X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: setting up Kontact Kmail with g-mail @ others

Key words for an internet search to end here:
    How send mail SMTP server receiving sending Kmail Kontact g-mail google mail

PLEASE SEE MY POST BELOW: THE NEW GMAIL/KONTACT steps are changed massively.

This is a how-to on setting up Kontact(Kmail) with g-mail.

The "problem" with setting it up, to this author, is that there are several "port numbers" floating around on the net and at g-mail help and one has to choose the correct one for some strange reason. Especially with g-mail when one would think that g-mail would just use one number and let it go at that.

The how-to will be done in a step-wise procedure, there is no need for screenshots.

This how-to is written for Kontact version 1.2.9, on the Trinity Desktop Project (2008-2009) which uses Lucid.

First go to the g-mail account and make sure that when an external client downloads mail that the mail stays on the server and is not wiped in case things get bollixed up at the Kontact side.

as of this writing there is a small "gear" at the top right, next to your name, click it.
    click "mail settings".
    Forwarding and IMAP
    IMAP access: Status Enable IMAP IMAP is enabled.
    These instructions are NOT for POP, but you "should" see that in the POP download that in number 2 "When messages are accesed with POP3 it should say in a "greyed out" keep gmail's message in the inbox.
    At various times, I've had clients like Kmail (outlook express was the first one in which it happened) download messages and the server is cleared when I wanted to keep them both places.

I do not find anything in Kontact or Kmail that provides an option to clear the server.

Also, g-mail's information about IMAP says that one of the "advantages" of IMAP is that it specifically does not clear the server unless the client(Kmail) requests it.

So, my assumption is that the mail will stay at g-mail until I clear it there, which is what has happened so far, if anyone has other experience please post it.

To Proceed:

Open Kontact.
    Settings
    Kmail
    Identities.
    There is a generic default.
    You must make a new identity which must also set to default and you must also click apply, do not "only" click ok that will drop you out of the setup.
    Click Add
    Your Name, type a real name like "don" or the name you "want to use" in "your name"
    Organization: I put in "home" you can put in what you wish.
    Email-address: type in your g-mail e-mail address such as woodsmokeATgmail.com
    Leave the rest of the tabs alone you can come back and fill them in as your needs change, you can even put in a picture!
    MAKE SURE that when you have done this that the new name is highlighted(darkly) in system colours, tap it but do not open it and make sure that it is has the word "default".
    Click apply.
    Click OK.
    Accounts
    there may be something there but even if there is click add
    You will be presented with a requestor box, following is the information which should be from top to bottom as of this writing(remember that the "port" numbers seem to change, I will provide alternate port numbers at the bottom of this how-to.
    General Tab.
    Click Add
    (note: at the bottom of this box is "check mail on startup, which is not checked and do not check it for now you can come back later and do that. Also there are boxes for beep and "Detailed new mail notification(which is ticked) leave them alone for now.
    Receiving tab.
    Account Name type in IMAP Account if it is not there.
    Login: gmailnameATgmail.com
    Password: enter your password
    Host: imap.gmail.com
    Port: 993
    There are several boxes that you can interact with, but, ONLY do the following now, you can come back later to do other things as your needs change.
    Tick the following if they are not ticked.
    Store IMAP password
    Automatically compact folders
    Load attachments on demand
    Include in manual mail check
    Enable interval mail checking
    Check interval, the default is 5 leave it for now, it can be changed later.
    Trash folder: Local folders/trash
    Identity(it should already have your identity in there as a Default, or it may not but it will when everything is filled out elsewhere.
    Security tab.
    Encryption: tick Use SSL for secure mail download.
    Authentication Method: tick "Clear text".
    Filtering tab: leave it alone you can do stuff there later if you wish.
    During this process Kwallet will ask for a password or for you to store a password or you can let the "system" store the password do what you wish.
    Click apply
    Sending tab
    You are initially presented with a "sendmail" thing, do not use it, click add.
    You will get a popup box that asks for the kind of thing you want to use, click or enter SMTP. and ok.
    You will then get an interactive box to fill out.
    Name: enter the name you used in the receiving box.
    Host: smtp.gmail.com
    Port: 587 worked as of this writing, other numbers are listed below.
    Precommand leave it empty
    Server requires authentication tick it
    Login: type in your gmail address such as woodsmokeATgmail.com
    Password: type in your password.
    Store SMTP password tick it.
    leave rest alone
    Security tab
    Encryption tick "TLS"
    Authentication Method tick "PLAIN".
    Click OK
    back at the sending page you should see a new entry with the name you entered highlighted in system colors and the letters "smtp(Default)".
    There are some "common options" below, leave them alone for now you can change them later.
    You should see in the Default domain box your name.
    Click apply.
    For now, leave appearance, composer, security and Misc stuff for later.
    Click OK and you are back at the e-mail screen.
    In the "middle" box between the list of actions like summary, e-mail, contacts, etc. you should see now in
    Favorite folders
    Inbox of IMAP account.
    If you click it you will see a "local folders" appear in the lower box and then IMAP account you can tick the IMAP account symbol and it should relatively quickly, it may take a few seconds or a minute, and an interactive box should appear asking for your password, enter it and you will get a requestor from kwallet which you can use or use the system storage.
    You should then see that stuff starts downloading and you should see some new folders that should be something like this, depending on how you have g-mail set up:
    inbox with a green arrow pointing down
    drafts
    gmail
    queue
    sent
    trash
    and you should see a message of some kind in the pane to the right, I saw, surprisingly, the message from gmail!

