Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12.04 was a beautiful dream, 14.04 a nightmare.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12.04 was a beautiful dream, 14.04 a nightmare.

Two issues in 14.04: baloo & the new Network manager.

If installing 14.04 from new, you might not see what baloo is able to do, because no documents to scan for content. But if you upgrade, and have 10+GB of old documents, baloo starts immediately to scan them for content, and laptop's temperature reaches 70&+°C in only 2 min. If you don't unplug laptop from the AC adapter (the fastest way to stop baloo) you risk to lose it (bake some eggs meanwhile). Adding home and media directories to the single customizing option for baloo (do not scan for content), solves the issue partially: try to gscan2pdf a page (with ocr disabled in gscan2pdf) and you'll see temperature reaching 70+°C before scanner goes back in position. This is because baloo still ocrizes it, as the temp file isn't in either home or media directories. Including baloo with 14.04 was a huuuuuge mistake.

New Network manager disconnects computer from router every 5 minutes, or each time starting another app using the connection. Don't believe it is the generic broadcome driver making these troubles, because this same driver works well in Fedora. Believe network manager is set somehow to go in standby with wrong or no reason.

Because of these two issues, in my opinion 14.04 doesn't even deserve a Beta designation, so dysfunctional and risky for the machine is it. It is shocking to see such an OS after falling in love with 12.04. Personally I reinstalled 12.04, and with Jupiter on it, run now under 45°C (exception only youtube 720p on full screen, which rises temperature at max. 50~52°C). Now, when ending this post, temperature shows 39°C (while in the room are 21°C). This is a good OS.
    Last edited by aria; Nov 10, 2014, 09:06 PM. Reason: Title
    aria

some things to do if you go back to 14.04 :

disable baloo. you can do so in system settings-> desktop search by adding your home folder (and anyother mounted drives you don't want scanned) to the ingore list.

when the network manager dissconnects are you prompted with a password dialog? if so you might have been disconnected because your router jumped channels and network manager is not accessing kwallet correctly. check system settings -> about me -> kde wallet -> access control and see if the network manager is on the list. you might have to make a new wallet to resolve the issue this worked for my brother. i have not seen it on another machine with wifi (all mine are atheros cards his is the only broadcom i have used w/ 14.04)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

aria@
      Your experience is, your experience, but I have to say that your criticism as to 4.04 not even deserving a Beta designation is overly harsh.

I have two laptops; a 32-bit Core-duo and a 64-bit i3. Both run 14.04, with Baloo, without any issues or temp problems. 14.04 is, in my estimation, a very polished Kubuntu release.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@sithlord48:

About baloo: already did what you said, but as I wrote in my first post here (see gscan2pdf), wasn't enough.

Don't use wallet, and nothing wrong with the password. Just the well known issue of this new NM with broadcoms. But don't believe in a driver issue, like I mentioned (see Fedora).

Thanks anyway,
        Last edited by aria; May 28, 2014, 10:41 PM.
        aria

Comment

@snowhog:

Harsh but (unfortunately) true on my HP-g6 I3-2350M@2.3GH 64-bit, 8GB-RAM, broadcom WiFi.
          Including baloo with 14.04 was a very bad decision (although highly disputed, as I can read in this forum), and new NM a scrap (as I can read in this forum too).
          Last edited by aria; May 28, 2014, 10:43 PM.
          aria

Comment

Currently I am still running 12.04 LTS and have no plans to fix what is not broken. However I recall having issues with 10.10 and 12.04 when I first installed them. Nepomuk and Wallet were some of these issues for me. Just as when most people who installed Windows for the 5th or 6th time knew better and eliminated annoying software right away. However it sounds from the initial posting you came here to rant about 14.04 and not actually seeking assistance. The members of this forum are mostly users of the same software and most likely not a developer in the whole lot.

Should you decide to accept assistance you might want to read some articles.
            http://community.kde.org/Baloo/Debugging
            http://userbase.kde.org/Nepomuk#Freq...sked_Questions

Have a nice day.

Comment

Everyone has their own experience. My 12.04 experience was the opposite. My broadcom was so terrible I went on eBay to find an oem Intel Wi-Fi card for the laptop. NM did not like connecting to vpn. Nepomuk sucked the life out of my laptop until it was done with it's thing.

On the exact same hardware, minus that crap Broadcom WiFi, nm, Baloo, etc run like a champ on this 6 year old hardware.

I will continue to say that, imnsho, LTS status is less a thing in kubuntu than people make it out to be, or that it should be. Yes, it is "supported" longer, but as we don't really control the desktop software, it becomes difficult, I think, unless one keeps the LTS updated to the latest KDE down the road, via the ppas.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

I installed 12.04 when it was Alpha, in January of 2012. I was planing to stay with it until 17.04. Precise ran great until an update of the kernel (3.2.x) rendered the Atheros AR9462 wireless chip very unstable and unreliable last November, forcing me to plug in an ethernet cable from my wireless router. I tried KWeezy 1.5 for a couple months and it worked great using the 3.9.x kernel. When 14.04 went Alpha in January I tried it out using a LiveUSB and found that my AR9462 worked even better than it did in 12.04 before the kernel update. So, I re-installed Kubuntu and have been very pleased with Trusty.

