Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fonts in KDE became THIN just by visiting the systemsettings/app apearance/fonts

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fonts in KDE became THIN just by visiting the systemsettings/app apearance/fonts

Hello!
    Let me first say, i am really very sensitive about how fonts look in kde. The fact of the font outlook is essntial to the whole "beauty" of kde - more than wallpapers, widgets, etc.. When you install kde from fresh - it has a very beautiful font configuration. But - i dont know if that exists from long time ago or this problem appeared in saucy/trusty packages, i now cannot fix it back, and im asking for any help. By default - if one looks under system settings / application appearance and clicks on a font tab, with fresh install except for "mono" font the others are chosen by default to use UBUNTU font. Even if you dont do anything (NOT EVEN cliscking apply, but just back - there is no way back...the fonts are changed. If i play around witheither different sizes or diferent fonts and click apply... there is again - no way back - if you click on the reset button - it changes those fonts to "Sans serif", and even if you manually change all back to "ubuntu" it doesnt look the same anymore. First of all the fonts look very thin - so thin in fact, that they are sometimes unreadable...specially inside of firefox... not to mention more ugly. Then i went and in different forums i found a suggestion to delete /home/(my_name)/.fonts.conf, that that solves the problem. Un fortunately i dont have a fonts.conf, .fonts.conf, font.conf, .font.conf or any of those variants anywhere on the computer. i mulitple times tried so search with dolphin's search AND with sudo dolphin+search. So i dont know where is the original "beautiful" font information hidden or how to get it back. Strange that the original font infrmation is NOT saved under the DEFAULTS button. I tried to play wiht different antialiasing options + higher dpi - but nothing gave me the desired results,... everytime at the end i finish with even worse results than before... i read this problem has to do sth with kde and gnome or maybe qt and gtk programs interacting with each other...also a i saw this problem had plagued kde since version 3 (by reading several old posts in different forums about this error). Please help me how to get the beautiful fonts back to kde, without me again trying to install the whole kubuntu from scratch...and yes for a designer that i am it is important enough that i would do it.. it bothers me this much.
    ps. i saw this behavior in both - normal kde 4.11.2 and project neon 4.11.60
    Note: perhaps this issue is also connected to project neon use? other than that im already using packages in trusty-proposed, so im getting the newest stuff.. thank you for your help!

Symon

ps also reported this as a bug here:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=326971

I've had similar odd behaviour here in Kubuntu 12.04 with KDE 4.8.5.

This page helped me fix the problem: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...eeps-resetting

Basically edit this file so the system defaults to YOUR font choices: file:///usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kdeglobals

It sounds like your problem may also be related to font hinting settings. In my system I have in System Settings, Application Appearance, Fonts, Use anti-aliasing is Enabled and Use sub-pixel rendering is RGB, Hinting style: Medium.

However, it may be different in your system as you're using a later version of Kubuntu/KDE.
    Last edited by Rod J; Nov 07, 2013, 11:50 PM. Reason: Extra info
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I just had a look at the KDE bug report you posted. The pics you attached look to me like a problem in connection with Windows fonts appearing strangely in Kubuntu. I've seen this happen myself.

Have a look at this page, the last post was a solution to this problem for me: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/95...-calibri-font/

BTW, I'm an old typesetter so I can sympathise with your problem ... I really appreciate font aesthetics myself.
      Last edited by Rod J; Nov 08, 2013, 12:31 AM.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Working...
      X