Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue on Blue myyyyy heart aches.the Woodsmoker's absolutest lastest bestest build

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue on Blue myyyyy heart aches.the Woodsmoker's absolutest lastest bestest build

Blue on Blue...

stress testing... and of course...ol' KDEBlue...just keeps on honkin' on...

the ol' Woodsmoker's absolutest lastest bestest build...OFF THE METAL, on plexi, on the wall...

Running the latest KubuBLUE...

clickable image below

There was a guy, far in the future...his name was the the JohnnieMan...

He harvested terms off the beltways...he taught me what I know about assembling terms...

the last that he built used a strange thing called a liquid cooled fan and he hung the evaporator... out the window of his shop above the beltways...

Because of him I am independent of the people who harvest money from us UNfairly...

I give Ceasar his due... people SHOULD make money...

but the JohnnieMan taught many, many people thousands of years ago...and the ol' woodsmoker was fortunate enough to be one of them...

I owe him... and this is a small, and final, tribute to him.

If YOU... have met such a woman or man in your journeys, please post a tribute...

woodwillpostthefinalbuildwhenstresstestingisdonesm oke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 24, 2018, 12:17 AM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

(Assuming I am understanding what I have read ...) So you built your PC, on a piece of plexiglass, right? No PC case. If so, the cooling works OK? Of course, it IS open to the air, so you would think so.

They say not to leave open a panel on your PC case because it will mess up cooling. BUT ... I have never experienced that: When I remove a side panel from a PC case, then either (1) the temps go down, or (2) the temps stay about the same as they did with the side panel installed.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I did that once except I went to Walmart and bought the biggest wooden breadboard I could find and screwed everything to that.
      For legs I used those spring, door bumpers with the rubber ends on them. Screwed them to the bottom side of the breadboard.

I always thought it would be fun to build one into a desk. Maybe in one or two of it's drawers.
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

My one and only Home built was a tower with a plexiglass side panel so one could admire the electronics inside. It had two big fans for cooling and blue LEDs to give it a nice “ look”.

I got tired of the constant fan noise, and it was a constant source of problems. Moral: advertised component ratings aren’t necessarily what the device exhibits. I ended up leaving the plexiglass off to allow the box to run cooler.

IIRC, and that’s a big if, I was running SuSE on it. Replaced it in 2004 with an 18” Gateway m675p laptop running an RPM based distro. After it I began using Acers and have stayed with Acer laptops every since
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG: My one and only Home built was a tower with a plexiglass side panel so one could admire the electronics inside. It had two big fans for cooling and blue LEDs to give it a nice “ look”.
          Exactly what I have.

I have two PC cases, a Lian Li and an older (2005 ? )Antec Superlanboy, like this:
          https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Super-L...2Aentries%2A=0

Of course, the Lian Li is a Cadillac in every respect. But my favorite is this old Super Lanboy, which I use for my newer builds. I had to add a USB 3 port bay (into one of the unused front drive bays), though, to accommodate newer motherboards (the old Lanboy had only USB 2's). That cost 10 bucks.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

The last time I started to do a complete build I was shocked at how much they wanted for just the case.
            That might have been what prompted me to do the breadboard build.
            Greg
            W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
              ...I always thought it would be fun to build one into a desk. Maybe in one or two of it's drawers.
              I had a roommate who did that > 20 years ago. Same roommate who taught me to use no wallpaper on work machines to ease eyestrain. I still use a solid black background on work PCs.

edit: Same roommate who maxed out all his credit cards setting up a 10-node Novell network so he could charge people to play multiplayer Doom. Not all of his ideas were good
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                Exactly what I have.

I have two PC cases, a Lian Li and an older (2005 ? )Antec Superlanboy, like this:
                https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Super-L...2Aentries%2A=0

Of course, the Lian Li is a Cadillac in every respect. But my favorite is this old Super Lanboy, which I use for my newer builds. I had to add a USB 3 port bay (into one of the unused front drive bays), though, to accommodate newer motherboards (the old Lanboy had only USB 2's). That cost 10 bucks.
                That is exactly what my homebuilt ended up looking like! Everything came from different sources - Radio Shack, James Electronics, CDW, etc. That it all worked reasonably well amazed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

My first build was in this case that the Johnnieman had dragged off the beltways and was then onsidering throwing away...