There are other port numbers floating around on the net that differ from the one(s) at g-mail and are the same depending on what version of an e-mail client you use.
    I have found these: 993, 587 and 465 for in.

There may be "idiosyncracies" between versions of Kontact AND also the distro in which it is working.

The way that I test the thing was to e-mail another account, like a yahoo account, from within Kontact, while having Kontact open and also Yahoo mail open to see if the e-mail went to the "outbox" or it was sent. I had to "check mail" at Yahoo of course.

If things work correctly you should see middle pane an "outbox" symbol with an arrow pointing up and at some short time you should see a number under size indicating that stuff is in the sent mail, and sent mail will have a sidewise arrow.

If you INSTANTANEOUSLY get some kind of error message, it is almost a certainty that it is an outgoing "port number". I received such a message the first time I tried an outgoing e-mail and had to hunt the net, and g-mail for numbers and obtained the ones I have provided.

To try the different numbers; I just left Kontact open went to the "sending" tab, clicked the default (STMP) line and "edit" and entered another number, clicked apply, clicked ok and then double clicked the message that was in the out box. It then appeared in a seperate box, clicked send and it didn't go again. After I did this with the three different numbers it finally disappeared, with no error message, I checked the Yahoo account and QUITE A FEW SECONDS LATER that it appeared.

Apparently, and I might be wrong, going from the system on the machine, to the system at g-mail and then to the yahoo system takes a noticeable amount of time. I don't know it is just a thought.

If anyone finds a mistake in the above post and is a moderator please correct the mistake(and leave a note). If anyone else finds a mistake please post it and I will correct the item. If anyone has comments or questions, please post them and I will attempt to answer them although I am certainly no expert on this. If someone else wants to answer a question please do so.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: How to: setting up Kontact Kmail with g-mail @ others

This won't take long.

a) Yahoo.
    Yahoo will only allow you to read stuff "on the computer" if you want to pay to "upgrade". Or, if you want to change your "area" to say...Japan. I'm not kidding. If you look around on the net you will see many posts on this.

However, from the tenor of the newest posts, apparently, Yahoo has "caught on" to this trick and sometimes it doesn't work. Apparently, if it doesn't work you just change back to the "U.S." or whereever you are. Apparently, the main geographical region where Yahoo is doing this is the U.S.

BE AWARE that Yahoo uses POP and if you do not search around and find the button that says to NOT clear the server or to "leave downloade mail on server for" and change it to "never" Yahoo will clear the messages off their server either immediately or later.

B) Other ISPs, such as Mediacom.

Mediacom has followed the lead of Yahoo in that they have contracted with a company called "Zimbra" who provides very high end "suites" of what to do with e-mail, contacts, you name it. Zimbra suite really is a very nice, high class operation but one has to pay for it.

You can "download" your e-mail, contacts, etc. with .Ical, .cvs, you name it but there will be no syncing with Mediacom(at least) except for e-mail for something like Thunderbird or Kontact.

At least as far as I can tell.

I was able, indeed, to configure a new user and account for Kontact and download the messages from Mediacom but that is all. So it isn't "exporting and importing" it really is a download, but it is not a "sync" and one cannot "sync" things like the calendar or contacts. There is no function for it in the very complete and useful and workable Zimbra help. But, you are going to pay to do anything "offline" as far as I can tell.

However, since I'm using Mediacom, I am already paying to use Zimbra so... ok, that would be workable.

The settings for Mediacom AS OF THIS WRITING are WHICH I OBTAINED FROM A CHATROOM are;

Incoming
    :
Username: myname@mchsi.com
    POP3 server: mail.mediacombb.net

SSL (if available)

Port: 995

Outgoing:

SMTP server: mail.mediacombb.net

Security Type: SSL (always)

Port 465

To me, Google seems to be the only one that seems to want to actually allow people to do what they want to do, that is use "their" place or "my computer".

I only wonder how long that will last.

any comments especially such as updated ports etc. If mediacom changes things are EXPRESSLY requested to be posted.

