Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn off automatic updates or make them manual/selectable again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn off automatic updates or make them manual/selectable again?

Okay, it seems I have a new little quirk I need help with. Before this it wasn't a problem, but since updating to 5.8 it's fallen into the annoying category. Anyhow, my question is this. Right now updates are automatic and mandatory. I *DO NOT* have any choice but to install them as the system automatically installs them without notification or warning whether I want them to be or not. The only way I know anything has happened is I'm asked to reboot after they're installed. That just doesn't fly with me. I want the old behavior back where, if there were updates, it'd notify me that there were available and gave me the option to choice which ones I wanted to install, when and so on. This "you're gonna get your updates and you're gonna like it or else" BS has to stop. How do I make updates optional again so that *I* choose when they go in rather than the updater just automatically shoving them down my throat?

I did a search, but I'm not seeing anything relevant to this issue. Any help is welcome.

Try kdesudo software-properties-kde then select the "Updates" tab and deselect whatever you need to.

Please Read Me

Comment

YES! Thank you!! That's exactly what I needed. Man, why don't they make that easy to find!? :P

Comment

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
        YES! Thank you!! That's exactly what I needed. Man, why don't they make that easy to find!? :P
        Agreed.

It used to be in the System Settings but it's not now. I don't know why. Seriously - a real honest-to-goodness package management system is the #1 thing missing from this distro IMO.

Please Read Me

Comment

It should be under Discover > Settings > More > Software sources and Muon > Settings > Configure Software Sources

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
            It should be under Discover > Settings > More > Software sources and Muon > Settings > Configure Software Sources
            It is indeed. I do not find Discover usable useful, so I hadn't found that. Thank you.

Please Read Me

Comment

CliveJo: That's odd, because I looked there and didn't see that before. In fact, looking at it now all it shows me is what repositories it pulls from, but no settings that allow me to configure the when and how much that I was after. Only the trick that oshunluvr showed me did the trick.

oshunlovr: Right now I'm satisfied with Synaptic for my package manager, although I do agree even that could use some improving.

Comment

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
                CliveJo: That's odd, because I looked there and didn't see that before. In fact, looking at it now all it shows me is what repositories it pulls from, but no settings that allow me to configure the when and how much that I was after. Only the trick that oshunluvr showed me did the trick.
                At least @here, accessing it through Discover actually launches software-properties-kde through kdesudo exactly like I suggested. What are you seeing when you go to it from Discover?Look at the command that appears in the pop-up window when it asks for your password.

Please Read Me

Comment

It's funny you should say that because Discover never asks me for a password. It just loads and gives me the basic "you wanna update?" screen with a bunch of options like installing new apps and stuff, but nothing else.

Comment

Well, it does here. I'd say something is amiss with your install.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hmm, probably not. I tried discover with kdesudo and it's still the same. The command the menu has is "plasma-discover %U", which gives me nothing more than what I told you. However, "kdesudo software-properties-kde" did. So you might be thinking you're using one thing and loading another. Either way I got my updates thing working, so I'm happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X