X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kdesudo

Hi,
    The order "kdesudo" goes not work with Kubuntu 18.04. How otherwise can I start software as super-administrator?
    Kind regards,
    Sigurd

Depends what software you need, you did not say?

If you need to edit root owned text files, then open them in kate and it will prompt you for a password upon saving.

If you need a file manager, use midnight commander.

In Konsole:

Code:
    sudo apt install mc
    sudo mc

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
      Depends what software you need, you did not say?

If you need to edit root owned text files, then open them in kate and it will prompt you for a password upon saving.

If you need a file manager, use midnight commander.

In Konsole:

Code:
      sudo apt install mc
      sudo mc
      yup ,,,,,I like Krusader better , but hay .

kdesudo can be installed the same way ,
      Code:
      sudo apt update && sudo apt install kdesudo
      ,,,I think I better go check in the 18.04 install maybe they took that away as well

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I would not recommend installing/using kdesudo anymore...it's unmaintained and hasn't been ported to kf5 (so it will just bring along kde4 dependencies).

If you need to use a graphical sudo wrapper, the regular 'kdesu' binary is a better option. It should be installed by default (if it's not, it's in the package 'kde-cli-tools'). kdesu can be configured to use sudo as a backend (if it does not do so by default).

If you wish to put it in your $PATH, you can symlink the binary to (for example) /usr/local/bin/kdesu. (at least on 64-bit systems, the binary should be in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kdesu)

You also shouldn't need to manually start a dbus-daemon for root with dbus-launch (and even if you do, "dbus-run-session" is a better option than "dbus-launch")

From the cli, you can also use "sudo -i" in place of "kdesudo" (the -i option is important, so that the $HOME variable is set correctly to avoid issues related with using sudo with GUI apps)

I can provide more information or details, if asked.
        Last edited by kubicle; Apr 30, 2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

sudo apt-get install

bada book bada bing

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Problem solved

Hi kubicle,
            Thank you very much for your help. "sudo -i" works fine as replacement for the old "kdesudo".
            Kind regards,
            Sigurd

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              sudo apt-get install

bada book bada bing

woodsmoke
              “He gets it! Promote that man!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                kdesudo can be installed the same way
                Not in Bionic. It has been totally removed from the archive.

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                I would not recommend installing/using kdesudo anymore...it's unmaintained and hasn't been ported to kf5 (so it will just bring along kde4 dependencies).
                For that reason ^^^^^.
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                  Not in Bionic. It has been totally removed from the archive.

For that reason ^^^^^.
                  my bad ,an "apt search" found it on my 18.04 , but my 18.04 was net upgraded 17.04>17.10>18.04 , and already had kdesudo installed ,,,,so I suppose thats why "apt search" found and showed it to me ... O well I'm a dunce once again

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

for me sudo -i does not work; and kdesu get this error message:
                    Code:
                    kdesu: command not found
                    (though kde-cli-tools is regulary installed and re-installed.

No, OK, my mistake: symlinked to usr/local/bin it works fine. Thanks!
                    Last edited by jduns; May 02, 2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

i have the kde-cli-tools package installed but cannot find the kdesu command
                      where is the kdesu command on Kubuntu 18.04 ?

Comment

Please try it with "sudo -i (program name)". Between sudo and -i an empty space.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigurd View Post
                          Please try it with "sudo -i (program name)". Between sudo and -i an empty space.
                          That way lies alligators and other swap creatures! Not the least of which is that config and other files in the user's home account, like .Xauthority, get owned by root and subsequent logins are met with a black screen.

The KDE developers are working on a polkit route to allow temporary elevated privileges for other applications as they have already done for Kate. Now, with Kate, you can edit, say, /etc/network/interfaces, and when you click the "Save" button after your changes you are prompted for your account password. It is by design that the KDE developers have disabled running Dolphin and some other Plasma GUI applications that were, in the past, run using kdesu or kdesudo because of security issues. Currently, as a file manager to use after opening a root Konsole using "sudo -i" you may want to consider mc. Others will have other suggestions but mc is my tool of choice for editing, moving, deleting and creating files as root.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigurd View Post
                            Please don't do this with any GUI program unless you're trying to muck up your home folder.

This whole issue has been discussed many times here and elsewhere. Security is the reason given, but I'm not sure how this is an actual security issue. Your password is required to use kdesudo, so how is taking this away more secure than just using "sudo -i"?

Frankly, if you're one of those users who just has to have GUI tools to manage your system (I don't), you might try creating a root password and allowing root login. After you're done with your chores, removing the root password will re-lock the su account until next time. Kind of a pain in the neck, but better than wrecking your home folder by launching GUI apps using sudo.
                            Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 29, 2018, 01:39 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by silver_moon View Post
                              where is the kdesu command on Kubuntu 18.04 ?
                              You can get to it via /etc/alternatives/kdesu.

Regards, John Little
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X