If anyone has experience changing Yahoo to "Japan" or whatever, please post it.

woodsmoke

sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi
      two items, first the Kontact setup has changed for IMAP accounts and second, kdewallet is a pain as usual.

first thing second. As usual I had to delete the settings in kdewallet to get a gmail account setup on a new machine.

a)

Begin instructions for 4.7.2 as of 14 November 2011

RECEIVING:

General tab:
      your Gmail account name such as hooplahATgmail.com
      IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
      user name: hooplah
      password, your gmail password.

Enable interval mail checking is already ticked, untick if you wish.

Filtering tab:

tick Server supports Sieve if it is not ticked leave the rest of it alone unless you know what you need and can do it.

Advanced tab:
      IMAP settings section
      Leave unticked everything except possibly "automatically compact folders.
      Identity section
      tick use default identity if it is not ticked. NOTE the name that is in the identity box does not need to be anything that you might think. mine is my real name(harvested elsewhere).
      Connection settings.

Tick the autodetect, and you should soon see that the SSL/TLS radio button is dotted.
      Port should already be 993
      Authentication should be: clear text

SENDING:

I did not see a "sending tab" in the initial setup. When I tried to send I then got that setup. The setup is the same as in the first post.

End of instructions for latest Kontact.

sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

The latest update has simplified setting up g-mail even further.

in configure contact, setup kmail, one is given a small box with a list of options as to the type of account, and there are some "new" types.

One can also "search for other account types".

However, one of the options is "generic IMAP" account.

The next account, if you have Akonadai running previously, presents your name etc. you then enter your gmail account(with @gmail.com) and are also presented with incoming and sending with gmail.com already inserted.

One must put

imap before gmail.com in the incoming
        smtp before gmail.com in the outgoing.

and your password for the gmail account.

The only other thing that might happen is that Kwallet might pop and ask for your password.

Within seconds, it starts downloading your gmail mail.

very clean indeed! The devs are to be thanked MUCHLY for such a marvellous job.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

NOTE:
          For Precise Pangolin Kubuntu, the above two posts, dated Nov 27 and Nov 14 work.

Please note edit, I forgot to put a "." between:

imap and gmail

it should be:

imap.gmail.com
          smtp.gmail.com

One also has to "autodetect" the security, just click the button.

On the setup DO NOT FORGET the "sending" tab.
          outgoing mail server is smtp.gmail.com
          tick server requires authentication.
          I hae used my gmail name with and without "@gmail.com"...you should try both, I don't know why
          password is your gmail password
          tick store SMTP password

advanced

Again you HAVE to press the autodetect button. you should have SSL ticked, port 465 and authentication PLAIN
          the SMTP settigs box can be left with no entries

woodsmoke

sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            One also has to "autodetect" the security, just click the button.
            For receiving I used autodetect and it set itself as SSL and as authentication: clear text (if I translate correctly - the first option).

Is that correct? Shouldn't be receiving also as PLAIN? Is is save? I tried to set it manually as PLAIN but it couldn't connect to my account after that.

Comment

Hi gnomek
              That is correct and as to the "plain":

There are several "words" in that menu, and their usage is not always that intuitive. One just has to try them out and pick the one that works.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

The college uses MS products and the "exchange" mail system was not able to be accessed by Kontact for quite some time.

Depending upon the server to which you need to connect, this is what now works for me:

In Akonadai

username
                "mail.collegename.edu" w/o quotes
                password

Congrats to the Akonadai team.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Akonadi does not have an Exchange resource type (*). The email administrator at your university has enabled IMAP access, and this is what you're using.

(*) yet... but one appears to be in the works.

Comment

thanka thanka thanka! lol

woodneverknewsmoke! lol
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      Akonadi does not have an Exchange resource type (*). The email administrator at your university has enabled IMAP access, and this is what you're using.

(*) yet... but one appears to be in the works.
                      Exchange support has been in the works in one form or another since I started using Kontact in early 2010. First it was Evolution, then a promised adapter. As far as I know, you can run an intermediary translating server or something. Fortunately I never have to hassle with this.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                        Exchange support has been in the works in one form or another since I started using Kontact in early 2010. First it was Evolution, then a promised adapter. As far as I know, you can run an intermediary translating server or something. Fortunately I never have to hassle with this.
                        Evolution's plugin for EWS (Exchange Web Services) works well enough; much better, in fact, than their older MAPI bits. But the client itself is less evolved than KMail.

The intermediary thing is DavMail. I've tried it a few times. Seems kludgy and slow.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Evolution's plugin for EWS (Exchange Web Services) works well enough; much better, in fact, than their older MAPI bits. But the client itself is less evolved than KMail.

The intermediary thing is DavMail. I've tried it a few times. Seems kludgy and slow.
                          I tried the Evolution plugin, I couldn't live with Evolution at all. It just never felt quite right and I missed being able to quickly search for an email from Krunner etc. Glad the gnome side now has a good plug-in, can't wait for us to get something.

Comment

Working...
                          X