X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDDM passwordless login

Hello,

Linux Mint has enabled passwordless login in his MDM and this works very nice, but Kubuntu has disabled this option in PAM.

So, I tried to uncomment this option in PAM (sddm file in /etc/pam.d directory)
    Code:
    auth    sufficient      pam_succeed_if.so user ingroup nopasswdlogin
    Add group nopasswdlogin and put users into it.

This works well with SDDM, so my question is: Why is this option disabled in Kubuntu? Security reasons or something else?

Settings --> Startup and Shutdown --> Login Screen --> Advanced Tab --> Auto Login.

Same result.

Problem: If your xserver doesn't run you get into a black screen loop.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

But in this case LM Cinanamon has the same problem.
      And why then Auto login did not disabled in Kubuntu if it is the same problem (fear of stopped xorg)? And, of course why xserver sholdn't work?

Comment

Originally posted by zpintar View Post
        But in this case LM Cinanamon has the same problem.
        And why then Auto login did not disabled in Kubuntu if it is the same problem (fear of stopped xorg)? And, of course why xserver sholdn't work?
        ALL Linux desktops that have automatic login face that problem. The primary reason is that ~/.Xauthority get corrupted. Usually its ownership is changed to root when the user does something foolish with sudo. Without ~/.Xauthority owned by YOU, you won't get the desktop GUI. But, it is an easy fix. Log in as root in the boot menu recovery option, remount / as rw, and chown ~/.Xauthority to you. Then reboot.

I don't use automatic login because I know what my precocious 10yr old grandson can do to a Linux computer -- he runs Kubuntu too! And my wife .... don't get me started about her digital acumen!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I don't use automatic login either. I never liked the concept. The biggest risk one takes when using automatic login is that, by doing things you shouldn't do, it can turn in to automatic lockout.
          Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 03, 2017, 06:43 AM.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I use auto-login on VMs only. Even my desktop security stowed in my office requires a password.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X