This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    I install sudo right away and add my account to the wheel group. What alternative do you use?
    Alt-F2 "kdesu konsole" is a friend. For running updates, Ctrl-Alt-F1 to the tty console, login "root" and the root password, followed by
    Code:
    service kdm stop
    kills all user and X-related processes on a systemd system, so you can run
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    to update your system.

BTW this computer that I'm working on originally had an early 2011 installation of sid, and has been continually updated since then -- it's really not all that tricky to maintain if you observe a few simple common-sense rules.

But how do you handle the freeze, when even Sid sees little activity? That would drive me nuts!
    The bug-fixed packages continued to flow into sid as Wheezy stabilized, so it's not as though nothing was happening. But yes, the drama level goes down a lot, and yes, KDE languished at 4.9x for a long while, and then 4.10.2 forever, until a few weeks back when a friend of siduction packaged up 4.10.4 for us, in a special siduction repo.

On the other hand, look at all the drama since the Wheezy release -- yikes! About lost vmware there for a week or so, one day all of the i386 gcc packages were removed, and now phonon:i386 will rip out all of the 64-bit audio packages on a 64-bit system (i.e. no skype for me on this rig!), and as far as I can tell, php5 is still a mess for those who need it (not me). So the weeks and months after a debian release can be a character-building time for sid users.

Yeah, I know "revolutionary" doesn't exactly describe Debian's goals, but still
    Well, some days you just want the damned thing to work, so a revolution is not always what you're looking for when you sit down at the keyboard.
    Last edited by dibl; Jun 13, 2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

lol well I ran, as a secondary install, aptosid for several years.

Getting printer dirvers to work and getting codecs on board were well....labourious...lol but they DID work and the setup worked fine, but, although I was welcomed at the forums, I had another username, they are not very much into forum stuff...

I did not use the KDE desktop, and wanted to concentrate on xfce so anyway...

But... since there is now an option for using KDE or KDE lite, and there is a gui for adding codecs, etc. well...

a "quick and dirty" for trying KDE on Debian SID is available with a download! lol

http://duskfire.wordpress.com/2013/0...os-quick-look/

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        .... although I was welcomed at the forums, I had another username, they are not very much into forum stuff...
        That is a fact, re: aptosid.

However, if you take a look at the siduction forum, you will see a much livelier group, although the dev team really prefers working with you on IRC if you have a serious problem.
        Last edited by dibl; Jun 13, 2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Martin Graesslin, the maintainer of KWin, writes that we should expect to see an experimental Wayland backend in KWin with the release of 4.11 beta 1.
          While I have been sleepinng there has certainly been a lot of very interesting pow wow on this topic.

I did see the reference to Wayland in 4.11 beta 1, but I got the impression that it was still experimental and had limitations. So it would be great if by the final release, Wayland was in 4.11:-o.

One feature that I believe will be in Wayland is its ability to automatically stop the screen saver starting when showing a full screen video with say VLC. At a group that I meet with, they are all MS Windows users and I always enjoy showing what Kubuntu can do. Unfortunately, on one occasion I forgot to disable the screen saver.

Wayland is a bigger project than Mir. Wayland, like most other large Linux projects, seeks to maintain some semblance of ABI (application binary interface) stability between releases. It must be distribution-agnostic, so that it can work on any distribution. And it will run an X server as a Wayland client, for backwards compatibility.

Canonical promises none of these for Mir. In fact, they specifically deny any effort to maintain ABI stability. Given that Mir has a smaller scope, which means less work to do, they might get something out the door in a year.
          Looks like Canonical will be keeping this all for their own Desktop. Like with Unity I believe it can not be used by anyone else. I am waiting to see if with Mir they are able to hed for the moon:-o!

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
            Like with Unity I believe it can not be used by anyone else.
            Guess again...

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/unity/

Comment

Mir may change that. If unity will only run on MIr, it would be a bigger task to port it to other distros (and probably not worth the effort)

Comment

'therazr' asked "how is KDE going to support Mir since it's what Ubuntu chose?" : http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/06/14...el.html#t14:29

&

non-Unity flavours and Mir from the ubuntu-devel mailing list: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ne/037250.html
                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
                  'non-Unity flavours and Mir from the ubuntu-devel mailing list: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ne/037250.html
                  I have been waiting for precisely this discussion to take place. Riddell enumerates the options:
                  For Kubuntu the options are:
                  * Use Mir -- infeasable as upstream can't support it as described above [context: Mir being distro-specific and promising no ABI compatibility]
                  * Use Wayland with packages from Debian and hope we can make those packages live with Mir as best as possible
                  * End of Kubuntu

