This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
    I've been considering setting up my own dropbox-like storage with OwnCloud.

From what I can tell, the features of the two are very similar.

If you've used it, how did it perform (and under what conditions, connection speed etc.) ?

I noticed that the desktop client is in the Ubuntu repos, is it any good? How about the Android app?

Feathers
    I am tempted to try ownCloud on a home server just to get familiar with it.

Would love it if LibreOffice could come out with a web-based version of the complete office suite to integrate with ownCloud so it is almost a full Google Drive / SkyDrive replacement.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS Linux Sig | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Comment

Originally posted by dragonbite View Post
      I am tempted to try ownCloud on a home server just to get familiar with it.

Would love it if LibreOffice could come out with a web-based version of the complete office suite to integrate with ownCloud so it is almost a full Google Drive / SkyDrive replacement.
      The newest release (6) has collaborative ODF document editing!
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Perhaps the ProxyPassReverse part wasn't set up properly, I think this can cause errors when the backend server redirects traffic.
        Interesting discovery and a plausible explanation for the weird behavior you were seeing.

The newest release (6) has collaborative ODF document editing!
        Yep, just installed it the other day. I fear that my favorite CalDAV/CardDAV server is becoming abandonware. The dev's wiki server died many months ago, and despite offers by others to take over, the project appears to be going nowhere. So I will need another CalDAV/CardDAV server.

But as much as I want to love OwnCloud, I have my doubts. Take a look at how buggy (changelog, issues) that thing has been over the years -- I wonder about their code quality and testing procedures. This is what happens when you try to do too much in PHP, I think. I spent a couple hours struggling with SabreDAV to make it gripe less about self-signed and name-mismatched certificates, all very common in home situations when you want SSL only for encryption and don't care about authentication. I found a solution, but self-signed certs continually give problems in so many cases I splurged last night and bought a three-year cert from Network Solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          I spent a couple hours struggling with SabreDAV to make it gripe less about self-signed and name-mismatched certificates, all very common in home situations when you want SSL only for encryption and don't care about authentication. I found a solution, but self-signed certs continually give problems in so many cases I splurged last night and bought a three-year cert from Network Solutions.
          Didn't you say (before, in a different thread) that you used CAcert?

I've been using it for my website etc, it's been really useful.

I was disappointed to find that Ampache wasn't working properly with OwnCloud 5 and Android when I was using it last. I'm going to set up OwnCloud again soon and I'm hoping it's been fixed.

I may try using different port to connect to OwnCloud, instead ProxyPass, because I noticed ProxyPass was using quite a bit of CPU.
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I might be interested in setting up an OwnCloud server. What hardware would you recommend?
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Always consider Occam's Razor
            Rich

Comment

Didn't you say (before, in a different thread) that you used CAcert?
              CAcert's root isn't trusted by Android. I am trying to reduce the amount of time I spend tinkering with the various devices my family owns; using a cert from a CA that chains to a trusted public root means that I don't have to install CAcert's root on half a dozen devices or teach my family to ignore scary "invalid cert" warnings.

I was disappointed to find that Ampache wasn't working properly with OwnCloud 5 and Android when I was using it last. I'm going to set up OwnCloud again soon and I'm hoping it's been fixed.
              Ampache has been removed from OC 6.0.

Originally posted by richb View Post
              I might be interested in setting up an OwnCloud server. What hardware would you recommend?
              My home server is a ThinkCentre M92p tiny.

Comment

I hadn't considered the number of devices, I can see how that would get frustrating after a while! Don't pretend you don't love tinkering though

No Ampache... I'm disappointed one thing I'd love to be able to do without Google is stream music from my own server. Any suggestions for a good way to do this? I would be streaming to Android devices.

A Raspberry Pi will run OwnCloud, but not very quickly. If I was buying specifically for OwnCloud, I'd choose something with a bit more welly!
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

My home server is a ThinkCentre M92p tiny.
                  If I am not mistaken that is a desktop computer. i was thinking more aong the lines of just a network storage device.
                  Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                  Always consider Occam's Razor
                  Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
                    If I am not mistaken that is a desktop computer. i was thinking more aong the lines of just a network storage device.
                    Yep, it is. But mine sits on a shelf in the first-floor coat closet data center, next to the cable modem, router, switch, and Windows Home Server. I run it headless just like any other server.

Some community-provided documentation exists for installing on QNAP and Synology NAS devices and OpenWRT routers. I haven't personally tried any of these.

Comment

No Ampache... I'm disappointed one thing I'd love to be able to do without Google is stream music from my own server. Any suggestions for a good way to do this? I would be streaming to Android devices.
                      Sure...
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get install ampache
                      I'm not sure which database you're running. I prefer PostgreSQL, which (up until now) worked with everything I'm using. But, as packaged for Debian, Ampache works only with MySQL, so you might need to install that if you aren't already using it.

Now for Android clients. Selections are meager. Ampahce.Net simply will not work over HTTPS at all. It throws this error when trying to log in:
                      Code:
                      Error getting response stream (Write: The authentication or decryption has failed.): SendFailure
                      I emailed the developer; alas, I don't expect to hear anything back. Looks like he's quit the project:

I have cranked the server's debug log files to 11 and nothing appears...I'm not even sure the app tries to connect. It does work over HTTP, though.

The only other recently-dated app is Just Player with the Ampache provider plugin. It works! But it's rather basic.

welly
                      Translate, please?
                      Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 18, 2013, 01:18 AM.

Comment

mine sits on a shelf in the first-floor coat closet data center, next to the cable modem, router, switch, and Windows Home Server.
                        But... where does Harry sleep now?!
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Translate, please?
                          *Oomph?

Welly is a contraction of Wellington Boot (not sure if you call them not or not?)

So... able to give a bit more of a boot up the bum. I guess, lol.

Thanks for the links, I have tried both of those with OwnCloud's Ampache, but not the vanilla version. I'll have a look
                          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

But... where does Harry sleep now?!
                            On the 9¾-th floor.

a boot up the bum
                            Many other objects, too.

Comment

Why do we always end up talking about this?! Lol
                              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment