needed to kill process baloo_file_cleaner in adition to exclude home directory from search desktop to stop eating cpu.

And I found an interesting solution on Gentoo forum:

amauk wrote:
            After upgrade to KDE 4.13, this baloo indexer thing was causing high iowait on my system
            I just symlinked it to /bin/true
            Code:
            mv /usr/bin/baloo_file_extractor /usr/bin/baloo_file_extractor.orig; ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/baloo_file_extractor
            No adverse effects

Excellent tip. Thank you.

I also gave the same treatment to baloo_file_cleaner.
            Code:
            mv /usr/bin/baloo_file_cleaner /usr/bin/baloo_file_cleaner.orig; ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/baloo_file_cleaner
            The baloo malware seems to be asleep now without, as you say, any adverse effects.
            Last edited by josefko; Apr 19, 2014, 01:49 AM.
            Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko View Post
              The baloo malware seems to be asleep now without, as you say, any adverse effects.
              Baloo is not malware. Please continue filing bugs as you encounter problems. It's the best way for developers to learn about issues and improve their code.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                Baloo is not malware
                Yes I know, it was quote from gentoo forum. Baloo prepares computer for quick search. I think that after some time it calms down, similar as antivirus programs after first scanning. Who uses kmail cannot get rid of it entirely and especially for them is a workaround from gentoo forum I mentioned above.
                Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Baloo was hogging resources when it first activated. I followed Gavin77's advice and put my home folder into the "do not search" list. That calmed it down. After a week or so I removed it from that list. After a brief period of activity, 5 or so minutes, it has been very polite about system resources.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X