X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15.10 vs 14.04

Hi to all,
    I have a new laptop and have a dilema
    use solid 14.04 or use new interface on 15.10 what is your opinion.

Till now I'm using 14.04

use solid 14.04
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

What he said ^
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

What they said unless it doesn't support your hardware... It's why I upgraded from 14.04 and am waiting for 16.04.
        If you're sitting wondering,
        Which Batman is the best,
        There's only one true answer my friend,
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Try it from a usb stick, and see for yourself, you might find you like it, and that it is stable for your use.

Comment

I upgraded my HP 64-bit Intel i3 from 14.10 to 15.04, and then to 15.10 just the other day, and did so on a wireless network connection. Had no problems, and the two-stage upgrade completed just fine.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Most modern laptops have plenty of disk space to run them as dual or even triple boot.
              That's what I have always had, one recent to play with and a solid install next to it in case the new one breaks.
              Last edited by Teunis; Oct 29, 2015, 01:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                Most modern laptops have plenty of disk space to run them as dual or even triple boot.
                That's what I have always have, one recent to play with and a solid install next to it in case the new one breaks.
                I have 5

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Definitely stay with 14.04 or 14.10.
                  I am using Ubuntu 15.10.
                  14,10 runs circles around a sluggish 15.10.

I only keep Ubuntu 15.10 because I cannot install Kubuntu 15.10 without a system crash. And I am notorious for always trying to keep the latest OS.

Comment

14.10 is unsupported now isn't it?
                    If you're sitting wondering,
                    Which Batman is the best,
                    There's only one true answer my friend,
                    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Yes, it reached EOL. See http://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My vote (if we're voting... ) is to install BOTH. Either partition your drive (or use btrfs) and install 14.04 and 15.10 along side each other. Use 14.04 daily as your primary OS. When you're in the mood or just playing around, boot into 15.10 and play with it. Add stuff to it, try various things with it, etc. Eventually one of two things will occur: You'll get 15.10 working to your liking and stop booting into 14.04 or you'll become frustrated and tired of fixing 15.10 and you'll stop booting into it.

Then you'll have your answer and you won't question your decision.

@here, I always keep an LTS install on the computer in case I break my other install(s). That way I know I have a stable platform if I need to get something done or to some trouble shooting.

Please Read Me

Comment

I do it the other way around, I use the latest and most fragile until it breaks.
                          If my attempts at repair don't work out I will use the solid version until I/to find a solution.

Comment

It's really a matter of how adventurous you are. 14.04 is still KDE. 15's have been clobbered by Plasma which still gets its knickers in a twist. There are +'s and -'s for either.

Comment

Originally posted by Fester Bestertester View Post
                              It's really a matter of how adventurous you are. 14.04 is still KDE. 15's have been clobbered by Plasma which still gets its knickers in a twist. There are +'s and -'s for either.
                              14.04 is still KDE
                              yes plasma-4 KDE ,,,,,,,,and the 15's plasma-5

we had the same "growing panes" when we went from KDE-3.5 to KDE-plasma-4

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X