Waaay too much sky juice

it doesn't have the historical cache of a Lian Li...But it DOES have vertical top loading usb ports for starsticks...he was dragging parts off the beltways and handing them to me as customers walked in, purchased stuff and walked out shaking their heads...those WILL BE... the days my friends... they'll never end...

It is so heavy that I will be dragging it into my first gamecon on a furniture dolly ...lol... raazzz those Lian Li's!!

and I won't win a single game...lol

woodstillhashisfirstbuildsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Well, It is working but ...the OS is \hmmmm

I decided to purchase an HD with Win10 on it to use for a couple of school apps and the whole UEFI thing reared it's ugly head.

Plugged the detested OS in and it booted up ok.

Replaced it with ...Neon...and got nothing absolutely nothing, the screen wouldn't even light up.

Replaced the Neon HD with the latest bestest Kubu and saw the bootloader, etc. and there was Kubu...

so...Kubu was able to get past the UEFI

I've gone from near horizontal to near vertical, it is a thing about the fluid, the system can't be completely full or it can "overpressure" and go through the overflow on the tank, so...its a thing... different apps, etc.

a couple of more days and it should be good to go except that the I misunderstood the whole thing about "how" the fluid in the water cooled system "lights up".

hmmm a "black spot" in the center where there is no light. lol ...not good!! GOTTA HAVE BLUE LIGHT!!

woodblueonbluesmoke
                    Last edited by woodsmoke; May 09, 2018, 10:47 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Nice! I think I am too clumsy to have the stones to mix liquid and electronics

I've got a lIan li case but it's like a small filing cabinet, I'd have to hire a mule to take it to a games convention.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                        Well, It is working but ...the OS is \hmmmm

I decided to purchase an HD with Win10 on it to use for a couple of school apps and the whole UEFI thing reared it's ugly head.

Plugged the detested OS in and it booted up ok.

Replaced it with ...Neon...and got nothing absolutely nothing, the screen wouldn't even light up.

Replaced the Neon HD with the latest bestest Kubu and saw the bootloader, etc. and there was Kubu...

so...Kubu was able to get past the UEFI

I've gone from near horizontal to near vertical, it is a thing about the fluid, the system can't be completely full or it can "overpressure" and go through the overflow on the tank, so...its a thing... different apps, etc.

a couple of more days and it should be good to go except that the I misunderstood the whole thing about "how" the fluid in the water cooled system "lights up".

hmmm a "black spot" in the center where there is no light. lol ...not good!! GOTTA HAVE BLUE LIGHT!!

woodblueonbluesmoke
                        Is that one photo a selfi of you from 1985?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                          Nice! I think I am too clumsy to have the stones to mix liquid and electronics

I've got a lIan li case but it's like a small filing cabinet, I'd have to hire a mule to take it to a games convention.
                          YOU GO TO GAME CONVENTIONS?

FORGET THIS THREAD!! FORGET IT!!

RELATE TO US...YOUR EXPERIENCES AT THE GAME CONVENTION!!

relate to us!!! YOUR EXPERIENCES...DON'T WORRY ABOUT DOTTING I'S AND CROSSING T'S ...TELL US OF YOUR EXPERIENCE...

WOODreallySMOKE
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

lol..not 1985... more like... key west...too much sky juice and I got coral in my foot at 1:00 am because people in the Keys really DO NOT think like the rest of the world..

woodhastoburni****everyfewmonthsandstillhasitsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

LOL
                              my Xinfinity is ALMOST as large...and heavy...and WAAAAYYYYYYY...tooooooo old...

The johnnieman was grabbing boards off the beltways... and the term was...no...waay...too old...

Not up to your modern standards...

I even pushed a broken memory stick into a slot and it worked...

you are way beyond me and my poor Xinfinity...I love her so.

woodsadsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X