X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have searched far and wide

Just my experience:
    I have a little Kubuntu-related problem.
    I search for solutions.

Google usually says something along the lines of "including 'ubuntu'. Do you want to search for 'kubuntu' only?
    I say yes, thank you very much - as more often than not, Ubuntu solutions don't apply to my problems. :·/
    Google then proceeds to offer more Ubuntu links and less Kubuntu ones.

So I try KDE [my problem]. I get a 98.6% of results for Arch, Mandriva, Gentoo, Obscurity and UnheardOf. Which don't apply to my problem 86.2% of the times.

Then I say, aha, search on KFN*. The search function here sort of baffles me, but anyway, I rarely find anything.

Just interested in hearing your experience/ticks&trips on the matter.

* The other day, my son noticed an entry in my bookmark toolbar, "KFN - New posts". Said: "What's that, Kentucky Fried Networks?" :·)

well ,,,,, Kubuntu IS Ubuntu , just with the KDE/Plasma desktop so a lot of problems/situations will be fixed in a similar way as long as their not plasma specific.

you just half to be wily enough to know if you see something like , "open gedit and change the line ,,,,,,,,, " that you would know to use Kate instead of gedit .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Kubuntu IS Ubuntu... except, somehow it's not.
      Honestly, I look for solutions to the problems I got, about half the time, they don't apply.
      They either point to files/directories/utilities/gnomes/pixies/leprechauns that either don't exist on, or are not applicable to, my system, or... they explain in excruciating detail procedures that are simply not available on KDE-based systems.

Never had that? Maybe most of my problems are KDE-related. Or I'm not wily enough... even though I try

Still, I honestly wonder why most people would prefer Gnome over KDE... but that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
        Kubuntu IS Ubuntu... except, somehow it's not.
        Honestly, I look for solutions to the problems I got, about half the time, they don't apply.
        They either point to files/directories/utilities/gnomes/pixies/leprechauns that either don't exist on, or are not applicable to, my system, or... they explain in excruciating detail procedures that are simply not available on KDE-based systems.

Never had that? Maybe most of my problems are KDE-related. Or I'm not wily enough... even though I try

Still, I honestly wonder why most people would prefer Gnome over KDE... but that's me.
        OK I see your point .

I like KDE better as well and have for a long time ,,,,,hummm KDE-3.5 or so .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Then I say, aha, search on KFN*. The search function here sort of baffles me, but anyway, I rarely find anything.
          Yes, agree. Better: When I search on KFN, I use Google search and enter this on the search line:
          site:kubuntuforums.net <the thing I want to search at KFN>
          Note that there are no spaces after the word site, just the space after .net and before entering your search term.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

The search function here sort of baffles me...
            IME it seems to do an implicit "or" on search terms; if I get too many hits on a search, I instinctively add more terms to refine the search, but instead adding terms broadens the search and gets more hits. Sometimes it's useful if one can narrow things by date, "Find Posts - A year ago - and newer'.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            When I search on KFN, I use Google search ... site:kubuntuforums.net <the thing I want to search at KFN>
            Yes, I do that. Often I search for an issue generally and get hits in KFN.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Yes, I do that too... only when I'm desperate
              Google doesn't like it either, after a few repeated searches - different terms, same site - it starts flashing traffic lights, pedestrian crossings and similarly annoying things at me.

Comment

Yes, I do that too... only when I'm desperate
                Google doesn't like it either, after a few repeated searches - different terms, same site - it starts flashing traffic lights, pedestrian crossings and similarly annoying things at me.
                You mean the captcha?
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                  You mean the captcha?
                  I do. And oh, fire hydrants. They really like fire hydrants.

Comment

Aw, they're just doggin' you
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I'll be giving https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUswJK_ncVU a try. Bit tired of the other one knowing what I should see or not.
                      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Yeah well.
                        Try making a bang for KFN and submitting it.

Comment

Yeah well.
                          Try making a bang for KFN and submitting it.
                          Forget about submitting it. The test itself doesn't work. Even Ubuntu Forum's bang is bad. Ask Ubuntu's is fine.

Overall, DDG's results seem inferior. Pity.
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                            Pity.
                            Yes. Wasn't a bad idea. They just messed it up.

Comment

Well, there's https://www.reddit.com/r/duckduckgo/ and the staff seem responsive. Will poke around there sometime.
                              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                              X