Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

--- is an executable program. For safety it will not be started.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] --- is an executable program. For safety it will not be started.

I downloaded the ksnip AppImage with this link: https://github.com/ksnip/ksnip/relea...86_64.AppImage.

I made it executable using Dolphin's GUI.

Here's what I see in the terminal:
    Code:
    $ ls -l
    total 25860
    drwxr-xr-x  2 dkb dkb     4096 Feb  4 18:40 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 16 dkb dkb     4096 Feb  4 18:15 ../
    -rwxrwxr-x  1 dkb dkb 26468392 Feb  4 18:39 ksnip-1.6.0-continuous-x86_64.AppImage*
    $
    Double-clicking on it in Dolphin shows me the image below (although I can launch it just fine from Dolphin by right-clicking on it and then choosing Actions > Run in Konsole option).
    Attached Files
    Kubuntu 20.04

I am not seeing this here. It works as expected, with all the normal dialogs.

I used the deb version in the end, though the appimage's 25 mb versus 337 kb is not really bloated these days . The appimage is technically slightly fresher than the deb, the only recent changes are translation files.

Mabe the build you grabbed was corrupted, or there was something else wrong with the file?

Comment

From what I read... try setting Dolphin to ask for confirmation.
      Settings, Configure Dolphin, General, Confirmations, When opening an executable file, Always ask.
      Executing without it may have been disabled - which, paranoia-wise - makes some sense.
      I've always had it set, so I wouldn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        I am not seeing this here. It works as expected, with all the normal dialogs.

I used the deb version in the end, though the appimage's 25 mb versus 337 kb is not really bloated these days . The appimage is technically slightly fresher than the deb, the only recent changes are translation files.

Mabe the build you grabbed was corrupted, or there was something else wrong with the file?
        Well, it works when launched from the terminal. All the same, I'll try the .deb version as well.

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
        From what I read... try setting Dolphin to ask for confirmation.
        Settings, Configure Dolphin, General, Confirmations, When opening an executable file, Always ask.
        Executing without it may have been disabled - which, paranoia-wise - makes some sense.
        I've always had it set, so I wouldn't know.
        It was set to "Always ask" but when I changed it to "Run script" it works!!!

And the .deb installed using QApt Installer works as well! I'll just use the deb version
        Last edited by chimak111; Feb 04, 2020, 08:56 AM.
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Odd. Mine is set to Always Ask.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

So is mine.
            And it is odd. It's an insecurity feature

I guessed the idea was, single-click on something by mistake, potentially dangerous, unless you ask for confirmation, you can't, you thoughtless noob.
            This way, if you don't ask for confirmation, you can click on all the mistaken stuff you want, do the potential damage, and not even know it.

Comment

Just for comparison, I downloaded https://bintray.com/probono/AppImage...86_64.AppImage. That works fine with Dolphin set to "Always ask".
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Then it may be a bad file, I'd venture.

Comment

Working...
                X