This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Install Epson Printer on 16.04

I have been using Kubuntu 14.04 for my office and personal work computer almost since it came out. I borked my 14.04 install on one of them (long story . . .) and needed to resize and reformat my partitions. I decided to go back with 16.04. The problem is that I can not get my Epson WP-4530 drivers installed --
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of epson-inkjet-printer-201113w:
    epson-inkjet-printer-201113w depends on lsb (>= 3.2); however:
    Package lsb is not installed.

I searched this forum and others and now according to synaptic I have lsb-base, lsb-core 4.1, lsb-invalid-mta 4.1, lsb-release, and lsb-security 4.1 all installed (done in the process of installing Google Earth). However, I still get the same error message. I have rebooted a couple of time since installing lsb.

Any help would be appreciated. I need this printer for work. Or should I just go back to 14.04? Thanks.
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
    Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
    HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

lsb is installed by default on my Xerus installation. However, that Epson driver is eight years old!
    More info here.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I downloaded the driver on the page you referenced. Pretty sure it is the same driver. Anyway this is the result:
      rob@rob-E6510:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i epson-inkjet-printer-201113w_1.0.2-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
      [sudo] password for rob:
      Selecting previously unselected package epson-inkjet-printer-201113w.
      (Reading database ... 206931 files and directories currently installed.)
      Preparing to unpack epson-inkjet-printer-201113w_1.0.2-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking epson-inkjet-printer-201113w (1.0.2-1lsb3.2) ...
      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of epson-inkjet-printer-201113w:
      epson-inkjet-printer-201113w depends on lsb (>= 3.2); however:

dpkg: error processing package epson-inkjet-printer-201113w (--install):
      dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      epson-inkjet-printer-201113w
      rob@rob-E6510:~/Downloads$
      "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Comment

mmm... It looks like Debian dropped lsb-core. Ubuntu follow suit? I don't know. I do know that lsb_release no longer displays anything.

I did some more looking and found this suggestion:
        http://askubuntu.com/questions/76315...ils-on-lsb-3-2

3down vote
        solution is easy, at first
        sudo apt-get install printer-driver-escpr
        and then add printer select type of connection DNS-SD and then ESC/P-R and Ubuntu will add printer successfully

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks, GreyGeek. I will read the article and try it.

Comment

OK, I tried what the article said (or at least what I understood) --

rob@rob-E6510:~$ sudo sudo apt-get install printer-driver-escpr
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree
            Reading state information... Done
            You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
            The following packages have unmet dependencies:
            epson-inkjet-printer-201113w : Depends: lsb (>= 3.2) but it is not installable
            epson-inkjet-printer-escpr : Depends: lsb (>= 3.2) but it is not installable
            E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
            rob@rob-E6510:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree
            Reading state information... Done
            Correcting dependencies... Done
            The following packages will be REMOVED:
            epson-inkjet-printer-201113w epson-inkjet-printer-escpr
            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
            2 not fully installed or removed.
            After this operation, 10.1 MB disk space will be freed.
            Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
            (Reading database ... 207492 files and directories currently installed.)
            Removing epson-inkjet-printer-201113w (1.0.2-1lsb3.2) ...
            Removing epson-inkjet-printer-escpr (1.6.5-1lsb3.2) ...
            Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu3) ...
            rob@rob-E6510:~$

No go. No driver installed.

I had previously downloaded that package, so I tried to install it from the download --

rob@rob-E6510:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.5-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
            [sudo] password for rob:
            Selecting previously unselected package epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.
            (Reading database ... 206994 files and directories currently installed.)
            Preparing to unpack epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.5-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb ...
            Unpacking epson-inkjet-printer-escpr (1.6.5-1lsb3.2) ...
            dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of epson-inkjet-printer-escpr:
            epson-inkjet-printer-escpr depends on lsb (>= 3.2); however:

dpkg: error processing package epson-inkjet-printer-escpr (--install):
            dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
            Errors were encountered while processing:
            epson-inkjet-printer-escpr
            rob@rob-E6510:~/Downloads$

:-(

Comment

The commercial way would be TurboPrint - I used to have problems with Canon ip1700 and I found Turboprint - works better than original windows driver - check - it is cheap. Maybe they have your printer on the list.
              Best regards.

