Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What PIM Suite/Email client do you recommend?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Veteran Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    09:48 AM

Question What PIM Suite/Email client do you recommend?

Hi Folks,
    I am wondering what open-source PIM suite I should choose to replace Kontact/KMail.

I have been using Kontact for a long time, but recently I have been having more and more issues, first with M$ Exchange accounts (that was not an issue before I started working in a Windows-dominated environment) and now with my Google account. I was able to set up IMAP email from my M$ Exchange account and after some trouble also from Google/Gmail, but the Calendars appear to be hopeless.

I let this slide for a good while, but now that I am working from home (for obvious reasons...), the limitations of Kontact become painfully evident and I really need to do something about it. For example I recently missed a conference call, because Kontact/KMail did not display the time zone in an Outlook Calendar Invite correctly.

So, I am now shopping around for a good open-source solution that will run on my kubuntu box (16.04) and can handle Google accounts (email and calendar - that is a must) and ideally also plays nice with M$ Office/Exchange.
    I've heard good things about Evolution in this regard.

Any opinions/recommendations? What do you use, and do you like it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Chopstick; Mar 27th 2020 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typo and icon

2. Back To Top    #2
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    08:48 AM
    When my iPhone6+ bellied up with Apple's "Touch Disease" (their euphemism for poor engineering) rather than pay $600 for a "repaired" (i.e. used) iPhone 6+ I decided to try Android and bought an unlocked Redmi Note 7 from Amazon for $185. Awesome phone! I installed the "Calendar App - Calendar 2019, Reminder, ToDos" from "Useful Handy Apps". I synced it with my Google email account and activated the Google calendar on my Chromium browser, along with Drive, Contacts, Photos, Duo (for facetime to iPhones also), sheets, slides, Hangouts, and more. On my Kubuntu 20.04 I connect to my ISP email service using IMAP on Thunderbird. The GMail app installed on my phone allows me to connect to both my GMail and my ISP mail with the GMail. I switch between them by touching my face icon. And, things work equally well with my FireFox browser.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Veteran Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    Thanks for your response! I should probably add that I am specifically looking for a desktop application. On my phone everything except the M$ Exchange calendar from my work is working; the M$ calendar is read-only, which I can live with, since I mainly edited my calendar in the office - until now that is! No I need a PIM suite where I can edit my Exchange calendar. Google stuff works smoothly on my phone, which is a Fairphone 2 with LinageOS installed; I have very limited google service installed - mainly the PlayStore and location services, which I usually switch off. Overall I'm very happy with my phone! - But not with my current desktop setup (which is actually a Thinkpad with external monitor and keyboard).

4. Back To Top    #4
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    The pickings are slim....
    https://www.linuxlinks.com/pim/

Personal Information Managers
    Evolution Integrated mail, addressbook and calendaring functionality
    Kontact Unites mature and proven applications
    Lightning Adds calendar and scheduling functionality to the Mozilla Thunderbird
    Org mode Mode for the Emacs text editor
    Makagiga To-do manager, RSS reader, notepad, widgets, image viewer
    Osmo Personal organizer, which includes calendar, task manager and address book modules
    TreeLine Stores almost any kind of information
    qOrganizer A general organizer

5. Back To Top    #5
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    Just for grins and giggles I added Lightening to my Thunderbird Mail. Works nice for me but I don't know if it would fit your needs.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Veteran Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    I used to use Thunderbird+Lightning 15 years ago, when I was still on Windows and just getting interested in open-source. It worked fine for me, but I was a student then. Thanks for the list above - I will take a look at it.
    I have a feeling the main contenders will be Thunderbird+Lightning and Evolution. From your experience, do you know how Thunderbird+Lightning works with Google and M$ accounts?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Veteran Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    I used to use Thunderbird+Lightning 15 years ago, when I was still on Windows and just getting interested in open-source. It worked fine for me, but I was a student then. Thanks for the list above - I will take a look at it.
    I have a feeling the main contenders will be Thunderbird+Lightning and Evolution. From your experience, do you know how Thunderbird+Lightning works with Google and M$ accounts?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    I have Lightening installed and when I make an entry into Lightning's calendar on Thunderbird it appears on the Calendar on my Google account. But, it's free and easy to use. If it will be satisfactory for your use case depends entirely on your use case.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Veteran Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    Good to know that Google accounts work - Thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Veteran Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    Btw. GreyGeek, you mentioned you are using kubuntu 20.04 - is that a beta release? how is that working out for you? I was going to upgrade to 20.04 in April with the official release.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast