This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] WPS office on Neon

Has anyone gotten WPS office (formerly Kingsoft) to work right on Neon user edition?

It works on Kubuntu 16.04 and Mint 18.x KDE so something must be off in the newer KDE releases. It segfaults on Kubuntu 17.10 also.

Downloaded the 64 bit deb version. Checked the sha1sum checksum and it checked ok. Installed it from Dolphin using Qt App Package Installer. Installed without errors. My menu screen flashed on and off when I navigated to the Office section. After it settled down I was able to click on WPS Writer. It never came up. Dmesg gave
    Code:
    15082.377126] QThread[16678]: segfault at e0 ip 00007f77eec5a784 sp 00007f77e837a660 error 6 in libQt5Core.so.5.9.2[7f77eebb7000+52e000]
    [15159.178174] wps[17685]: segfault at 38 ip 00007f6ee4eda73c sp 00007ffc76410ea0 error 4 in ld-2.23.so[7f6ee4ece000+26000]
    Looks like a no-go.
    Any reason why LibreOffice won't work for you?

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention how I removed it:
    sudo dpkg -r purge wps-office

And, it looks like wps-office is just another closed source company that exploits Linux user and then once development is done throws them under the bus. Linux version development is halted. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/05/w...-linux-on-halt

If you want to be taken for another ride again you can try OnlyOffice.
    https://helpcenter.onlyoffice.com/de...on-ubuntu.aspx
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 29, 2017, 03:22 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I use WPS sometimes since it does the best job of rendering MS office documents.

I tried this:

http://technologyinfinite.blogspot.c...office-in.html

And it stop the segfaults. But the menus don't work right. My guess is some gtk library is misisng

Comment

Not only is WPS closed source, it is owned by Cheetah mobile, which is known for being at best a shady app company.

Anyway, downloading the latest deb and tar from their website, both run just fine for me, though I cannot open an existing file unless I use drag-and-drop or right-click on a doc.
        I let Discover install the deb, no issues there.

Maybe I have some super secret missing dependency installed by accident, I dunno. I will check on another machine.

Comment

I probably do have a missing gtk2 or libgnome dependency, as my Neon Chromebook does have XFCE installed as well. My stock Neon box segfaults unless I run it with the -style gtk switch.
          Last edited by claydoh; Nov 29, 2017, 06:38 PM.

Comment

To get menus to work, run it like so:

Code:
            WPS_NO_KDE_NATIVE_DIALOG=1 wps -style gtk

Comment

WPS Office works pretty well on Android devices. I recently installed Nougat (Android 7.0), from xda-developers, on my old B&N Nook Tablet and was able to install and use WPS Office reasonably well. I haven't completely tested it, but in general would say it works fine in that environment.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                I use WPS sometimes since it does the best job of rendering MS office documents.

I tried this:

http://technologyinfinite.blogspot.c...office-in.html

And it stop the segfaults. But the menus don't work right. My guess is some gtk library is misisng
                The step I didn't use is
                sudo dpkg --configure -a
                but there was no indication that I needed to use it.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  To get menus to work, run it like so:

Code:
                  WPS_NO_KDE_NATIVE_DIALOG=1 wps -style gtk
                  Yeah that did it.

Comment

Working...
                  X