Comment

EDIT: Nope, the following did not work after all. The installed driver does not communicate with the printer :-(

I found a post that suggested running –
                sudo apt-get -f install
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo dpkg --configure -a
                sudo apt-get clean

then: sudo apt-get install printer-driver-escpr

It installed, but it is not a very good driver – no paper source selection and no print quality selection.

Not having the full featured driver was a deal breaker for me. I was reluctantly going to install another distro, BUT on the site GreyGeek had referenced (thank you again) one mentioned using the RPM files. So I downloaded them and ran --
                sudo alien -c -i epson-inkjet-printer-201113w-1.0.2-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm

I have a fully working printer (well I have not tested it yet and it is in another building, but the driver installed). I have no idea why the RPM would work and the DEB would not.
                Last edited by okie2003; May 11, 2016, 10:31 AM. Reason: found out it didn't work

Comment

I saw the RPM files and thought about alien, but dismissed it because of its high failure rate, and the fact that Xerus is a new release featuring a new version of Plasma. I also noticed that one person downloaded the lab-core package from 14.04 to resolve the conflict. Lsb-core isn't installed on 16.06 and isn't in the repository. I didn't recommend doing that because I have no idea what effects installing lab-core would cause.

Comment

Note edit above. The driver appeared to install, but it will not print. I guess I will have to look elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by okie2003 View Post
                      Note edit above. The driver appeared to install, but it will not print. I guess I will have to look elsewhere.

You said it worked in 14.04. Are you going to reinstall it or seek out another distro equal to the 16.04 version. If another distro let us know how it goes and which one you settled on!

Comment

I'm having the same problem with the epson-inkjet-printer-201303w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb driver for my XP-310; it won't install on clean installs of either Ubuntu or Kubuntu, though it works on systems that have been upgraded from earlier OS versions. I presume that is because lsb-core was retained during the system upgrades. On my newly installed K/Ubuntu 16.04 systems, only lsb-base and lsb-release are present.

Comment

I found another solution. The lsb files ARE in the repositories - you just have to make sure the right ones are enabled, which, it would appear, is not done by default in xerus.
                          What worked for me was enabling Canonical partners and ubuntu-updates, and reloading, after which lsb-core, lsb-printing, etc showed up in the available packages.
                          Also try getting the latest driver for your printer from Epson - they've recently released some updated versions.

Comment

Originally posted by alpreston View Post
                            I found another solution. The lsb files ARE in the repositories - you just have to make sure the right ones are enabled, which, it would appear, is not done by default in xerus.
                            What worked for me was enabling Canonical partners and ubuntu-updates, and reloading, after which lsb-core, lsb-printing, etc showed up in the available packages.
                            Also try getting the latest driver for your printer from Epson - they've recently released some updated versions.
                            All of the sources (except source code) are enabled in my repository list, but it does not include "ubuntu-updates". Would you post your APT line please?
                            Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 01, 2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Hello,
                              I'm having similar problems with the Epson SX218 driver, which also require lsb. If I try to install with synaptic, it warns me that half of system will be marked for removal (Amarok, cpp, gfortran, perhaps Firefox).
                              The same kind happened some time ago when I tried to install google earth (so I did not install it).
                              Instead I fumbled with the driver, and half the system was gone. Had to manually reinstall the plasma suite (ver 5), FIrefox and some of the Office. Will have to reinstall gfortran. SX218 driver still missing. I'ts a nuisance to transfer what is to be printed/scanned back and forth from/to a M$Win system!

Also tried to reinstall gfortran-6 (which previously worked) and now there are unresolvable dependencies and cannot be installed !!!

What about ? Any solution ?

Thanks, Merry Xmas and Happy New Year

Comment

Working...
                              X