This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting a BIOS/MPR installation to UEFI/GPT

I found the following guide for performing a BIOS/MBR to UEFI/GPT partition. This should be helpful for those who can't get UEFI mode to install properly. I haven't personally tested it, so I can't confirm it first-hand, although its reputation appears good.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/84501...untu-boot-from

A few thoughts as I read through the materials:
    • Note the requirement before step 1: you need a Live CD or another Linux installation. A bootable GPartedLive USB will also work.
    • Step 2 shows the result of resizing the existing partition and creating the new EFI system partition. Note the partition number vs. the start/end sector numbers: even though the EFI system partition is #2 in the list, its position is before partition #1. This is fine.
    • Step 3 contains a footnote to more information in the post below the first one. That information, in turn, contains a second footnote, suggesting using the UUID for the disk in /etc/fstab. I would recommend this.

If the GPartedLive USB can't boot your computer into UEFI mode, Rod Smith's rEFInd Boot Manager might be of assistance. He specifically mentions Gigbyte hybrid motherboards as being especially troublesome.

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    I found the following guide for performing a BIOS/MBR to UEFI/GPT partition. This should be helpful for those who can't get UEFI mode to install properly. I haven't personally tested it, so I can't confirm it first-hand, although its reputation appears good.

• Note the requirement before step 1: you need a Live CD or another Linux installation. A bootable GPartedLive USB will also work.
    • I used Kubuntu 13.04 LiveCD and am using it right now.
      Step 2 shows the result of resizing the existing partition and creating the new EFI system partition. Note the partition number vs. the start/end sector numbers: even though the EFI system partition is #2 in the list, its position is before partition #1. This is fine.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PartitionNewBuild.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	640317
      Step 3 contains a footnote to more information in the post below the first one. That information, in turn, contains a second footnote, suggesting using the UUID for the disk in /etc/fstab. I would recommend this.
      I recognize the terms but don't know how to do this.
    If the GPartedLive USB can't boot your computer into UEFI mode, Rod Smith's rEFInd Boot Manager might be of assistance. He specifically mentions Gigbyte hybrid motherboards as being especially troublesome.
    I have to return to the first paragraph now in your reply. It confuses me; I need to study a bit more. Same with rEFInd Boot Manager. Thanks friend. This is very difficult for me, but I am understanding a lot more. I will return to this post when I have more understanding. Thanks for your continued patience.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post

• I used Kubuntu 13.04 LiveCD and am using it right now.
        Step 2 shows the result of resizing the existing partition and creating the new EFI system partition. Note the partition number vs. the start/end sector numbers: even though the EFI system partition is #2 in the list, its position is before partition #1. This is fine.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	PartitionNewBuild.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	640317
        Step 3 contains a footnote to more information in the post below the first one. That information, in turn, contains a second footnote, suggesting using the UUID for the disk in /etc/fstab. I would recommend this.
        I recognize the terms but don't know how to do this.
      I have to return to the first paragraph now in your reply. It confuses me; I need to study a bit more. Same with rEFInd Boot Manager. Thanks friend. This is very difficult for me, but I am understanding a lot more. I will return to this post when I have more understanding. Thanks for your continued patience.

Comment

I read the first paragraph and studied the content of the link. I have to admit, I do not feel competent in doing this task yet. I don't know if it the use of so many acronyms, none of which are comfortably a part of my memory, or what, but after a while, I am confused enough to just have a brain-overload and have to stop. I am sure I will eventually get it, but I will have to work slowly because of my natural ability to make all available mistakes.

You probably noticed that I put both OS's on the same SSD. It appears that that may not be best. In your opinion should I use separate SSD's for the two OS's? There is one on my previous build that I can use, if necessary, a 128gb SSD. But before I can do this, I will have to get more comfortable with the terminology. I am off to that last paragraph to see if the solution is easier there. Thanks friend.

Comment

It will be some time before I am confident enough to apply what I read. The following is my 'Boot Option Priorities' in my BIOS:

Boot Optin Priorities

Boot Option #1 AHCI HL-DT-JT DVDRAM
          Boot Option #2 USB SanDisk (I used a flash drive to get the png of the partition table. It is still in the computer)
          Boot Option #3 UEFI SanDisk
          Boot Option #4 AHCI OCZ Agiliity SSD (where the OS is located)

DVD BBS Priority DVDRW
          HDD BBS Priority OCZ Agility SSD
          USB BBS Priority USB SanDisk thumb drive

Fast Boot Disabled
          Boot from on board LAN Disabled
          Setup Prompt Timeout 10s
          Boot up Num-Lock ON
          Full Screen Logo Disabled

Please select boot device

UEFI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS5O (I opened this first choice and got the following
          EFI shell version 2.31 [4.653]
          Current Running Mode 1.1.2
          Device Mapping Table
          fso Removable HD-Alias hd17cK0b blk0
          AHCI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS5O
          SDA: ST1000DM003-9YN162
          USB: SanDisk
          UEFI: SanDisk

It looks like Fast Boot contains Secure Boot. Much info referring to Microsoft Windows 8. I could find nothing anywhere in the Boot data that made a reference to 'Secure Boot'.

I can't believe it, but I am enjoying this even with the stress and confusion. I am going to return to see if I can absorb more understanding where confused right now, while I wait for further guidance. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X