This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No desktop effects; System Settings seg faults when I click on "Desktop"

Recently, all desktop effects have stopped working for me in KDE. (A few days ago I plugged my laptop into a TV screen via an HDMI cable and I think it was after that that the problem started, but I don't recall fiddling with any desktop effect settings.) If I click on System Settings then Desktop, System Settings always crashes with the error message "Executable: systemsettings PID: nnnnn Signal: 11 (Segmentation fault)". In the brief split-second before it crashes I can see a line of text claiming that compositing is disabled, but this never used to be the case.

Could anyone help me to figure out: a) why compositing appears to have been disabled, and b) why System Settings always seg faults when I click on Desktop?

Many thanks :-)

Also, if I run systemsettings from the command line, the output is as follows:

Code:
    simon@simon-laptop:~$ systemsettings 
    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/simon/.config/ibus/bus
    Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
    simon@simon-laptop:~$ systemsettings(10581)/kwin KWin::Extensions::init: Extensions: shape: 0x "11"  composite: 0x "4"  render: 0x "a"  fixes: 0x "40"
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
    QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 11 and type 'Read', disabling...
    KCrash: Application 'systemsettings' crashing...
    sock_file=/home/simon/.kde/socket-simon-laptop/kdeinit4__0

Comment

First question: Is this behavior occurring with your HDMI connection unplugged? If 'yes', do you experience the same behavior if you plug your HDMI connection back in?
      Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 29, 2013, 02:57 PM.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, this is without the HDMI cable plugged in. Unfortunately, I'm not at home at the moment (Christmas etc.) and don't have access to the cable so I shan't be able to check for nearly a week. I might have to come back to this in a few days' time...

Comment

First guess as to why compositing has been disabled is your video system slowed significantly when you plugged in the second monitor and it turned off compositing.

ALT-SHIFT-F12 should turn it back on (video restart may be required).

The segfault may or may not be related. A faulty user setting could cause it. Try creating a new user and logging in as that user to see if the segfault goes away. If it does, compare your .kwinrc files and see what's different.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            First guess as to why compositing has been disabled is your video system slowed significantly when you plugged in the second monitor and it turned off compositing.

ALT-SHIFT-F12 should turn it back on (video restart may be required).
            Alt+Shift+F12 has no effect (even with a restart).

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            The segfault may or may not be related. A faulty user setting could cause it. Try creating a new user and logging in as that user to see if the segfault goes away. If it does, compare your .kwinrc files and see what's different.
            I've tried with a brand new user and exactly the same behaviour occurs.

Comment

Please verify your system is fully updated:

Code:
              sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X