X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual screen view issue

[SIZE=5]Hello guys...

¿Is there any way to avoid the need to restart the X (KDM)?
    Trying to use the dual panel view, (twin view) in the nvidia-settings.
    My Xorg ----> http://pastebin.com/9Bszw3T8
    cat /proc/version:
    Linux version 4.5.0-customlinux (root@duilio-desktop) (gcc version 4.8.4 (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.1) ) #1 SMP Thu Mar 24 18:19:45 ART 2016
    Kubuntu 14.04.4
    Kde 4.14.13
    Nvidia proprietary drivers 361.42
    The strange thing is that when I keep and save (with sudo) the settings of the x in the NVIDIA Control Panel---->Xorg, I can use the system preferences "monitors" smothly , but then I reboot the system, and I try to place monitor A alonside monitor B in a twin view conf, everything comes black again, you can only see the mouse cursor, until you restart kdm.
    So everything you do to change the x to one or another monitor, required the need to restart kdm with no exceptions.
    I try several configurations with Xinerama On and Off, its always the same.
    Instructiones from nvidia:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaMultiMonitors
    This is the only thing compare to gnome or mate that bothers me.
    More infor about my graphics:
    lspci -v -s `lspci | awk '/VGA/{print $1}'`
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. Device 3265
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 48
    Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at f8000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
    I/O ports at e000
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at fe000000 [disabled]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia

¿is this something related to plasma 4, kde? ¿or nvidia proprietary drivers?

Any help is really appreciated

First off; please don't use that font again if possible. It could be just my machine, but it displays very large and is annoying to read.

I see several problems/questions:

1) To my knowledge, KDM is not the default display manager for 14.04. LightDM was. So you changed it?
    2) I have never heard of "a twin view conf" Do you mean "when configuring twinview" or is there some other config file you're using?
    3) I'm not using 14.04 with a GUI any longer, but if my memory serves me correctly, xorg.conf is no longer the default way to configure video card and any updates will remove xorg.conf.
    4) That wiki page you referenced is from 2013. I wouldn't use info that out-of-date.
    5) I believe the correct way to use nivida-settings is as your user, not as root. It is a userspace tool.

And finally and likely most important:

6) You're using a custom kernel several generations ahead of 14.04 default kernels.

To whit, from my 14.04.4 install fully updated:

Code:
    cat /proc/version
    Linux version 3.19.0-58-generic (buildd@lgw01-39) (gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) ) #64~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 18 19:05:43 UTC 2016
    and yours
    cat /proc/version:
    Linux version 4.5.0-customlinux (root@duilio-desktop) (gcc version 4.8.4 (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.1) ) #1 SMP Thu Mar 24 18:19:45
    The point is: with the amount of modification you've done to your install, I doubt anyone here will be able to trouble shoot this without a lot more detailed information. I think most users here keep their systems mostly stock. Not that you can't get it working, but I have no idea where to begin.

Since you clearly want a more up-to-date system, you might consider just installing 16.04 and starting over. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to use the upgrade path with that much modification.

Please Read Me

Comment

By the way; another tip: If you like to live on the bleeding edge, you should look into using the btrfs filesystem instead of ext4. btrfs supports snapshots and rolling back and install when it gets broken.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hey Thanks 4 ur reply, i think i figured it out what was the issue, apparently is something about the nvidia proprietary drivers, my first attempt was to remove and purge all nvidia drivers and reinstall nouveau, and just by doing that the "monitors" control panel work just fine when changing to one or another monitor and mirroring configuration ( xinerama, etc) work just fine. So with nouveau kde can do the thing smoothly, no need to restart kdm, restarting the x is a necessary requirement for the proprietary drivers to work well, at least until your reboot the pc.

But unfortunately for me, i need the proprietary drivers, there is much performance difference between the two drivers at the moment, and i like to play games like Shadows of Mordor sometimes and enjoy the advantage that nvidia drivers can offer.

I change lightdm to KDM, i like the full kubuntu as was before in the early years, lightdm is great, is light and fast, but kdm is more pretty and more customizable.
        in regards of xorg.conf after the NVIDIA driver installation you must run in a terminal "nvidia-xconfig"
        I just read the man page of nvidia-xconfig:

"The system X configuration file is found and read into memory. If no configuration file can be found, nvidia-xconfig generates one from scratch using default settings; in this case, nvidia-xconfig will automatically determine the name of the X configuration file to create: /etc/X11/xorg.conf if the X server in use is X.org or /etc/X11/XF86Config if the X server in use is XFree86"
        I should have read it before

As for opening the nvidia-setting as root you sir are correct, there's no need for sudo by doing that.

I dont think that using newest version of kernel is something wrong or problematic, in fact is already proven to be advisable.

From time to time i like to test distros and different desktop environment just so see the evolution or regretions they may have. KDE 4 is amazing and i love it.

So in conclusion nouveau are ok, proprietary drivers are a little bit more complicated, setup the right configuration not so easy. I know that nothing is broken, just for me is a pity the need to restart kdm and by doing that close all applications you may have running in the background, like torrent apps, mails, etc. Logout and login every time you want to use a Tv or any other display just sucks.

If any other kubuntu 14.04 user have a gtx 7XXX and up and use the nvidia proprietary drivers, and dont have this problem, please tell me what's you xorg configuration, perhaps i can change some config and make it work like it should.

I will keep searching and reading for a workaround. Thanks.

http://imgur.com/EIaTUyL

Comment

While I agree the newer kernels are generally a good idea, upgrading only one part of a system can cause problems, which is why I mentioned it. Your kernel is several magnitudes ahead of other parts of your system.

Let's start by reviewing your Xorg.0.log after a restart.

I'm currently using 15.04 (no time to upgrade right now, but 16.04 will be my next target release) on my desktop so hopefully what I suggest will work on 14.04.

The current way to use xorg.conf "correctly" is to create configuration files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ instead of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In this case, create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf and put your Monitor and Screen sections in it. For example:
          Code:
          Section "Monitor"
              Identifier     "Monitor0"
              VendorName     "Unknown"
              ModelName      "Samsung S24C200"
              HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
              VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
              Option         "DPMS"
          EndSection

Section "Screen"
              Identifier     "Screen0"
              Device         "Device0"
              Monitor        "Monitor0"
              DefaultDepth    24
              Option         "DPI" "94x94"
          #    Option         "Stereo" "0"
              Option         "Twinview" "1"
              Option         "TwinviewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
              Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1920x1080 +1920+0, DFP-1: 1920x1080 +0+0"
              SubSection     "Display"
                  Depth       24
              EndSubSection
          EndSection

Sometimes, in a case where the "fix" needs to be invoked prior to login manager the best place would be in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/52-nvidia.conf

Oh, and thanks for not using that font again!

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok so after a while, maybe by accident , i figured it out that the problem lies in kwin settings. So to save some time and make things simple, when i want to use my big tv && in order to avoid conflicts, must do first [ Alt+ Shift+F12 ] to turning off kwin.
            Turning off kwin let "twin view configuration" in system settings (monitors control panel) run like it should, with no problema whatsoever.
            This is not a major inconvenience, so it does not bother me, but it would be nice that some kubuntu dev take care of this issue.
            I know that the source of the issue lies in the kwin windows settings. But kwin has_many configurations options, i dont know the exact point to look at.
            Anyway i hope this would be fixed in the near future.
            I love Kubuntu, bye.

Comment

Working...
            X