This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth Speaker Connects But No Sound

Why is support for Bluetooth speakers so erratic in Ubuntu/Kubuntu? I actually succeeded in getting it working in 16.04, only for it to break again in 16.10 and 17.04. Finally decided to start over and do a fresh install of 17.10. This is better than before, at least the speaker connects and I can get a test sound to work but otherwise no sound from video or music.

I found out that using a YouTube URL in VLC works through my speaker but not if I access YouTube via a browser. Can anybody shed any light?
    Last edited by tomp01; Oct 09, 2017, 09:17 AM.

Thanks for the merging of posts, but an answer would be nice as well. Do the Kubuntu/Ubuntu developers take notice of long standing problems like this one? It truly baffles me how this has become such a recurring fault across so many releases,
    Last edited by tomp01; Oct 09, 2017, 10:46 AM. Reason: b

Comment

you can use the sound applet on your panel to drag applications playing sound to the devices you want to hear sound come from . you can also use system settings -> multimedia.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
        you can use the sound applet on your panel to drag applications playing sound to the devices you want to hear sound come from . you can also use system settings -> multimedia.
        Done all that already but no joy.

Comment

Assuming you are using FireFox, in the URL enter "about:config" and search for
          media.webaudio.enabled
          and make sure it is set to true.
          May already be set to true but at least it is a shot.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Assuming you are using FireFox, in the URL enter "about:config" and search for
            media.webaudio.enabled
            and make sure it is set to true.
            May already be set to true but at least it is a shot.
            I looked for that but it doesn't exist, I am using Firefox 56 (64 bit). I hasten to add that it doesn't work with Chrome either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171010_124348.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	643643
            Last edited by tomp01; Oct 10, 2017, 07:58 AM.

Comment

You can add it as a Boolean. If it doesn’t help (reboot FF) then delete it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                You can add it as a Boolean. If it doesn’t help (reboot FF) then delete it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Tried that, but no joy.

Still don't understand why YouTube works via VLC but not through a browser?

I would appreciate somebody that has also used a Bluetooth speaker on 17.10 to add their two penn'orth.
                Last edited by tomp01; Oct 11, 2017, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01 View Post
                  Tried that, but no joy.

Still don't understand why YouTube works via VLC but not through a browser?

I would appreciate somebody that has also used a Bluetooth speaker on 17.10 to add their two penn'orth.
                  Looks like somebody else has had the exact same problem!!

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post403632
                  Last edited by tomp01; Oct 11, 2017, 03:14 AM.

Comment

This is really frustrating, I did a fresh install and it worked, briefly anyway, before proceeding to break again. I will have to give KDE Mint a try to see if it is any better.

Comment

Here is everything I do to get my speaker working via bluetooth (Anker Soundcore)
                      First make sure your bluetooth is turned on the computer..

1. Click on the bluetooth applet's + button to add a device
                      2. Hit the pair button on the speaker .
                      3. When it shows in the list pair and trust it
                      4. System Setting -> multimedia-> audio and video -> Device Preferences . and adjust according to what sounds i want to come out of the speaker (optionally use the audio applet on the fly to move streams to the device)
                      5. IF sound is not working This one is important and I forgot it before...
                      Pair your speaker System settings -> multimedia -> audio and video -> Audio Hardware Setup
                      Select it from the list of Sound Cards and then under profile you many need to change it the defalut for mine is Headset Mode, but two other profiles exsist A High Quality Playback and OFF perhaps yours is off. Mine will not play any sound unless its on the High Quality Mode. While you are in this you can also test the device. Under speaker placement and testing.
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                        Here is everything I do to get my speaker working via bluetooth (Anker Soundcore)
                        First make sure your bluetooth is turned on the computer..

1. Click on the bluetooth applet's + button to add a device
                        2. Hit the pair button on the speaker .
                        3. When it shows in the list pair and trust it
                        4. System Setting -> multimedia-> audio and video -> Device Preferences . and adjust according to what sounds i want to come out of the speaker (optionally use the audio applet on the fly to move streams to the device)
                        5. IF sound is not working This one is important and I forgot it before...
                        Pair your speaker System settings -> multimedia -> audio and video -> Audio Hardware Setup
                        Select it from the list of Sound Cards and then under profile you many need to change it the defalut for mine is Headset Mode, but two other profiles exsist A High Quality Playback and OFF perhaps yours is off. Mine will not play any sound unless its on the High Quality Mode. While you are in this you can also test the device. Under speaker placement and testing.
                        It is so broken that I cannot get beyond step 1, can't even see the device now. Think I'll wait till the final release and reinstall. it has worked but my god it's really flaky.
                        Last edited by tomp01; Oct 16, 2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Managed to get another Bluetooth speaker to pair, however can only get test sounds out of it, same as before. I have given up for now, with a 3.5mm jack cable from the headphone socket of my laptop I can connect via the aux port to the speaker.
                          Last edited by tomp01; Oct 17, 2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I don't have Bluetooth speakers but do have a (Dell) USB soundbar on my external screen.

It is recognised as a sound device, no problem.
                            But many applications including FF will play via the build in speakers of this laptop.

Right clicking the volume icon in the panel and selecting the volume setting brings up a window with various options for output.
                            Like sytem sound can be directed to the build in speakers and FF to the Dell soundbar.

Does your Bluetooth speaker show up in the devices menu?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                              I don't have Bluetooth speakers but do have a (Dell) USB soundbar on my external screen.

It is recognised as a sound device, no problem.
                              But many applications including FF will play via the build in speakers of this laptop.

Right clicking the volume icon in the panel and selecting the volume setting brings up a window with various options for output.
                              Like sytem sound can be directed to the build in speakers and FF to the Dell soundbar.

Does your Bluetooth speaker show up in the devices menu?
                              I actually managed to get two different Bluetooth speakers to connect and play test sounds. However now both of them are grayed out in Audio and Video system settings. I can't connect and more importantly I can't delete them and try again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171029_160131.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	643650
                              Last edited by tomp01; Oct 29, 2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X