Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to set/change Dolphin's default "columns used" in "Details View"[ctrl+3]?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set/change Dolphin's default "columns used" in "Details View"[ctrl+3]?

Currently in Dolphin when I switch to "details view" I see the default columns: Name, Size and Date
    I am used to seeing Type too, so I add it everytime.. which feels not very effective to say the least.

So I searched around in Dolphin's configuration menu and found these configuration windows:
    "Configure Shortcuts"
    "Configure Toolbars"
    "Configure Dolphin"

only the last one seemed like it could be of any use to me.
    in {View Modes->Details} I could not see a way to configure at all the 'Details' view mode, columns-wise.

the only thing that I thought would help was:
    {General->Behavior->[tick]Use common view properties for all folders}

but it did not really help as effectively when I closed and relaunched dolphin I had to manually add the Type column in 'Details' view mode all over again
    and also I had no way of reaching a configuration form for this "common view" scheme.

Right-click on column header in dolphin and you should get a menu to choose what columns to show. (drag-n-drop allows reordering).

EDIT: sorry, too quick to response, didn't realise your problem was that the setting doesn't stick.

EDIT2:
    Dolphin's view settings are stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties. If you are using "common properties for all folders" the file should be ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/global/.directory. If the setting doesn't stick, I'd first check that the file is owned by your user and writable for that user.
    Last edited by kubicle; Jul 11, 2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Dolphin > Control > Adjust View Properties > select "Details" > Additional Information > select choices > OK > tic the "Use these view properties as default" box > OK
      Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Dolphin > Control > Adjust View Properties > select "Details" > Additional Information > select choices > OK > tic the "Use these view properties as default" box > OK
        Ah, Those settings were not visible for me with an old dolphinrc (an old upgraded installation). Maybe that's the problem with the OP as well.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Thank you for the readable standard looking menu path string,
          but I don't have that menu path at all in my version of dolphin:
          Originally posted by dolphin version
          $ dolphin --version
          Qt: 4.8.1
          KDE Development Platform: 4.8.5 (4.8.5)
          Dolphin: 2.0
          @oshunluvr, what is your version?

Comment

The current Dolphin version is 2.2 and the current KDE SC version is 4.10.5. From Kubuntu 12.04 and later, these are available via the Kubuntu backports repository: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports. Hope this helps.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Well, you could try editing the config file directly. It's location/name is:

~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/global/.directory

You can go to any directory, set it as you like, open the hidden "directory" file in that location, copy the contents, open the file above and copy into it, save.

Example:
              Code:
              [Dolphin]Timestamp=2013,7,11,17,48,49
              Version=3
              ViewMode=1
              VisibleRoles=Details_text,Details_size,Details_date,Details_owner,Details_group,CustomizedDetails

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                Ah, Those settings were not visible for me with an old dolphinrc (an old upgraded installation). Maybe that's the problem with the OP as well.
                In my dolphinrc, the "offending" setting was:
                GlobalViewProps=true
                (but I'm on 4.10.90)

Originally posted by Miki800 View Post
                Thank you for the readable standard looking menu path string,
                but I don't have that menu path at all in my version of dolphin:
                If you have menubar visible, it should be View>AdjustViewProperties

Comment

Thank you very much, that file seems very useful!

Comment

Thank you very much, that file seems very useful!
                    Editing the config file manually is sort the "last resort", can you change the global view settings from dolphin?

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                      Editing the config file manually is sort the "last resort", can you change the global view settings from dolphin?
                      for now it looks like its working just as I wanted it to.
                      but as I said before, I did not find anything in the entire veriaty of the dolphin's configuration guis available
                      that show me any thing similar to "list available columns for details-view here"

Comment

Not sure this will help, however. You might try to open a konsole and type in sudokdesudo dolphin. When the applications opens in "root'. Make the "details" choice, close the konsole and try the result.
                        Currently in Dolphin when I switch to "details view" I see the default columns: Name, Size and Date
                        I am used to seeing Type too, so I add it everytime.. which feels not very effective to say the least.

So I searched around in Dolphin's configuration menu and found these configuration windows:
                        "Configure Shortcuts"
                        "Configure Toolbars"
                        "Configure Dolphin"

only the last one seemed like it could be of any use to me.
                        in {View Modes->Details} I could not see a way to configure at all the 'Details' view mode, columns-wise.

the only thing that I thought would help was:
                        {General->Behavior->[tick]Use common view properties for all folders}

but it did not really help as effectively when I closed and relaunched dolphin I had to manually add the Type column in 'Details' view mode all over again
                        and also I had no way of reaching a configuration form for this "common view" scheme.

Comment

Actually Shabakthanai, the root account has it's own settings when you open dolphin with root privileges. Any settings you change will be saved for the root account, but won't effect your own.

Please Read Me

Comment

Resurrecting this old thread:

Anyone figure out how to set default view settings in Dolphin on 15.04 ?

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr
                              Resurrecting this old thread:

Anyone figure out how to set default view settings in Dolphin on 15.04 ?
                              Do you have a problem with the Dolphin default settings ?

At here(*), the default settings are working as before:

- https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post331112
                              - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post331116

The default Dolphin is from the KDE4 so it is saving to the ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/.
                              The KF5 Dolphin is saving the view properties to the ~/.local/share/dolphin/view_properties/.

(*) I am using: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post233476
                              => Open the Dolphin in the ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/global/ (*1) and turn the Icons/Details/Columns/Preview/... on/off. The settings are saved to the ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/global/.directory file and used as the global defaults - IF the local folder does not have own .directory file with the overriding settings.

KDE .directory file:

The .directory file is a KDE folder view properties file. It contains the folder viewing settings for a directory in KDE. It includes settings such as icon positions and view mode (icon, list, etc.). Automatically created when the view settings of a folder are modified. Hidden by default.

(*1) If the ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/global/ directory does not exist, you could make it.
                              Last edited by OneLine; Jun 20, 2015, 10:50 AM.
                              Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
                              - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Working...
                              X