X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More updates on Kubuntu's future

http://www.wonderly.com/2012/04/kubuntu-moving-forward/

No new news, really, but basically I would encourage taking any rumors, etc with a large grain of salt.

The info from David in the link above does not guarantee we have to make a name change for our beloved distro, but it does mean it has to be considered, and probably heavily so.

And so far, imnsho, most of the suggestions for a new name are terrible but that is due to the lack of cool/good/interesting names available. My favorite is Blue Gear Linux (Or OS if you will), but that is only because (I think) I made it up

I read it, but it still seems rather ambiguous as to the intentions of Blue Systems.

Now for the name... I think "blue gear" might not work if kubuntu had to alter their logo to something not resembling the one they have now, a blue gear. Maybe it could be a name that is similar to what the word "ubuntu" means. I mean, even though the name would have to change, kubuntu still is developed with the same launchpad privilages as the other official derivitives - and those derivatives all still have "buntu" in their name. Kubuntu would feel kind of isolated in the whole derivative community if it changed its name to something too awkward.

That's just my suggestion.

Comment

I like the thing I read at KDE someplace, "Go Blue! But KDE proper probably wants it.

Or how about KubuntuGlide in Blue?

With the symbol being a honking great hog with Kubu gears for wheels and a rider with a chain for a whip that sparks blue fire! We could probably skip the flaming skull, not to mix too many metaphores! lol

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDaisy View Post
        I read it, but it still seems rather ambiguous as to the intentions of Blue Systems.

Now for the name... I think "blue gear" might not work if kubuntu had to alter their logo to something not resembling the one they have now, a blue gear. Maybe it could be a name that is similar to what the word "ubuntu" means. I mean, even though the name would have to change, kubuntu still is developed with the same launchpad privilages as the other official derivitives - and those derivatives all still have "buntu" in their name. Kubuntu would feel kind of isolated in the whole derivative community if it changed its name to something too awkward.

That's just my suggestion.
        The logo is not part of this, as it was not done by Canonical, so in reality the only thing that might require a change is the name.

As to the other *bubtus, yes they have the name, but I do not think that they have anyone offering to provide paid support for it, which is the issue here in regards to the name and trademarks, etc.

Comment

I'd be careful about getting too close to Big Blue in the naming department. They're even bigger than MS now.

Anyway, nobody asked me. Nevertheless keeping with what's been happening in the KDE department, naming wise, here is my early submission:

K-Blue

Comment

My impression was that Mark Shuttleworth needs a maximum number of people focused on his favourite ubuntu unity development. From his point of view, he has now lost two very competent people from his team. I must say that if you want to see how "good" ubuntu is, just see the compaints on the Skype site http://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/bd-p/Linux where you will find all the problems are being exxperienced by ubuntu users. I have yet to find a kubuntu complaint on that site.

Like others, I am wondering if Kubuntu keeps the same name and continues to use canonical as a source of packages. If the change is made to Debian, I am tempted to think that one possible new name would be KDEbian. From my very limited investigations, the Linux distributions that Blue Systems markets do not have their name in the title.

Comment

K-Blue: No. I would not tie the name even remotely to anything sounding like Big Blue.

KDEbian: a clever typographical play, yes. But a bad name. Hard to say, hard to drop, hard to tell someone over the phone (when answering a phone or giving a reference), hard to specify verbally to someone how to spell it (caps and lc's etc.), etc. Hill-billy: I'm KDE bein'!

Need a practical name that also has marketing/communications efficacy.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

:cool:

Aquamarine

Comment

Kriddell.

Comment

Is that a riddle?
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I was going to suggest Kobalt, but a google search found that a power tool company is named Kobalt. Dont know if that would work.

Comment

Kawesome
                        Kaizen
                        Last edited by rms; Apr 20, 2012, 07:59 AM.
                        Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Klarity

Ive never been a fan of the KDE "name everything with kwords" thing, but I guess Kubuntu has to have a K at the beginning....

Comment

"Klarity" -- IMO fwiw, that's a good one; in the right direction. Not the least bit cryptic; it has the "K"; and it packs a message/intent/positioning.

Comment

http://www.klaritymedical.com

Comment

Working...
                              X