X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install and use Xephyr / Make Screen Shot of LogIn screen

How To (Let me Know of any Issues) (Works for up to 12.10):

1. Install Xephyr... Either through Adept Manager (that's how I installed it) or through konsole.
    . From konsole: "sudo apt-get install xserver-xephyr"

FOR up to v12.04:

2. [For KDE3.5]
    . Edit "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc" with kate as root.
    . From konsole: "kdesudo kate /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc"

....[For KDE4]
    . Edit "/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc" with kate as root.
    . From konsole: "kdesudo kate /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc"

. Change: [Xdmcp]
    .............. Enable=false

. To: [Xdmcp]
    ....... Enable=true

3. [For KDE3.5]
    . Edit "/etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess" with kate as root.
    . From konsole: "kdesudo kate /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess"

. [For KDE4]
    . Edit "/etc/kde4/kdm/Xaccess" with kate as root.
    . From konsole: "kdesudo kate /etc/kde4/kdm/Xaccess"

. Change: #* #any host can get a login window

. To: * #any host can get a login window

For 12.10 and above:

4. Edit "/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf" with kate as root.
    . From konsole: "kdesudo kate /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf"

. Change: [XDMCPServer]
    .............. enabled=false

. To: [XDMCPServer]
    ....... enabled=true

5. Reboot your system.

6. After rebooting. Log in. Start Konsole.
    . From konsole: "Xephyr -query localhost -screen 800x600 :1"

7. This should bring up a screen @ the designated resolution of 800x600. I personally used
    . 1024x768 as that is what my Log-in Splash was designed for (base).

8. Use "Ksnapshot" to make a screen shot of the resulting screen that appears.

9. If using Xephyr results in a Window with a grey background, then you are experiencing some kind
    . of "interference" from another device. I've never fully found what that "Interference" was. What I
    . did find out for me is if I closed "knetworkmanager" and disabled my network card, it would work.
    . This wasn't on all machines I tried it on. As of Kubuntu 8.04 HH KDE3.5.9 that problem doesn't
    . appear to occur. With 8.04 KDE4 and 8.10, it seems more prominent. Further research shows that
    . Xephyr can be used to "connect" to other machines, hence the "localhost" in it's command line. Based
    . on that observation and reading, it seems this issue is a network configuration problem. What? I don't
    . know. The work around is as I've stated at the beginning of this ramble.

EDIT: Observation relating to #9. After still always experiencing this issue I have found that it relates to a system being in a MS Windows Domain. Specifically one controlled by MS Servers. On my home network if I remove the server from the router/switch/hub and leave the system that Xephyr is to be run on that router/switch/hub it works flawlessly. What ever Xephyr is sending to ID the system evidently isn't routable or understood by Windows Server. At least that is how it appears. At work the same thing holds true.
    Last edited by MoonRise; Oct 21, 2012, 12:15 PM.

Re: How to install and use Xephyr / Make Screen Shot of LogIn screen

Yes, posting a question to an old topic, but it's relevant.

I followed the instructions, installing xserver-xephyr, editing kdmrc and Xaccess files accordingly. Rebooted, opened a console and typed:
    Xephyr -query localhost -screen 1024x768 :1
    This did not work. Turns out that the Xephyr command has changed. No problem, read the man page. That, and some Googling shows that this "should" work:
    Code:
    Xephyr :1 -query localhost -host-cursor -screen 1024x768
    and it does, in that it opens a new window of the specified size, and the mouse cursor is 'captured' but that's all. Just a black screen. When quiting the window, these are the warnings that are left:
    [dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic, removing from list!
    unrecognised device identifier!
    (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
    XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
    after 45 requests (45 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    Not worried about the first item, but would like to know if anyone has discovered how to use Xephyr to get the KDM Login Screen displayed so one can take a snapshot of it?

Karmic 9.10, KDE 4.3.4.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Solved it! Here is the correct syntax to use:
      Code:
      Xephyr :1 -query 127.0.0.1 -screen 1024x768
      Specifically, I had to use the 'localhost' IP address instead of 'localhost' and it works like a champ. I'm uploading the screenshot to the Image Gallery.

Comment

Yep...I gave up on this for my desktop where I do most of my work. Never could get it working again. All I ever get is a black screen anymore. Works on my laptop though. Never have figured out what the deal is with my desktop and Xephyr. Any way, those error messages you had are normal, from what I was told.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
          Yep...I gave up on this for my desktop where I do most of my work. Never could get it working again.
          Did you try using the actual IP address for 'localhost' (as it is identified from ifconfig[listing for lo, inet addr:]) on your desktop PC?

Comment

Yep. I did after I saw your post. I wonder why I never thought of that, but, unfortunately I still have a black screen.

Comment

And you have verified that the two files have been changed accordingly?

Comment

Yep, but I found a way to get mine working and it is odd. Make sure I'm assigned an IP. Then disconnect my WAN connection and any other network components off the router. The only thing attached to the router is the desktop. Run the command and there you go. Now, at work I don't have to do that. Get my IP and run the command and there you go. My home network really isn't that different from work. I built both. The only thing is I use a Belkin Broadband router and at work I use Netgear Switches. As I said, weird, but I can get it to work.

Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Updated.

Comment

Edited to include Note about 12.10 and LightDM. Seems to work but only have to edit the one file mentioned in the Note.

Edited
                      Last edited by MoonRise; Oct 21, 2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I wonder with the new Display Manager (Wayland) will affect the use of Xephyr?

Comment

Working...
                        X