This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 16.10 apt-get update very slow

I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 16.10 while keeping my previous /home partition (I had Kubuntu 14.04 until now).
    I have the following issues:
    1. ”sudo apt-get update” is very slow and displays ”waiting for headers” for a long time; it does this for each repository
    2. although I successfully configured a dsl connection and ”sudo ping www.google.com -c 3” displays 100% success, firefox browsing does not work; I can search via google but clicking on results does not work; it just waits to connect to site, but never with success; searching directly in address bar does not work at all;

Please provide advice.

Thank you!

Best regards,
    Adrian

While your post is labeled "Today 11.27AM" your local time is 8:01PM, which would put you about 15 degrees east longitude. Eastern Europe?
    IF so, that area has sever Internet lag:
    https://www.akamai.com/us/en/solutio...eb-monitor.jsp

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161025_121414.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	643357
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes sir! I am in Romania. You may be right but... I did a re-install of Kubuntu 14.04 (actually a Linux Mint 17.3 KDE, based on 14.04) and ”sudo apt-get update” is working very well. I will stick with this version for now. I do not understand what is wrong with the sources in the latest LTS.

Best regards, Adrian

P.S. I very much like your motto about truth and the news!

Comment

I borrowed that sig from the Russian peasants of the old USSR. Unfortunately, it is very applicable here in the USA.

My first consideration was that perhaps you had just finished moving a bunch of files. Yesterday I installed SageMath from a tar file, which was 1.2GB. It expanded into 4.5GB of lots of small files. Baloo indexing took over and EVERYTHING slowed to a crawl and three of my four core were maxing out. After about an 30 minutes things were back up to speed.

Figuring that to be unlikely the next most likely possibility would be a slow Internet, because of all the Dyn DDoS attacks taking place. Unfortunately I see that Eastern Europe is still getting hammered.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X