Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black & white stripes instead of Kubuntu ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black & white stripes instead of Kubuntu ...

Hi all,

I'm a total newbie to Linux and I've been burning different distributions to DVD to try out, booting from the DVDs. I've failed to do this twice with kubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64; though I've previously done it successfully with Mint and Ubuntu.

When I try to boot from the DVD, the Kubuntu screen comes up, with a countdown on the left-hand side. When the countdown finishes, I just get thick, horizontal, black and white stripes filling the bottom two thirds of the screen.

I've downloaded, then verified the MD5 with winMd5SumPortable, then burned the image to a DVD+R. As I said, I've done the complete process twice.

Can anyone, please, tell me what's gone wrong?

Just to say that I've made a Fedora DVD since I posted the above; so I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly.

Comment

Sounds like a video problem. Specs? Can't help much without knowing what your working with...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Specs?
        I snipped the 'System' bit from 'basic information'; but I'm on a steep learning curve, here, so please bear with me if this isn't what you meant -

ETA - And thanks for responding.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 21, 2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Well, that tells us you're working with Intel graphics. Intel graphics chips have been a problem for awhile, but getting better.

When booting the liveDVD, try editing the boot line and adding some boot options. Start with nomodeset or video=vesa

Please Read Me

Comment

Many thanks, oshunluvr.

While trying to figure out how to edit the boot line (told you I was a total newbie), I came across a screen called 'Special boot parameters - various disk drives', which says, "You can use the following boot parameters by pressing F6, in combination with the boot method". One of the F6 options is your 'nomodeset'. If I check that, Kubuntu loads properly.

Thanks again for your help,
            a.

Comment

Hey- Good find! When/if you get it installed and you still need this option, go to /etc/default/grub, add the nomodeset parameter to the line that looks like this:

Code:
              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
              so when done it looks like:
              Code:
              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
              regenerate grub.cfg (sudo update-grub) and you're good to go.

Please Read Me

Comment

Will do - thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X