This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info, TWPonKubuntu.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Expecting to have 'no issues' when using applications developed with the GTK+ UI (Gnome based) runing on a QT/Plasma (KDE/Plasma based) Desktop Environment is like expecting oil and water to not separate when combined. I think, personally, that the degree to which such mixing does works is a testiment to the developers skills.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

A workaround for this is to go to Settings ->System Settings -> Application Appearance -> Colours -> Colours and set the tooltip background to a lighter colour.
        If you're sitting wondering,
        Which Batman is the best,
        There's only one true answer my friend,
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Geez & wow! Why didn't someone say so! Works quickly and perfectly. Thanks, elijathegold.
          Much better sailing now.

A workaround for this is to go to Settings ->System Settings -> Application Appearance -> Colours -> Colours and set the tooltip background to a lighter colour.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@elijathegold THANK YOU, I've been trying to get Mozilla to tell me where this could be edited...

PS remember to save the color change and restart FF.
            Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; May 06, 2016, 07:28 AM.
            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

@elijathegold: this works! I can use gtk-theme oxygen again. I had no idea the Colours setting had anything to do with GTK. Thanks!!!

Comment

From the time I posted the original issue, I updated to 14.04 LTS.
                I also changed to GTK style to Adwaita,
                I saw your post so I decided to give it another try.
                Upgraded and doesn't crash.

I can't say if it was an improved FF package, the upgrade to 14.04 LTS or the Adwaita but it now works.

Maybe I'll test it by changing the GTK theme from Adwaita and so I did.

I changed GTK2 theme to Clearlooks and GTK3 theme to Oxygen-gtk. Restarted Firefox and it didn't crash.

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
                The latest updates to Kubuntu 12.04 today revived Firefox. It no longer crashes when launched.

Code:
                The following packages will be upgraded:
                  gtk3-engines-oxygen
                  libmms0
                  libpoppler-glib8
                  libpoppler-qt4-3
                  libpoppler19
                  libsmbclient
                  libssl1.0.0
                  libtasn1-3
                  libwbclient0
                  openssl
                  poppler-utils
                  samba-common
                  samba-common-bin
                  smbclient
                14 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                I noticed a couple strange visual effects.
                1. Text disappears when I drag the cursor to highlight.
                2. There is a black background behind the scroll bar.
                Last edited by urdrwho5; May 09, 2016, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Apparently, updating to the latest gtk3-engines-oxygen 1.4.1 should solve graphical issues of Firefox. See here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3/+bug/1576042
                  You may want to try, it's preatty easy,
                  However, in my case it didn't help with black borders around the navigation bar, search bar, bookmarks menu and so on.

Comment

After I updated (Firefox and system) Firefox crashes at start. I didn't use Oxygene.
                    I reinstalled Firefox: same problem
                    I reinstalled Kubuntu: same problem
                    I formatted partition, reinstalled Kubuntu: same problem
                    I used different partition, disabled internet and reinstalled Kubuntu: no problem (Hey!!!), except that I'm running on Firefox 28.0 and I'm afraid to update anything. Freshly installed Chromium crashes at start...

Another thread talked about disabling freshplayer (but it's closed so I can't ask them). But where is freshplayer? All /plugins folders are empty and I can't find a freshplayer folder. Besides, everything worked great before the update and i had this happen some years ag. Since then I rarely do updates and I'm about to be frustrated with Kubuntu...

Any help, please.
                    Thanks.

Comment

I can't help you with your problem, sorry.

But to answer my own question above, I can tell you all that compiling firefox against GTK2 solves the graphical issues I was talking about. This happens because from version 47 (or 48, I can't remember) firefox is now compiled against GTK3 by default.

Comment

Originally posted by doorsnotwindows View Post
                        I formatted partition, reinstalled Kubuntu: same problem
                        Did you have a separate home partition, that you didn't reformat?

If yes, try creating a new user and see if the problem occurs with that user. If it doesn't, then the problem is in your home directory. This has occurred to me and renaming the ~/.mozilla directory cured it. Firefox had to resync, with two factor security... a nuisance.

If no, that's weird, is there anything unusual about your hardware? Have you checked the MD5 sums of the iso that you installed from?
                        I used different partition, disabled internet and reinstalled Kubuntu: no problem (Hey!!!), except that I'm running on Firefox 28.0 and I'm afraid to update anything.
                        An up to date browser would be recommended by many. You may have cured it and can update without trouble. If updating reintroduces trouble, try the rename ~/.mozilla thing.
                        Freshly installed Chromium crashes at start...
                        Weird. Slightly more evidence for hardware or bad install media. Are you using a CD, or a USB stick?

The latter are more reliable and faster, if they work on your machine.
                        Another thread talked about disabling freshplayer (but it's closed so I can't ask them). But where is freshplayer? All /plugins folders are empty and I can't find a freshplayer folder.
                        I imagine that it's "flash player" they're talking about, a common source of trouble. If it's not listed in firefox's add-on manager (about:addons) then, well, it's not there. The flash player started being updated a lot in recent months, the linux version is now the same as Windows (24.0.0.194) and I wouldn't be surprised if the newer versions don't work well with old versions of firefox, but your ideas are likely good as mine on that.

Since you asked, it lives in /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so, but firefox finds it via the links /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so and /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin. There's also a cache directory in ~/.adobe/Flash_Player, and something else in ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player.

(In the above I've prefixed some file names with "~/". This just means in your home directory, f.ex. "/home/doorsnotwindows/".)
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                        X