This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 3.5.5 released for kubuntu

As the topic says, KDE 3.5.5 has been released for kubuntu.

In short:
    Significant enhancements include:
    • Version 0.12.3 of Kopete replaces 0.11.3 in KDE 3.5.5, it includes support for Adium themes, performance improvements and better support for the Yahoo! and Jabber protocols.
    • Support for sudo in kdesu.
    • Support for input shape from XShape1.1 in KWin (KDE window manager).
    • Lots of speed improvements and fixes in Konqueror's HTML engine, KHTML.
    • CUPS 1.2 support in KDEPrint.
    • Big improvements in the number of translated interface elements in Chinese Traditional, Farsi, Khmer, Low Saxon and Slovak translations.
    The packages are uploading to edgy repos, dapper packages are available from kubuntu.org as usual:
    http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-355.php

More information about 3.5.5:
    http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.5.5.php
    http://www.kde.org/info/3.5.5.php

Re: KDE 3.5.5 released for kubuntu

Will 3.5.5 be included in Kubuntu 6.10 final later this month?

Comment

Originally posted by greggh
      Will 3.5.5 be included in Kubuntu 6.10 final later this month?
      I would assume so, as it made it to the edgy main repos (as opposed to the kubuntu.org repos)...can't promise it 100%, though :P

Comment

how to install this kde 3.5.5 in ubuntu desktop

Comment

HI All
          I updated to KDE 3.5.5 release after the re-boot my screen colors got missed up . Checked the wallpaper background and it looked okay on several, but I like the Kubuntu background. So I thought about degaussing. I have not had to do it for awhile. I deguassed and my screen is back to normal

I have tried several different apps and all is working great.

I hope all goes great for you'll

Good Luck

Comment

I did what the main instructions said, and it installed fine on my VMWare image at work. Seems to be running great.

Only thing I noticed was that package kdeedu wouldn't be installed because it depended on blinker (Or something like that) and that wouldn't be installed because it relied on ttf-sjfonts which wasn't avaliable at all.

So I have a bit of a broken Adept Updater, says there's an update but it won't do it. Kind of a nit pick, but annoying. I'll have to wait to see how that pans out before trying 3.5.5 on any other of my computers.

Otherwise flawless. Another great release.
            https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/267216

Comment

Anyone else wondering why the kubuntu dapper packages does not contain the new kopete version?
              Also the 3.5.4 repository contains kaffeine 0.8.1 which is not available anymore.

Is this intended?

Comment

I'm new to kubuntu and easy installations in linux.
                How do I install the new KDE version without using old style wget url and then rest of the text commands to install it?
                Can it be done via the nifty automatic add/remove programs installer?

Comment

Originally posted by lithium
                  Anyone else wondering why the kubuntu dapper packages does not contain the new kopete version?
                  I posted one possible reason here:
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=9828

Originally posted by Xerfas
                  I'm new to kubuntu and easy installations in linux.
                  How do I install the new KDE version without using old style wget url and then rest of the text commands to install it?
                  Can it be done via the nifty automatic add/remove programs installer?
                  You can (and should) install kde 3.5.5 with a package manager. To do that, however, you have to add the kde 3.5.5 repository to your software package sources, a process which is described in the release page.

The first part describes howto install Jonathan Riddell's (kubuntu developer) gpg-key to your list of trusted keys...using the key you can be sure the package haven't been tampered with. (adding the key is not absolutely necessary, but your package manager may warn you that you're installing 'untrusted' packages)

All the packages at kubuntu.org have been signed by this key, so you only have to do this once...after which you can install current and future upgrades from kubuntu.org with the same key.

1. Just run these commands in the konsole
                  Code:
                  wget [url]http://people.ubuntu.com/~jriddell/kubuntu-packages-jriddell-key.gpg[/url]
                  (Downloads the key)
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-key add kubuntu-packages-jriddell-key.gpg
                  (Adds the key to the trusted keys)

The second part is adding the package repository to your sources.list (it's a file that lists the addresses of the repositories). You can do this from most package managers, but usually it's quickest and easiest with a text editor like kate.
                  1. Run
                  Code:
                  kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
                  (Opens up sources.list file with the kate editor...with root privileges so you can save the file)
                  2. Add one of the repositories to the file (just copy the repository line after the old ones, note the spaces)
                  Possible repositories:
                  deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-355 dapper main
                  (The 'standard' 3.5.5 repository)
                  deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-latest dapper main
                  (This repository always points to the latest version of kde, so you won't have to change it every time a new version of kde comes out...although there is a slight delay when a new version comes out before it comes available through this repository, usually a few days to a week)

3. Save the file (kate should automatically create a backup named sources.list~ to /etc/apt so you can revert in case you made a typo)

4. Now you can install the new packages with your favorite package manager (apt-get, aptitude, adept, synaptic), just remember to refresh the package lists in your package manager, the updates won't show until you do that (In Adept you can do that with the 'Fetch Updates' button)

Comment

Originally posted by david23
                    The process is the same as in kubuntu, of course you need to have KDE ('kubuntu-desktop') installed to upgrade

Comment

Is this version also supported for 5.10?

Comment

Great work everyone involved !

I switched from Mandriva in part to be able to install the latest KDE easily as soon as it is released. And that's exactly what I am getting.

3.5.5 installed just flawlessly. Many thanks to the KDE and Kubuntu teams!

Comment

Originally posted by polopolo
                          Is this version also supported for 5.10?
                          Don't think so, at least not officially (and I think the dependency requirements might be too much for Breezy)

Comment

Originally posted by lithium
                            Looks like the latest version has made it to the repos, so it should be available now

Comment

Originally posted by david23
                              it installs real easy through automatix

http://www.getautomatix.com

Comment

Working...
                              X