I do have some problems with FireFox 29, which seems to take an inordinately long time to display some pages and often requires me to reload a YouTube page to get the video to play. While FireFox's busy wheel is spinning I can pop up a Konsole and ping the website that FireFox is trying to display and get an immediate echo. Meanwhile FF continues spinning its wheels and the wireless network traffic display is showing zero bytes (except when I ping). It appears that FF is having trouble communicating with the IP stack.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by aria View Post
                  Harsh but (unfortunately) true on my HP-g6 I3-2350M@2.3GH 64-bit, 8GB-RAM, broadcom WiFi.
                  Including baloo with 14.04 was a very bad decision (although highly disputed, as I can read in this forum), and new NM a scrap (as I can read in this forum too).
                  Equally, one could logically conclude that buying an "HP-g6 I3-2350M@2.3GH 64-bit, 8GB-RAM, broadcom WiFi" was a very bad decision, at least if you planning on using Kubuntu on it. Or maybe not; if one took the time and effort to actually try and find solutions to the reported issues.

As Simon notes, this is a user forum geared toward community based cooperation. Well researched posts that include necessary information along with thought out requests for assistance are almost always greeted with offers of help.

Please Read Me

Comment

I don't get the complaints. If there shouldn't be any rants in the forum then there shouldn't be a "soapbox" section of the forum. This isn't the place to ask for support, and the user wasn't asking for it. The OP isn't necessarily poorly researched either considering that the main fix for baloo issues was already tried (adding home folder to exclusions), and the wifi issues were already researched to insure that the card itself wasn't the issue (it works in other distros).

Personally, I don't have many issues with KDE. It's a resource hog, but I knew that going in. IMO, KDM was a better fit than LDM (it's a bit difficult to customize still), but that's nothing new either. KDE has a lot of good software options, and the interface is smooth and intuitive. It's one of the final bastions of the true desktop work environment, and the changes that the KDE has made to the archetype have been enhancements with very few regressions (except for resource use, obviously). Unlike Gnome or Unity where new features tend to coincide with the deletion of old features.

Comment

Thanks springshades to remind users that this is the Soapbox section. For those who don't like the soap, don't visit this section.

I also remind visitors to read the subject line, and my starting post too: 12.04 was and continues to be a dream, a beautiful one! I'm in love with it.

Back to you springshades: I felt just like you, because of Kubuntu (which in my opinion was the best KDE) I came to install and be happy with 12.04. Gnome shell and it's derivatives (except for Pinguy) become frustrating.

@oshunluvr: The bad decision you mentioned was the best for 12.04. And should I remind you that baloo didn't came with the bios of my hp, but with the 14.04 OS?

There's a huge difference between Nepomuk and Baloo: In Nepomuk you can enable or disable the search indexing by content (default is disabled), while in Baloo you can only add one or more directories to a don't search for indexing by content list. But you cannot disable it. Why does this bother me? Read my starting post about gscan2pdf. I added to the don't search list not only my Home directory, but also the Media one, and still couldn't contain this beast. It is permanently enabled and with all restrictions I imposed on it, still continued to make bad surprises. Not giving the option to disable a non-essential application does not belong to the Linux culture, makes me feel more like I did years ago, when I was using Windows.

BTW, KDE-Wallet, like Nepomuk, can be easyily disabled (System Settings -> Account Details) - it's one of the firsts things I do with a new OS. Have no truble with apps giving me a choice, a true one, not like Baloo.

I stand behind all my affirmations, and (for few of you, only) have, please, the decency to avoid personal attacks. Thanks.
                      Last edited by aria; May 29, 2014, 10:40 PM.
                      aria

Comment

I didn't hear anyone say that you are not entitled to an opinion. Snowhog said your criticism was harsh. That was also his opinion. Oshunluvr's opinion was about the selection of hardware. My opinion was that you voiced a rant that didn't take into account, there is a solution for every problem. Sometimes that solution is reverting. I try to step back and see positives and negatives about everything. That doesn't always work... but I do try.

I am happy that you are happy.

Comment

Baloo is actually quite configurable (and you can disable it). The main problem with baloo in 4.13.0 is that the config dialog is minimalistic to a fault. In 4.13.1 (not in main repos yet, but available from kubuntu updates ppa), the config dialog includes an explicit enable/disable checkbox.

There is also an alternate system settings config module (developed by Lindsay Mathieson) that exposes more of the configuration options than the stock module, you can see screenshots on https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...71-Baloo-links. You can get the module from Rogs ppa.

Network connection issues are not likely caused by plasma-nm, it's just a front-end widget that doesn't do any of the "heavy lifting" for network connectivity. If you have problems with your connection, the "blame" lies with the kernel, the driver or the networkmanager backend. Some Broadcom chips seem to have problems with recent kernels (or the other way around).

Comment

The soap goes both ways, by the way

I fail to see any personal attacks. It is something we don't care for here. Give even somewhat harsh comments without expecting a response, and in this case, much milder in comparison to the OP, might be a bit unrealistic.

It is also forgotten that nepomuk and akonadi were the bane in kde back in the 12.04
                            era
                            (Why does kde seem to do this just before our LTS releases lol!)

In the end, I think one area we here at KFN are lacking is better direction of issues, problems, bugs, etc to the bugzillas.

bugs.kde.org for Kde things
                            bugs.launchpad.net for driver,kernel, and other ubuntu specific things.

The kubuntu-devel mailing list ( perhaps even #kubuntu-devel channel on freenode irc) is where you can inform the Kubuntu team on your thoughts.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Actually there might be a way to disable Baloo (have no more 14.04 installed, but if Baloo can be find where Nepomuk is, it can also be disabled):
                              System Settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> Service Manager (Startup Services).
                              I disabled this way Bluetooth, should work for Baloo too. But, doing so, all search option are lost, while with Nepomuck it is possible to disable only the indexing by content (which is the hamster taking resources and heating the machine).

As for NM, never had such issues with Fedora, using kernel generic driver, this is why I blamed the NM. Nevermind, Broadcom is such a rare hardware...
                              Last edited by aria; May 30, 2014, 08:35 AM.
                              aria

Comment

Working...
                              X