Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to move icons on the panel to the left & how to get system tray back to right!!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to move icons on the panel to the left & how to get system tray back to right!!?

New to KDE and so far it's just a pain, I can see why its way down the list on DistroWatch.

Why does it have to be so damn awkward to do anything!!!!

All I want to do is add a few shortcuts/icons to the main panel, adding them is easy but they go automatically to the right and canot be dragged to the left near or next to the Kicker logo button, I am currently in classic mode. I have made sure that widgets are unlocked, I managed to drag it to the left somehow but now the whole system tray has moved to the left (notification icons, clock, clipboard tool, update notification etc).

If someone can tell me that there is a simple way to do something so basic (at least basic in any other OS or DE like Gnome, XFCE etc).

I'm on the verge of deleting KDE as it is FAR TOO ANNOYING, why does doing something so simple have to be so awkward

Plasma

The panel is a plasma containment. More of the plasma: http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma

Moving the plasma panel objects:

1) Left click the toolbox / cashew icon
    The panel can then be configured by clicking on the toolbox located on the right for horizontal or bottom for vertical panel.
    2) Move the cursor top of the object - there should be a "compass rose". Left click and move the object.

Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Thanks very much for your answer but I have tried that over and over and yes the icon does move but it goes straight back to the wrong place and also I now have the problem of the system tray moving and sticking to the left (I have the panel horizontal at the bottom).

I can't believe I have spent 2 hours trying something so basic and still cant get it the way I want

Comment

Maybe with the spacers ?

What objects do you have on the panel ?

Example:
        - making a new empty panel
        - adding there a system tray

The system tray want to position itself to the left.

- adding a panel spacer

The panel spacer will push the system tray to the right.

Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
        - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

I added a spacer and it does keep the system tray to the right with a space between but now minimized windows dont appear on the panel and whenever I add a new icon/shortcut on the panel I have to mess around with resizing the spacer.

I have a better solution, open Virtualbox AND DELETE THIS CRAPPY GARBAGE, KDE IS THE WORST MOST AWKWARD DE I HAVE EVER TRIED, ****ING CRAP **** IT

Comment

Try Ubuntu 11.10 and Unity and then you will see whats awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by icekool View Post
              I added a spacer and it does keep the system tray to the right with a space between but now minimized windows dont appear on the panel and whenever I add a new icon/shortcut on the panel I have to mess around with resizing the spacer.
              You don't need a spacer if you have the task manager widget (the widget that shows minimized windows) on the panel, the task manager will act as a "spacer" and expand to the empty space (maybe you removed the task manager widget if your panel doesn't show minimized windows anymore?). You can move a widget (icon,notification tray etc.) either to the left or right of the task manager, but you can't put a widget in the middle of the task manager widget (even if it shows as empty space because there aren't many windows currently open).

KDE IS THE WORST MOST AWKWARD DE I HAVE EVER TRIED
              And yet it miraculously works for everyone else here. Besides, I've used most DEs and "panel editing" works pretty much the same in all of them.
              Last edited by kubicle; Feb 16, 2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                You don't need a spacer if you have the task manager widget (the widget that shows minimized windows) on the panel, the task manager will act as a "spacer" and expand to the empty space (maybe you removed the task manager widget if your panel doesn't show minimized windows anymore?). You can move a widget (icon,notification tray etc.) either to the left or right of the task manager, but you can't put a widget in the middle of the task manager widget (even if it shows as empty space because there aren't many windows currently open).

And yet it miraculously works for everyone else here. Besides, I've used most DEs and "panel editing" works pretty much the same in all of them.
                I think I may well have deleted the 'task manager' widget in my fit of rage, maybe I'll try KDE again sometime in the future, although I'm not in any hurry to do so, best solution for me was just right click on the virtual machine and very happily click on the 'delete' button.

thanks for your answer anyway

ps. with gnome at least when you add an item it goes straight to the left hand side by default which is normally where you want a quicklaunch item and to move icons around on a gnome panel you simply right click and drag it to wherever you want and it stays there usually
                Last edited by Guest; Feb 17, 2012, 05:52 AM. Reason: added ps

Comment

Originally posted by RibaFish66 View Post
                  Try Ubuntu 11.10 and Unity and then you will see whats awkward.
                  I have no intention of trying that garbage unless I get a touchscreen, and I'm sure it is god awful awkward.

Comment

Please, please, don't delete KDE. Stay with us, you're such a benefit to the community! We'd hate to see you go!

Comment

Originally posted by lo_koraco View Post
                      Please, please, don't delete KDE. Stay with us, you're such a benefit to the community! We'd hate to see you go!
                      LOL, yes indeed. Actually since you bothered posting your adolescent remark, it's petty little people like you that make it very off putting for someone who is very new to something, to go on to a forum to ask questions.

Comment

Originally posted by icekool View Post
                        LOL, yes indeed. Actually since you bothered posting your adolescent remark, it's petty little people like you that make it very off putting for someone who is very new to something, to go on to a forum to ask questions.
                        If you offer a flamebait rather than just ask the questions, someone will pick that up. Just a fact of life.

I think I may well have deleted the 'task manager' widget in my fit of rage, maybe I'll try KDE again sometime in the future, although I'm not in any hurry to do so, best solution for me was just right click on the virtual machine and very happily click on the 'delete' button.
                        No problem, use whichever DE that feels most comfortable to you.

ps. with gnome at least when you add an item it goes straight to the left hand side by default which is normally where you want a quicklaunch item and to move icons around on a gnome panel you simply right click and drag it to wherever you want and it stays there usually
                        In KDE, added widgets go the right by default if you double click them, but you can also drag-and-drop widgets straight from the "add widgets" pane into the panel to place them where you wish (placing widgets can be a tad tricky since you have to find the right spot between widgets to drop another widget...there should be a visual indication when a widget can be dropped there). I personally prefer the KDE way of handling widgets/panel, but there is no reason why you should...if you like gnome (or some other DE) more you should stick with.

Comment

I think moving the icon/widgets on the system panel is a very general operation that users need, if it is not straight forward then users would think it is uncomfortable. I also took some while to find out this forum then found the correct answer. I also think this existing behavior *SUCKS*. I don't understand why you guys **BANNED** someone that gave you such a good suggestion that this general feature/behavior, e.g. that the icons/widgets could be moved/arranged around the panel freely by dragging it by the mouse, by either providing a menu option or simply by the middle key of the mouse or something else, should be added to the current design.

Comment

Originally posted by yrh79 View Post
                            I don't understand why you guys **BANNED** someone that gave you such a good suggestion ...
                            You can't expect to spew the kind of venom seen in Post #5 and keep your forum membership. And the "goodness" of that suggestion is very much in the eye of the beholder -- I see zero value in it. A little patience getting accustomed to the plasma desktop, instead of comparing it directly to Windows XP, will go a long way to becoming productive with KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by yrh79 View Post
                              I don't understand why you guys **BANNED** someone that gave you such a good suggestion .
                              IIRC, he wasn't banned because of this thread, but for personal attacks on another thread (offending posts were deleted, again IIRC)

Comment

Working...
                              X