X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resetting Kwallet

### Introduction ###

Kwallet is a system employed by KDE to manage passwords etc. It used to be a pain but for the last few releases its actually been really good. However, occasionally (particularly after updates) it can go a little screwy and needs to be reset so that it behaves properly.

Unfortunatly since its so heavily integrated it can sometimes be a little painful to reset it therefore I'm writing this short guide. So rather than disabling it and losing functionality its easier just to reset it.

### Procedure ###

Logout. Drop to a TTY with Alt+Ctrl+F(1-6)

Then run
    Code:
    rm ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/*
    rm ~/.kde/share/config/kwalletrc
    rm ~/.kde/share/config/kwalletmanagerrc
    Logout of the TTY and then hit Alt+Ctrl+F7. Log in to your desktop and wait to be prompted. Go through setting up Kwallet and enjoy a functioning Kwallet again.

### Notes ###

This is generic for any distro but you might have to substitute .kde for .kde4 in the location as this can vary.

### Warning ###

You will lose all your saved passwords. Possibly with Firefox as well if you use Kwallet integration.
    Last edited by dmeyer; Feb 12, 2013, 01:12 PM. Reason: Fixed a command error plus warning

A warning that your reset procedure will discard all saved passwords would be good, I think. I'd be very unhappy to lose mine.

Regards, John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

i have never had to reset my wallet. what are you doing to your poor wallet to need to have to reset it that way?

since were talking about the wallet here. Some Notes on the Wallet and where to look for problems first.

There is a Control Panel for the Wallet.

System Settings -> Account Details->KDE Wallet

two tabs exsist Wallet Preferences and Access Control. the Wallet Preferences tab has all the options for how long to keep it open and the Wallet Manager (to remove /view stored passwords). The Access Controll Tab contains the list of the Programs that are allowed to access the wallet and what permissions they have. you should attempt to fix your wallet problems in these areas first.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
        i have never had to reset my wallet. what are you doing to your poor wallet to need to have to reset it that way?

since were talking about the wallet here. Some Notes on the Wallet and where to look for problems first.

There is a Control Panel for the Wallet.

System Settings -> Account Details->KDE Wallet

two tabs exsist Wallet Preferences and Access Control. the Wallet Preferences tab has all the options for how long to keep it open and the Wallet Manager (to remove /view stored passwords). The Access Controll Tab contains the list of the Programs that are allowed to access the wallet and what permissions they have. you should attempt to fix your wallet problems in these areas first.
        Yeah I know about this. Sometimes Kwallet can just go awry. It worked fine for 8 months then all of a sudden it just stopped accepting my passwords and kept prompting me every two seconds. Oh well. Was just a two second fix for a minor but very annoying inconvenience.

Comment

Working...
        X