X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing FaceBook videos ?

I must be doing something wrong.
    When I try to play a video someone has posted on FaceBook, it just sits there and won't play. If I save it and then play it, it will play.
    Can someone point me in the right direction to fix my settings?

Vivaldi on 16.04
    Greg
    W9WD

Not your fault...
    Imagine the men bowing to the controller in the original TRON..
    We all now...bow to the great Zuck...
    AND HE WANTS MORE MONEY...
    There is no fix ...
    it is Facebook(tm) trying to keep you in the corral.
    When you double, sometimes, triple try it...THEN...
    THE PHONE OS... tries to take over...and sometimes it works...sometimes not..
    Thank the the great Zuck

Think of the last time that you were watching a "thing" on YouTube...

SUDDENLY...the video stops and there is the "circular arrow"... that the video is "buffering"...

AND...

SURPRISE...SURPRISE...

YOU ARE AN EVIL PERSON...

YOU...need to WATCH what NEXT POPS UP...down at the bottom left...

YOU ARE EVIL...you are doing something WRONG...

YOU...SHOULD PAY MONEY TO SUBSCRIBE to YOUTUBE(tm) RED(tm)

NO...

YOUTUBE(tm) is PURPOSLY THROTTELING YOUR VIDEO...

to FORCE you to PAY FOR RED...

is that ...illegal?

I don't know...it started under OBAMA...he did nothing...it continues under TRUMP...he is, apparently, doing nothing...

it is all about FORCING you do "do something"...

THERE IS A HUGE DEBATE...

Is "you tube" a "public service" ... since EVERYBODY uses it?

If ANY president tried to "buck" You Tube...

YOU WOULD SEE NOTHING BUT VIDEOS

HATING...

"that" president...

Whether it was Obama or "will be" Trump" or will be...BERNIE...

And guess what...

the FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION is going after... "religious groups"...

I was in a business... and GOOGLE...popped up on my smart phone...asking if I wanted to review a restaurant that was about a "block" away in the mall...

BUSINESS is WATCHING YOU...with OBAMA'S and TRUMPS...and the DEMOCRAtS AND THE REPUBLICANS ALLOWING IT.

woodjustsayin'smoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 21, 2018, 10:00 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Ok
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

You've been woodsmoked!

It might be to do with Vivaldi, have you tried it with other browsers? Usually a quick workaround is to put "https://m." at the front of the url because the mobile version is generally more compatible/less full of crap.

That said, I deleted my Facebook account last month and I can highly recommend doing so. Unless it's earning you money, it's a negative thing on your life.

Comment

lol
          yep!
          The whole point about FB is to keep you on FB and your nose buried in the adverts.

Bings offered a solution which I assume works. However, I have no been on the computer version of FB for several years because of their "desire to have all my friends know that I am me". okaaayyyyy...
          it is continually yammering to get MORE INFORMATION from me...

I, personally, think that FB caved to the whole terrorist thing back under Obama. We will never be told just which "social media" that the police first go to when looking for a terrorist or for a shooter at a school, but it is a good guess that it is FB.

TODAY... Facebook sent me a message on my phone telling me that FB has PRE-enabled my "face facing" camera to take a picture of me... NOT for me to use to log in...

But for FB to find MY pics in OTHER people's pics! Supposedly for me to "link up with MORE FRIENDS"...

I, personally think that it is for TWO things...

A) codespeak for getting more eyes onto adverts because when one goes to another profile one does not see the profile first one sees an advert first.

It is all about making the great Zuck more money.

B) Giving the "police" the ability to see "a terrorist" in real time WITH...background... even though the "location" may be turned off...

It will next be on Twitter I opine...

Here is a question...why IS it...that "your bank" can RELIABLY... "writing recognize" all of the millions of poorly scribbled checks...

It is because they have billions of gigabytes in the cloud... to process all that stuff almost instantly...

So... when a terrorist is on the phone twitting the police will be able to see him and his surroundings...

AND...twit and FB can see YOU continuously...think about that...

it is merely a function of how big the cloud is...

I know...sounds like tin foil hat...

But...do YOU really think that FB "only" wants to BE FRIENDLY by playing coo coo between you and your friends who ALREADY KNOW WHO YOU ARE?

I have disabled EVERYTHING about FB on my phone and only have "friends" with the ...hundreds ...of former students...but even with them I do not have it enabled to give a notification.

Otherwise I would hear the thing boinging continuously because they all have their noses buried in the phones gossiping about each other or showing pics of the kids eating cake or whatever.

So, again, I'm glad that Bings offered an fix.
          woodsmoke
          Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 24, 2018, 09:44 PM.
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Woody's right about the buffering problem. You'll notice that there is NEVER any buffering when playing ads.

There are several URLs that YT uses as buffered servers to slow down your access. Two of them are
            173.194.55.0/24
            206.111.0.0/16
            Have your ufw block them and see if things improve.
            And, if you see buffering then run "netstat -alp" while buffering is going on and see what the IP address is. Block those. YT will then send you to its fast servers.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Code:
              To                         Action      From
              --                         ------      ----

Anywhere                   DENY IN     173.194.55.0 24            (log)
              Anywhere                   DENY IN     206.111.0.0 16             (log)
              Thanks GreyGeek! Is that above what I need the entries to look like or have I done it back to front?

Comment

You got me. I haven’t learned how to write iptables rules. I use gufw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

by the way - if the ads are buffering then perhaps changing channels or increasing xmit power is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So do I, I just copy pasted from the terminal for easy formatting reasons by typing

Code:
                    sudo ufw status verbose
                    It looks pretty much the same as the gufw display though.

Comment

Just to make things more interesting...

I re-installed Firefox 45.0.2 and it WILL play videos on Facebook but freezes when I try to play YouTube videos and I have to reboot.
                      Vivaldi will NOT play videos on Facebook, but WILL play YouTube videos...?
                      Greg
                      W9WD

Comment

Vivaldi plays FB videos and You tube just fine here. You're missing some codecs or something like flashplayer or java. You might try over at the Vivaldi forums.

Please Read Me

Comment

Do you have the package kubuntu-restricted-extras installed?
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I guess not
                            Greg
                            W9WD

Comment

now I do
                              Greg
                              W9WD

Comment

Working...
                              X