This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot Kubuntu on Windows 8 UEFI System Fails Every Attempt

I have tried several times the past 24 hours to install Kubuntu 12.04.03 on this system (specs below), so that it will dual boot with Windows 8. No matter how I install it, partitioning in Windows first or using the Kubuntu installer for partitioning, or even installing Kubuntu on a flashdrive, I cannot get Kubuntu or even the GRUB options to boot, and Windows always boots automatically instead. In the BIOS utility I have disabled Quick Boot, Rapid Boot, and Secure Boot. I can set the BIOS to Legacy Only mode, but that causes my computer to fail booting any OS. I have CSM enabled in the BIOS, and try Legacy first. I have run boot-repair with almost every install attempt, with no results whatsoever. Is there any other way to get Kubuntu to dual boot on my system, without losing Windows?

System Summary:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 8
    Version 6.2.9200 Build 9200
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name HOME-PC
    System Manufacturer LENOVO
    System Model 10091
    System Type ACPI x64-based PC
    System SKU LENOVO_MT_1009
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date LENOVO ESKT20A, 10/22/2012
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Off
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\windows
    System Directory C:\windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.2.9200.16442"
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.89 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.80 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 4.58 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 3.47 GB
    Page File Space 704 MB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Drive C:
    Model WDC WD10EZEX-08RKKA0
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed No
    File System NTFS
    Size 486.26 GB (522,119,323,648 bytes)
    Free Space 417.94 GB (448,762,576,896 bytes)
    Partitions 7
    Volume Name Windows8_OS
    Volume Serial Number E472BE32

Drive D:
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed Not Available
    File System Not Available
    Size Not Available
    Free Space Not Available
    Volume Name Not Available
    Volume Serial Number Not Available

Drive E:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type DVD Writer
    Name Optiarc DVD RW AD-7290H
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Drive H:
    Description Removable Disk (USB flashdrive)

Display:
    Name Intel(R) HD Graphics
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0102&SUBSYS_365317AA&REV_09\3&115 83659&0&10
    Adapter Type Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible
    Adapter Description Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Adapter RAM 1.76 GB (1,885,929,472 bytes)
    Installed Drivers igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd3 2,igd10umd32,igd10umd32
    Driver Version 9.17.10.2792
    INF File oem1.inf (iSNBD0 section)
    Color Planes Not Available
    Color Table Entries 4294967296
    Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 60 hertz
    Bits/Pixel 32
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys (9.17.10.2792, 8.52 MB (8,934,976 bytes), 7/12/2012 10:17

PM)

Have you looked through the UEFI assistance forum?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My confidence in that forum just went from "cool, maybe they can help" to dropping through the floor reading this from a principle moderator: "Can't really say I'd have an answer, as I haven't built a dual-boot 13.10 machine on UEFI. I may need to take a look at what's going on and file a bug."

Comment

Do I take your reply as a 'dis'? Hmm.

I asked/pointed you to that forum because SteveRiley has fielded and posted many questions/replies concerning UEFI, and it is possible/likely that you would find an answer to your issue there.

Comment

I'm posting here in this forum because I'm a "newbie". I don't understand most of what's being discussed on that other forum. I'm feeling "dissed" myself, because this is my 2nd post on this issue, and there's been no solution here.

Comment

This may help you: The Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 Dual Boot NIghtmare

Comment

Thank you Snowhog. After following a few links, the solution is at http://askubuntu.com/questions/30801...2-in-uefi-mode, with instructions to install rEFInd in Windows. That was a very cumbersome workaround, but it's working for now (I am concerned that an update for Kubuntu may again cause problems.) rEFInd boots my system now with options to start Windows or Kubuntu. Two issues though, in the rEFInd boot screen there are 2 options to boot Windows, and 3 options to boot Kubuntu, yet only one option works respectively. The other issue is, booting Kubuntu starts the familiar GRUB menu screen, but trying to boot Windows 8 from here now produces: error: unknown command 'drivemap' and error: invalid EFI file path. So, rEFInd has overwritten GRUB. Fortunately I can access Windows with the rEFInd options.
              Last edited by ronald; Sep 15, 2013, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Windeez 8 horror stories

I feel you pain ronald
                I've seen this all over the place. UEFI, is not the problem. In my Rampage Extreme IV, motherboard, I have it, and it's disabled, but if it's enabled, I still don't have an issue. Again, it's not the problem.
                The problem is windows 8 and GPT. Most of the ones that, I have seen, gave up, and dumped Win 8 and the GPT.
                If you have a install for Win 7, I'd get rid of Win 8 and install 7. Win 8 has been replaced by 8.1 with the old interface cause MS didn't not sell Win 8, very much, except with a New PC and that may be the way you got yours.
                I know, it's probably no, what you want, but if it were me, I'd do just that and go to Win 7 and IMO, it's a much better OS.
                Those are my thoughts on the matter, and it's just my opinion.
                Edit: I want to add, that getting rid of GPT, is not easy and I'm sure there is someone on the forum that has expierence with GPT, because it makes a backup on the end of the disk, so people not only have to wipe the first few MB of the drive, but the last few MB, as well. I use Parted Magic live CD to work with partitions becasue, besides Gparted, it has a tool, for GPT as well. I haven't tried it though.
                You need GPT, if your hard dive is over 2.44 TB, as I understand it, otherwise, I'd go back to the old Dos Partition Scheme.

Comment

Thanks jberkpc, some options to consider. Windows 8 did come with my PC, and if I'd known then what I do now, I would have done more shopping around. I got a great deal with the hardware configuration, so I bought it. I absolutely hate Windows 8, I'm using a desktop not a tablet for one thing. I have a WinXP installation disk, so I might just dump Windows 8, when I can spend the time.

