This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Radeon HD4200 - Drivers

Ok... so I have a feeling I know where this is headed.. but I will ask..

Daily Build 14.04 3/19/2013
    Device: ATI Radeon HD4200 Desktop in a Compaq P6633

I am not a big fan of ATI to start.. but it is not my machine... so....

The "new" Driver Manager gave no options for ATI drivers...

Digging the drivers out of the ATI site... shows Catalyst 13.1 1/2013 for the Radeon HD 4200

Running the .run file nets an error about kernel headers not installed..

BZZT! Yes linux-headers are installed.

Code:
    /usr/share/ati$ cat fglrx-install.log 
    Check if system has the tools required for installation.
    fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers.  /lib/modules/3.13.0-18-generic/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
    One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver.
    Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
    Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.
    I prefer the OEM drivers installed, regardless of the card...

So, while I have an idea where this is headed... I will ask...

Any input on getting this to work... . . . . ? ? ? ?

PS: BOTH nVidia and ATI need to knock this nonsense off! :mad: :mad:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

will install the headers.

Please Read Me

Comment

You made also need build-essential and dkms

Please Read Me

Comment

The ati 4200 is it still supported? I think it is a legacy card.

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

Comment

Drivers

ATI Radeon HD4200

Digging the drivers out of the ATI site... shows Catalyst 13.1 1/2013 for the Radeon HD 4200
          The AMD is telling:

It is the 'Legacy' driver - AMD support has ended: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._legacy2&num=1

AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

Published on 20 April 2012

In what will certainly be controversial and disappointing to some Radeon Linux desktop users, AMD will soon announce that they will effectively be discontinuing support for several Radeon product families from their proprietary Catalyst driver. After that point, for future Linux distribution updates, the open-source Radeon Linux driver will be your only option for accelerated graphics...

The Trusty has:
          - X.Org 1.15
          - Kernel 3.13

Legacy

Tomasz Makarewicz ( https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx ) has the Legacy PPA:
          If there will be no more driver updates made by AMD, than this repository will not support Ubuntu 13.10 and beyond. Use open source drivers instead (installed by default). If for some reason you still need Legacy Catalyst for Ubuntu 13.10, please consider this:
          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12823425

This repository provides AMD Catalyst Lagacy 13.1 (fglrx 8.97.100.7) drivers for Radeon HD 2xxx - 4xxx for Ubuntu:
          12.04 Precise Pangolin
          12.10 Quantal Quetzal
          13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you are using Ubuntu 12.04.2 make sure you got linux-headers-generic-lts-quantal package installed.

Ubuntu 12.04.3 is not supported....
          A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
          Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Your card is not supported by catalyst driver (fglrx) anymore. You have to use opensource (built-in) driver. For me it works great
            Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

This is where I figured it was headed... but just wanted to verify... Thanks....

This is just dumb by BOTH nVIdia and crApTI , and it is annoying .... :mad: Perfectly good hardware that could and should be supported....

So I will just find a cheapo nVidia card and replace it...

Thanks... but I use ONLY OEM drivers for graphics...

Comment

I also have a 4200hd and went through this a while ago. The open source driver is working good for me and ati or nvidia are not able to force me to buy anything. good luck.
                FKA: tanderson

Comment

Working...
                X