This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skypeforlinux Now Works as it Should

For some time now I have had difficulty with Skypeforlinux not working as it should. For example, my Web-cam was not detected on the recent releases and there were many complaints on it performance.

The latest version 8.16.76.8 contains many improvements which include working with my Web-cam, that is it works as it should. It is available from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-08b131da1840

The latest deb file can be downloaded from this site. When it is installed, I have found that it puts the skype site https://repo.skype.com/deb into Muon Package Manager's Software Sources. I do not know if it still requires the installation of gnome-keyring as I already have it installed for previous versions.

In one test I did, the recipient reported that it was better than Face-Time!

Yes, that Skype does look good--so far I'm still a little punchy after that last round of bad-version downloads.

This new version--8.16.76.8--seems to fix the problem we had in the other thread, namely:

The application loads but all I can see is the border of the window and the menu - the center of the application window is all white. On first load I can sometimes see the proper application screen for a second before the center of the application window turns white again. Nothing appears when I select a menu item.
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post408962

With the new version, I am getting a proper, working log-in screen; and it works upon re-testing.

Btw, I'm on 14.04 here.

And the new version does appear in Muon listing now, with the updated version. Hopefully, future updates through Muon will not break this. Keeping the download, of course, is a good idea.

Thanks for the notice, NoWorries.
    Last edited by Qqmike; Feb 18, 2018, 04:45 PM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

So glad it is working for you now as I find the new version has more options and better video clarity. BTW, unfortunately Skypeforlinux still requires gnome-keyring as this package removes the constant need to login each time Skype is launched.

Comment

I must not be using gnome-keyring (didn't check) as I have to log in each time I open Skype, which is OK with me. My tablet opens Skype and logs me in automatically each time I start the tablet, and it, well, it bugs me! Thanks, again.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Follow-up ...

Just got an update to skypeforlinux through Muon package manager, an update from 8.16.76.8 to 8.17.76.1, and the newest (repository) version also works as it should. Good news so far!

Comment

Skype. Good only for casual video conversations or chats. Talking about private stuff, future plans, business or political topics is a good way to get your conversation used against you in a FISA court.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...iretapping.asp
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG: Skype. Good only for casual video conversations or chats. Talking about private stuff, future plans, business or political topics is a good way to get your conversation used against you in a FISA court.
              I use it with people who would never bother to download and learn to use any other. I'm tired of trying. I realize, for example, that many younger Skype users have gone to IMO, to mention one of many options.

Gee, I wish I had something interesting to hide. My speed runs like this: "Which is more popular right now, blue or green turquoise [in Indian Jewelry]?" Or, "Maybe I'll make green chili chicken enchiladas tonight ... No ... I think it's time for red chili ... maybe red chili enchiladas with onion and black beans ... What? No meat? ... maybe not this batch ..."

Unfortunately, I'm serious.

Comment

Not NSA material, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Code:
                  Not NSA material, huh?
                  Well, it could be, maybe it should be ... I think if some of those folks had a real-and-goodTM enchilada (not some Texas fake sh&T or some sissy-limp California effort garnished with black olives), they might gain some perspective on grassroots issues
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 23, 2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Damn. Smilies just won't go for me. (Advanced --> uncheck Disable smilies, etc.)

Comment

As to smilies, I don't know what to tell you guys. I just edited Qqmike's post, clicked on Go Advanced and unchecked Disable smilies in text and it worked.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

clicked on Go Advanced and unchecked Disable smilies in text and it worked.
                        Yes, that is the theory! For some, anyway!

Comment

(It worked that time, under Quick Post -- not Advanced.)

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                            Yes, that is the theory! For some, anyway!
                            Then why did the smilie above render for you, when the previous post did not?
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The smiley rendered when I did a quick post (i.e., not clicking into the Advanced mode). When I use Advanced mode, that's when things get iffy and hit and miss -- as it does for other users here, as you may have noticed from time to time. I'll have to do a more systematic experiment sometime soon as time permits.

Comment

Working...
                              X