X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truecrypt installed but will not start

Greetings,

I installed Kubuntu 12.04 64 and got most of my settings and applications running. I have installed truecrypt by downloading a tar file from the truecrypt site and all went well except that when I launch the application from the launch menu it will start loading and then will disappear.

Your help is appreciated.

Michel

I would really appreciate help in resolving this issue as I need access to some important files soon.

Thanks,

Michel

Comment

Which truecrypt file did you download? Standard, console-only, 32 bit, 64 bit? How did you install it?

If you launch it from the command line (with the plain command truecrypt) do you get any error messages?
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I installed the standard 64 bit "truecrypt-7.1a-linux-x64.tar.gz". When unpacked I get "truecrypt-7.1a-setup-x64" But I just realized then when I run the install the file being installed is a 64 amd file:

Code:
        TrueCrypt 7.1a Setup

Installation options:

1) Install truecrypt_7.1a_amd64.tar.gz
         2) Extract package file truecrypt_7.1a_amd64.tar.gz and place it to /tmp

To select, enter 1 or 2:
        When I try to run Trucrypt from Konsole (as user and as root) I get the following messages:

Code:
        michel@michel-Satellite-L650:~$ truecrypt
        bash: /usr/bin/truecrypt: cannot execute binary file
        michel@michel-Satellite-L650:~$ sudo truecrypt
        /usr/bin/truecrypt: 1: /usr/bin/truecrypt: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
        michel@michel-Satellite-L650:~$
        It looks like I have to install the 32 bit version?

Michel

Comment

Odd. When I run the extracted file:
          Code:
          ./truecrypt-7.1a-setup-x64
          I get an xmessage gui window, with a button labelled "Install TrueCrypt" - do you get a text-based prompt? Are you sure you didn't download the console-only version? (It would have a different file name)

After installation truecrypt is at /usr/bin/truecrypt - and this is a 4.7M binary file - so I cannot work out why bash is getting invoked.

Is your system 64 bit?

Comment

My system is 64 and I do get a text based prompt as I showed in my previous post.

Any thoughts?

Michel

Comment

Is your installed file the right size?
              Code:
              $ ls -lh /usr/bin/truecrypt
              -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4.7M 2012-02-07 11:05 /usr/bin/truecrypt
              Downloading a fresh copy might be worthwhile - and checking the signature, although I'm not familiar with using pgp to verify a download

Comment

Yes its the same size:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4.7M Feb 7 2012 /usr/bin/truecrypt
                I will try installing a new copy and will let you know.

Michel

Comment

Well it looks like the same as I have. Can you run
                  Code:
                  /usr/bin/truecrypt --help
                  (I get normal console help and a popup gui help window)

To check you have a 64 bit OS, what is the output of
                  Code:
                  cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep lm

Comment

I tried installing the 64 bit from here http://modifyubuntu.com/#truecrypt but got th esame result. Installing the 32 bit from the same link did not work. I downloaded the 32 bit tr from the truecrypt site and it works!

Can this bug be fixed / reported?

Michel

Comment

After installing and running truecrypt I got errors with the ownership and permission of the following hidden file and hidden folder

/home/michel/.TrueCrypt-lock-michel

/home/michel/.TrueCrypt/Configuration.xml

I changed their permission to user and allowed reading / writing / executing to group and now the error has disappeared.

Is this just me or others are having problems with truecrypt (one of the recommended Ubuntu applications!)

Michel

Comment

Don't run truecrypt via sudo - that was probably the cause of the permission errors.

I'm not sure you have a bug - just a 32 bit installation! I find it works fine. Why do you say it's a recommended Ubuntu application? It's not packaged in the repositories.

Comment

Michel, may I ask why you need TrueCrypt? I'm curious what potential threats you need to mitigate by using local encryption.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                            Don't run truecrypt via sudo - that was probably the cause of the permission errors.

I'm not sure you have a bug - just a 32 bit installation! I find it works fine. Why do you say it's a recommended Ubuntu application? It's not packaged in the repositories.
                            It says so here as I mentioned before http://modifyubuntu.com/ under useful programs

Michel

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              Michel, may I ask why you need TrueCrypt? I'm curious what potential threats you need to mitigate by using local encryption.
                              I use truecrypt to save personal documents like passport scans, etc... in Dropbox and professional / legal papers on the server at work.

Michel

Comment

Working...
                              X