This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mkusb/guidus Tutorial

OK I do not claim to be an expert in this or anything.

However this has worked just great for me several times and I see @hear on the forum , posts about people not having luck making a live USB with persistence .

Most recently @hear https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post402615

this tool "mkusb&guidus" dose a wonderful job of it + gives you an NTFS formated partition using the % of space left after what you selected for the persistence partition ,,,,,,unless you used all the available space .
    This means you can go up to your friends windows box and use your Live-USB as just a USB stick ,,,,windows wont see anything else on the stick.

SO ,,,,,on with it

If you want to try it ,,,,it lives @hear https://launchpad.net/~mkusb/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

add the PPA
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/ppa
    update and install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mkusb
    The rest of this tut will be in screen shots of each step and some comments between them ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hear we go .

go to Kickoff>system>mkusb ,,,,,,,,

just click enter the other choice is guidus and their about the same ,,,,guidus has a console window open with it but same menu windows.

bla bla bla

bla bla bla

ya I have a few .ISO's laying around ,,,,time for some house keeping

you could take care of this before hand ,,,,but hay.

bla bla bla

do be sure you select the correct device as it will be completely wiped

bla bla bla

bla bla bla

this took just over an hour ,,,,,,,,

bla bla bla

bla bla bla

this line "toggles" live only or persistent

bla bla bla

bla bla bla

last chance to look it over .

bla bla bla

OK so this was a 16GB USB stick ,,,1.1 for the .ISO or so I select 80% of unused space for the persistence partition whitch will leave 20% for a NTFS partition

looks like we are done ,,,,,lets reboot and see if it worked .

Nice ,,,we see I have a 11GB / ,,,thats the persistence partition giving us space ,,,,you can install applications and/or keep files and they will still be there when you reboot ,,,,

the USB stick winds up looking like this in GParted ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

well hope this is of use to some one some time

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Mkusb is a great way of making persistent USB Linux installation.

I always carry a 64Gb USB stick for data in my watch pocket, along with a 32Gb Live Persistent Neon User Edition for use on machines that I do not want leave any changes or have Neon be changed. The big problem is that most laptops are not configured to look at a USB port before booting the HD. To put the USB port ahead of the HD in the boot sequence one must access the BIOS, which is usually locked out at places which offer public access to their computers. Libraries, for instance. So, I only use it at friends houses, and usually when I am giving them a demo, or installing Kubuntu or Neon on their laptops. The data USB stick contains important packages that usually need an internet connection to the repository to download.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Mkusb is a great way of making persistent USB Linux installation.

I always carry a 64Gb USB stick for data in my watch pocket, along with a 32Gb Live Persistent Neon User Edition for use on machines that I do not want leave any changes or have Neon be changed. The big problem is that most laptops are not configured to look at a USB port before booting the HD. To put the USB port ahead of the HD in the boot sequence one must access the BIOS, which is usually locked out at places which offer public access to their computers. Libraries, for instance. So, I only use it at friends houses, and usually when I am giving them a demo, or installing Kubuntu or Neon on their laptops. The data USB stick contains important packages that usually need an internet connection to the repository to download.
      sorry GG but I must disagree ,,,,,,,,even laptops for the past several years will have a F-key to get a 1 time boot menu of devices attached to the laptop ,,,,but yes this to dose require being able to reboot the machine and see the splash screen and witch F-key to press .

on the live-USB stick made with mkusb ,,,,you could keep your "packages" right on the same stick ,,,,,,,,if large enough.

I just ,,,last fryday ,,,,,took mine to work along with a jam-classic self powered blue-tooth speaker and at lunch had a nice music video show on one of the work stations in my area .

I unplugged the network cable rebooted the box ,,,,,hit the F12 key for the boot menu ,,,it gave me the menu ,,,,,picked my sandisk USB ,,,chose Neon persistent live ,,,,,,,and loaded the videos I had coped to it the night before into VLC ,,,,,,,used a patch cord to run the speaker to the audio out on the box (no blue-tooth) and let the stress of the day dissipate as I jammed out

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
      X