Commercial Support / Emerge Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commercial Support / Emerge Open

Does anyone know if there is any company providing commercial support for small enterprises using Kubuntu / Plasma DE?

The Kubuntu website points towards an initiative with a company called Emerge Open that appears to have been launched in 2013 (https://kubuntu.org/support/) but emails and phone calls unanswered lead me to believe that this is not longer working. Ubuntu is Gnome-only (dropped support for Kubuntu/Plasma) and has a 10 user minimum limit. Red Hat doesn't seem to have a desktop package any more only workstation (and besides RHEL is gnome). SUSE has no minimums but only supports SLED in Gnome.

Not sure where to turn. Any advice much appreciated.

Frankly speaking, I have not heard of Kubuntu being used at enterprises, at least not in my country. Therefore, of course, I do not know such a company.

Comment

Well I guess you could always purchase support for ubuntu server, and run the DE of your choice. Same for SUSE enterprise or RHEL I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by rjbiii View Post
        Does anyone know if there is any company providing commercial support for small enterprises using Kubuntu / Plasma DE?

The Kubuntu website points towards an initiative with a company called Emerge Open that appears to have been launched in 2013 (https://kubuntu.org/support/) but emails and phone calls unanswered lead me to believe that this is not longer working. Ubuntu is Gnome-only (dropped support for Kubuntu/Plasma) and has a 10 user minimum limit. Red Hat doesn't seem to have a desktop package any more only workstation (and besides RHEL is gnome). SUSE has no minimums but only supports SLED in Gnome.

Not sure where to turn. Any advice much appreciated.
        It is interesting to know why you have a desire to install kubuntu in your company?

Comment

Originally posted by DannyPhilips View Post
          It is interesting to know why you have a desire to install kubuntu in your company?
          It is interesting to know why you are necro-posting and expecting a response from the OP who hasn't been back since his original post a year ago?
          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
            It is interesting to know why you are necro-posting and expecting a response from the OP who hasn't been back since his original post a year ago?
            It seems to me that the author receives alerts by e-mail. I hope he will read it.

Comment

I would think the best way to receive support for running Kubuntu in a small business environment would be to purchase from from a vendor that ships KDE and / or Kubuntu by default. To my knowledge, Slimbook and a Kubuntu Focus come to mind. I am sure there may be other options. In the case of the Slimbook, they offer laptop, desktop, and mini-pc options. Of course Jonathan Riddell would probably be the go-to for such a question. I recall having a conversation with him along these lines a few years ago on IRC. Of course things change.

As a side note, who needs professional support when you have these excellent forums? The wealth and breadth of knowledge on these forums surely would far surpass the average effectiveness of a entry level support person through a paid support contract, possibly or even likely originating from a foreign country! If I were supporting such clients, then these forums, Clonezilla, and RSync would likely be 90% of what I would need to support such endeavors (Oh and Nextcloud as well, although that would be a separate support contract and situation )
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                As a side note, who needs professional support when you have these excellent forums? The wealth and breadth of knowledge on these forums surely would far surpass the average effectiveness of a entry level support person through a paid support contract, possibly or even likely originating from a foreign country!
                After all, an official is always more trustworthy

Comment

And oddly enough, no one informed the OP that the difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu, beyond the DE, is virtually non-existent. Also, the OP's use of the term "enterprise", even qualified as "small", would tend to lean towards professional, paid support.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                    Probably, like I have also done several times, he responded to a post without noticing it's year-old time stamp.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                    X