Comment

The problem is not with any of the pieces of technology here. Instead, it's the all-around newness of the technology, a lack of thorough knowledge and documentation, and changes happening very rapidly. As an example, we went through a period of time where no kernel would boot directly from UEFI because of some overly-conservative garbage collection routines. Now, it mostly works, but sometimes a wrong kernel config will create other problems. Installation attempts could be occurring when something else is broken.

Also, we get quite a lot of people coming here after they've already attempted to repair failed installs using old-style methods. BootRepair, for instance, is still not truly smart enough to handle broken systems with Windows 8 and UEFI. GRUB is known to have difficulties properly detecting Windows 8 and creating the necessary stanzas. In fact, GRUB's complexity has become so great that I now encourage its removal; rEFInd is much simpler.

Finally, a note about how I personally attempt to assist members here. I will frequently ask many questions and request the outputs of several commands so that I have a full understanding of what a system's current state is before I suggest repairs. Only this evening was I able to devote an extended time to the forum since you last posted in your other thread. I had planned on walking you through the steps to clean up your NVRAM variables and install rEFInd. I am, alas, only one person, who travels frequently as part of his job, and therefore am unable to scale well.
                    Last edited by SteveRiley; Sep 17, 2013, 12:07 AM.

Comment

SteveRiley
                      I'm going to completely agree, with everything you just said. UEFI is new and not refined, but is a vast improvement over the old BIOS, IMO.
                      I get really frustrated sometimes, because the first thing I do, when researching hardware for a new build, is look for Linux compatibility when I buy it.
                      I never mean to put down anyone, but sometimes, I'm saying silently: Why did you get that?
                      I know enough Linux to get a good install and fix a thing here and a thing there, and that's all.
                      My son, on the other hand is a Linux System Admin, but I don't bother him, much cause he generally on call, 24/7.
                      I'm 68 and I am sorry, if I seem inpatient sometimes.
                      My desire is to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jberkpc View Post
                        The problem is...GPT.
                        No it isn't. GPT is superior to MBR in several dimensions. Taking the time to learn it is a valuable investment.

Win 8 has been replaced by 8.1 with the old interface cause MS didn't not sell Win 8, very much, except with a New PC and that may be the way you got yours.
                        Not yet. The release date of Windows 8.1 is 18 October -- a bit more than a month from now. Windows 8.1 does not include the old interface. While you can configure it to boot to the desktop by default, programs are still launched through a Start screen, not a start button. In 8.1, the Start screen can be empty, which you customize to your liking. See The Register's review for more information.

go to Win 7 and IMO, it's a much better OS.
                        You will not receive any disagreement from me on this!

getting rid of GPT, is not easy
                        Sure it is. I'll do it on a spare GPT-formatted USB drive:
                        Code:
                        steve@t520:~$ [B]sudo gdisk /dev/sdc[/B]
                        GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.5

Partition table scan:
                          MBR: protective
                          BSD: not present
                          APM: not present
                          GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): [B]x[/B]

Expert command (? for help): [B]z[/B]
                        About to wipe out GPT on /dev/sdc. Proceed? (Y/N): [B]y[/B]
                        GPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using fdisk or
                        other utilities.
                        Blank out MBR? (Y/N): [B]y[/B]
                        I am sorry, if I seem inpatient sometimes.
                        My desire is to help.
                        Two attributes you and I have in common.

Comment

That is why I said this: "I want to add, that getting rid of GPT, is not easy and I'm sure there is someone on the forum that has experience with GPT."
                          And many thanks for the instructions on how to git rid of GPT.
                          You don't know, what you don't use, and I probably won't before, I get off the planet, I shall stick with the old Dos Partitioning Scheme.
                          I love to learn, but am way behind, in other stuff.
                          I boot to Wind 7, 3 Linux Distros, including 12.04 LTS and 13.04 and PC-BSD, so I'm doing a lot of OS hopping, and I need to get some some cherished LP's converted to CD's.
                          12:04 is a Rock, and I see no reason, to dump it , yet.
                          What a fella to do?
                          Thanks again, fir the corrections, but I will not buy Win 8.1, even when it's out, just as I did not buy Win 8.
                          Last edited by jberkpc; Sep 17, 2013, 09:10 PM.

Comment

SteveRiley, thank you for your response, I appreciate it, and I apologize for my impatience. It was my own fault to take on such a project which I'm so unprepared for. Also, I had installed Kubuntu on another system a few weeks ago, dual boot with WinXP, and 2 HDD's, so it was a breeze compared to this. I hadn't expected so much of an issue, but I should know better when Windows is involved. Maybe one day I'll be in a position to help someone, so you and Snowhog can get a break

I ended up dumping Windows 8, don't need it anyway. The only reason I wanted to keep it is there will be no more support for WinXP beginning sometime next year. The hardware on this system was worth the price I paid, so it's no big loss. I wiped the HDD and did a full install of Kubuntu 12.10. I had to run Boot-Repair to get it booting though, and fortunately the recommended settings worked. So, all is good now, and I've got WinXP running in VirtualBox (no need for dual booting, but I might try installing WinXP on a new partition at some point, since it doesn't have issues dual booting with Kubuntu). Although, I don't know how well WinXP plays with UEFI..... No hurry now though, I've got plenty of time to do some studying.
                            Last edited by ronald; Sep 17, 2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

In nearly all cases, running Windows in a virtual machine is superior to managing dual-boot. You should consider bumping your VM up to Windows 7 at some point. After April next year, Microsoft will completely drop all support for Windows XP. No more security fixes, no more patches, no nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X