This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kwallet problems keep me out of Kmail

I was starting to like Kmail and Kontact when Kwallet went wonky on me. I tried what a poster on this forum suggested and deleted the wallet, but Kwallet won't create a new one. When I ask to do so it requests a new password and I enter it twice, but no new wallet is created. When another application asks to use the wallet, the new-password dialogue appears again with the passwords already filled in, and whether I accept the filled-in text or re-enter it the operation fails.

[I should also have said that after my problems with Kwallet I completely removed it with Synaptic, then reinstalled it, with the same outcome.]

As a result I can start Kmail but I can't see my email, not even those that I thought I'd already downloaded copies of (though as I've only begun recently to use Kmail I might be misunderstanding). Kontact works fine in all other areas but Kmail is useless.

These days I'm keeping most of my passwords in KeePassX anyway so I don't really need to depend on Kwallet. But the last time I tried shutting off Kwallet and rebooting I was unable to access my encrypted external drives for a few days while I fiddled around looking for a solution. And I never really figured out why they started connecting again, which was a bit spooky.

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by cdupree; Sep 22, 2013, 08:05 PM. Reason: Problem solved, for me at least
    Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Remove the following two files:

~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/kdewallet.kwl
    ~/.kde/share/config/kwalletrc

Re-install kwallet (if it is already installed):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall kwalletmanager
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 21, 2013, 04:06 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the advice as usual, Snowhog! Unfortunately the behavior is unchanged. When I run Kwalletmanager from the K Menu it never starts; when I run it from the command line I get the following.

Code:
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-cdupree" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
      Error: "/tmp/kde-cdupree" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
      Error: "/tmp/ksocket-cdupree" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
      kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
      Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
      Error: "/tmp/ksocket-cdupree" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
      kbuildsycoca4 running...
      Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
      QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kwalletd' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.9'

[2]-  Done                    sudo kwalletmanager
      cdupree@myhome:~/.kde/share/config$ Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-cdupree" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
      Dunno if it's related but at the end of the reinstall of kwalletmanager I got these messages.

Code:
      N: Ignoring file 'Release.key' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
      N: Ignoring file 'Release.key' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
      What next?

Comment

Open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo chown -R cdupree:cdupree /var/tmp/kde-cdupree

Comment

KWallet was driving me crazy as well, and not only with KMail. I use Kpgp and it was trying to be "helpful" there as well. So, I purged it using Muon and rebooted. To my surprise, when KMail loaded up in the system tray KWallet asked for the password again! Checking with Ksysmonitor I noticed that the purge did NOT remove kwalletd, the daemon. I deleted it and rebooted again. I was never bothered after that.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Okay, I tried chown'ing the file in /var/tmp but it doesn't exist. I tried removing Kwalletmanager with Muon (I don't see an application named KWallet in either Muon or Synaptic). What does it mean to purge it using Muon? It doesn't appear to be installed now, but when I rm /usr/bin/kwalletd and reboot KWallet starts right up again.

Here's what happens with a 'ps':

Code:
            ps -ef | grep -i wallet
            cdupree   2603     1  0 17:15 ?        00:00:00 kdeinit4: kwalletd [kdeinit]                   
            cdupree   3448  2717  0 17:27 pts/2    00:00:00 grep --color=auto -i wallet

How do I get rid of this thing? It's as sticky as couscous.

Comment

Originally posted by cdupree View Post
              How do I get rid of this thing? It's as sticky as couscous.
              I love KDE but am shocked at the way you can't simply 'cherry pick' what you want running or not, I get the same stomach knots I used to get with Microslop products, arrrrrrrg. But I don't use any of the KDE programs you spoke of, I use T-bird for mail.

This will remove the whole (well it's supposed to, you may have to manually delete orphaned files) package, do this ONLY if you want KDE's Personal Information Management (PIM) gone....

Code:
              apt-get purge kdepim
              or a safer option (will leave some files behind)...
              Code:
              apt-get remove kdepim
              Of course you could open good ol' Synaptic and choose 'complete removal' like I do, I love all that pretty GUI stuff, lol.

Comment

just my .

I also have found the "wallet" to be annoying at times ,,,,,,,,but have never had to remove it to shut it up.

just go to Kickoff>applications>system>KDE wallet manager>settings>configure wallet and uncheck the "enable KDE wallet subsystem" check box and click apply,,,,,,,,,,,it will never bother you again

+ in Kickoff>system settings>startup & shutdown >service manager you can disable more "services" you may/may not need .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The freedom of ...

I love KDE but am shocked at the way you can't simply 'cherry pick' what you want running or not,..
                  Of course you could choose what applications you are installing and using. There are many ways to get the KDE desktop ( http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...t-Installation ):

- kde-plasma-desktop
                  - kde-standard
                  - kde-full
                  - kubuntu-desktop
                  - kubuntu-full
                  - etc...

The kubuntu-desktop metapackage ( http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ll&section=all -> http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/kubuntu-desktop ) is depending and recommending bunch of packages. They are chosen by the Kubuntu developers - they are an idea or agreement what the useful desktop needs. But you could start with the big desktop and remove the unnecessary bits or start with small desktop and add only the necessary bits.

A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                  Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Well, I've purged kwalletmanager (sudo apt-get purge kwalletmanager) and deleted kwalletd from the disk and in Ksysguard, but when I reboot Kwallet runs again and fails as before.

I kinda like Kontact and the integration of facilities it represents. Is there any way to retain the Personal Information Manager while dumping Kwallet, or do I have to find another way?

Again, thanks to all for your suggestions and ideas!

Comment

Unfortunately this doesn't work, I tried it before I went to the lengths of purging Kwalletmanager. Simply turning it off in System Settings didn't affect the problem. I just looked in Startup & Shutdown-->Service Manager (didn't know to look there, thanks!) but I didn't see anything that seemed relevant. At this point I've removed the wallet software as far as Muon/Synaptic are concerned and there's nothing about it in System Settings. But the damn thing still runs!

Comment

Check System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Session Management > On Login and ensure that Start with an empty session is checked.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
                          or start with small desktop and add only the necessary bits.
                          First I must apologize to cdupree, it's not my intention to take over your thread or be off topic, actually, it is kind of related to your problem.

@Rog132...so exactly which KDE desktop package is the smallest initial install known to human kind? Serious question. And is the smallest KDE desktop package possible starting with a blank drive and a Kubuntu install disk (not having to 'downsize' KDE at all after getting to the 'desktop' for the first time)?

Edit: PCLinuxOS offers a 'minime' version, which is actually quite attractive except it doesn't 'see' my RAID, and you can still smell the Mandriva Mandrake, oops, under the skin, lol, was never fond of Mandrake.
                          Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 22, 2013, 12:36 PM.

Comment

See http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post271033

Comment

I use the low-fat package, I think it's safe to assume 'standard' is the smallest for a PC, thanks. I have this install trimmed down already except for GUI bling, love the bling, gotta have the bling, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X