Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between Kubuntu with backports enabled and KDE Neon?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the difference between Kubuntu with backports enabled and KDE Neon?

Please, I need the help of the community with the following:

What's the main difference between Kubuntu (with the backports enabled) and KDE Neon - In terms of KDE software updates. Should logically Kubuntu with the backports provide the same latest software updates as KDE Neon?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

KDE Neon is the latest LTS of Ubuntu, plus a complete build of the latest KDE packages marked as stable (probably - depending on which neon you choose).

Kubuntu with backports will give you a LTS ubuntu (probably the same one as you'd get with Neon) plus the KDE packages that are in the latest version of Kubuntu (might be less up to date but more stable than Neon). The package versions shipped with a release of Kubuntu depend on what the last stable was at the time of the feature freeze for that release.

Also note that Kubuntu isn't just Ubuntu + complete KDE suite, the devs are more selective than that when choosing which apps are pre-installed, and there are a few other customisations too (other people can probably answer that question better than I can).

From a user point of view, Neon is more bleeding edge but mostly stable, Kubuntu + backports should be reasonably up to date without being the absolute latest version of each package, and a little bit more stable due to extra testing.
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by kenshiwara View Post
      Please, I need the help of the community with the following:

What's the main difference between Kubuntu (with the backports enabled) and KDE Neon - In terms of KDE software updates.
      You can get a brief view of the developers' perspectives from their FAQ page: https://neon.kde.org/faq
      The various "types" of KDE Neon are described in brief here: https://neon.kde.org/download

Originally posted by kenshiwara View Post
      Should logically Kubuntu with the backports provide the same latest software updates as KDE Neon?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!
      You can find information on Kubuntu backports here: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?t=72006

If you read all three links, you may agree that Kubuntu 16.04 LTS with the backports installed may be closest to KDE Neon User LTS Edition but the former includes a lot of software not present in KDE Neon because KDE Neon's primary focus appears to be to provide a way to experience KDE, per se, rather than to be used for "productivity".
      Last edited by chimak111; Jul 11, 2017, 08:23 PM.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I'm running Neon User Edition with Btrfs in RAID1 on two 750Gb HD, and a third as a subvolume backup. I am using nvidia-378 to make my secondary GPU, GT650M, behave as the primary GPU. Neon is rock solid stable on this Acer V3-771G, i7, 6GB RAM laptop. Had a massive update yesterday and a 223 file update today. Zero problems with Plasma 5.10.3.

In 19 years of using Linux Neon is the best "non-distro" distro I've ever used.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X