Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't Audex available in the Discover Software Center?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why isn't Audex available in the Discover Software Center?

I would like to be able to use Audex but I can't because it's not available in the Discover Software Center. So I found something that looks similar to Audex called Fre:ac but its also not available in the Discover Software Center either. But it appears that it is available as Snap, Faltpak and AppImage.
    Has any tried Fre:ac yet? And why isn't Audex available in the Discover Software Center?
    Oops I meant to put this under Kubuntu 18.04 software support.
    Last edited by SuperSapien64; Jul 09, 2019, 11:22 AM. Reason: Put it under the wrong place.

You can't find it in Discover Software Center because it isn't available in 18.04 Bionic. It was last available in 16.04 Xenial, which is EOL.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Oh I see. So Audex is no longer receiving anymore updates?

Comment

This is something either so new, or sort of obscure, or so old that it is not in Debian/Ubuntu, or it is a KDE 4 application, which is no longer supported, so it was removed, or some combination of these.
        It takes volunteers to package it and more importantly, maintain it in a distro's packaging environment, especially if whoever created it does not use *buntu. This is where appimages and snaps and flatpaks come in, as these are not distro specific,

There are many rippers, including k3b, as well as many more
        https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._drive#Ripping
        this list has many that iirc are avialable in *bubntu

My favorite is using the file manager
        https://userbase.kde.org/Dolphin/Fil...udio_CD_tracks

It is a bit simple and lacking options, but it works, though I have only ripped a disk once in the past eight or ten years, last one was about a year ago.

Comment

I'm looking for a CD ripper that can embed the album cover art onto the FLAC files.

Comment

Audex was removed from Ubuntu as it was KDE4, unsupported and unmaintained, and depended on other packages which could not be upgraded to new KF5/Qt5 versions while Audex remained.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

kid3
              cheers!!!

Comment

Thanks but that's not a CD ripper its something like EasyTag. I'm looking for CD ripper that can embed album cover images on the audio files like Audex can.

Comment

Looks to me like you can still use it:
                  https://github.com/KDE/audex

Please Read Me

Comment

You can try from here also. Absolutely no guarantees it'll work with KF5.
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

@ oshunluvr & jglen490

Thanks. So it looks like Audex might still in development if I'm understanding correctly?

Comment

I don't know about in development or not. I'm just finding stuff based on looking around. I don't use Audex and never have, so it's not a program I'm familiar with, which is why I said "no guarantees". All I can say is try it, if it works - great - if not - uninstall and move on to another option. If you are looking for a definitive answer, then Ascheron, has given you one.
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
                          @ oshunluvr & jglen490

Thanks. So it looks like Audex might still in development if I'm understanding correctly?
                          When I looked at the GIT page it showed activity the previous week, which I would describe as making it "active." The doesn't necessarily mean in "development" exactly. The difference, at least to me, is "development" means new features and function being added. The opposite of "development" is "stable." "Active" on the other hand would mean being "maintained" as in bug fixes or upgrades/changes being made due to version changes in the kernel or dependencies.

"Active" is a good sign. It means you should be able to use it. Also all the listed dependencies (few actually) are available in 18.04. Assuming the activity is keeping the core of the program up to date with dependencies it should work. Definitely worth a try.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                          X