The second options is the one I'm expecting. It's completely unknown how much it means Kubuntu and other flavours will need to maintain X and Wayland packages, hopefully not much (it's hardly our speciality) and hopefully Debian and Ubuntu Desktop will support it enough.
                  The intrepid Scott Kitterman begins the hard conversation:
                  Given that mesa is going to be heavily patched to support Mir, I question the long term feasibility of supporting Wayland in Ubuntu.
                  Ubuntu folks reply, "What patches"? They seem unaware of Martin Graesslin's commentary:
                  Ubuntu has always had one of the worst graphics stack in the free software world. I can see this in the bug tracker. [https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa] The quality of the Mesa stack in Ubuntu is really bad. For Mir Ubuntu will have to patch the Mesa stack even further. This is nothing which I would like to see. Also Mesa needs to be packaged with Wayland support. But will Canonical continue to do this? If not, would Kubuntu (and other Ubuntu flavors) need to ship their own Mesa stack? What if the changes by Canonical are so large that a standard Mesa stack doesn’t run on top of the Ubuntu stack?
                  Riddell, in response to Canonical's preference to put politics aside and just focus on the technical problems:
                  It's not a case of technical problems it's a case of Mir being different for no paticular advantage. It's a political problem of Canonical's making not KDE's. And the question is indeed what can we do in Ubuntu.
                  Canonical yammers about Mir "stakeholders" coming together for a discussion to "drive alignment" (this language makes me barf). ScottK says bug off:
                  See this is part of the problem. I don't WANT to be a Mir stakeholder. I want to focus my Kubuntu work on packaging KDE and making it work well. Historically, one of the great things about Kubuntu has been that we could rely on the work of the X team to give us a great display system with up to date hardware support that we didn't have to worry about.
                  Some bickering about the graphics stack quality occurs (seems Canonicial can't go look at bugs reported to KDE). Scott pulls the conversation back out of the weeds:
                  Kubuntu has always relied on the infrastructure provided in the Ubuntu archive to build our KDE variant on top of. It's pretty obvious to me that, at some point, this will no longer be feasible. The Kubuntu team certainly doesn't have the manpower or expertise to maintain their own X/Wayland stack. If, in the long run, the answer is to rely on Debian's maintenance effort for that, then the value of being part of the Ubuntu project is substantially diminished.
                  Canonical follows up with some vaguely-worded promise written in passive voice -- you know, the English language mechanism that escapes responsibility:
                  If Kubuntu (or any other flavor) can no longer be a *buntu flavor, I think everyone would all consider this an unacceptable outcome for the Mir project. Thanks to Jonathon and Scott for engaging in a constructive conversation about their requirements. I am confident that a mutual agreeable resolution to the technical issues will be released.
                  Pull up a chair and start drinking crappy rum now, folks. This ain't gonna be pretty.

Comment

Doesn't really matter to me if they can make kwin run on Mir...if kubuntu starts using Mir I'm out before you can spell mississippi :P

Comment

It's obvious that Canonical has lost interest in keeping Ubuntu as a Linux distribution, and instead wants to build a kind of semi-proprietary operating system. The dilemma for the flavors, then is to decide whether to remain a distribution, and undergo necessary realignments, or whether to stick with Canonical. The former is more difficult, the latter seems dangerous.

Comment

This is depressing. I dont want to find a new OS:cry:

Comment

I, personally take offence at this:

Pull up a chair and start drinking crappy rum now, folks. This ain't gonna be pretty.
                          I ALWAYS DRINK CRAPPY RUM.... that way I have the money to buy the boat later:

But..... how about BSD?

JOKING!!! LOL

woodsmoke
                          Last edited by woodsmoke; Jun 14, 2013, 08:26 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

It's obvious that Canonical has lost interest in keeping Ubuntu as a Linux distribution, and instead wants to build a kind of semi-proprietary operating system. The dilemma for the flavors, then is to decide whether to remain a distribution, and undergo necessary realignments, or whether to stick with Canonical. The former is more difficult, the latter seems dangerous.
                            Thanks very much to all who have provided the updates on this issue - LOL and some sadness. It is very much appreciated by me.

I feel that it is best to be forewarned so that you can be forearmed. The outcome with Canonical will determine if we keep the "B" in SABDFL when referring to Mark Shuttleworth. We can only hope that the "Benevolent" part comes to the fore in this process. At least he seems aware of the hornets nest that has been stirred up with what is being proposed.

Since many are providing a graphic to illustrate their position, I will add one which I hope prevails with SABDFL from Down Under.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                              Mir may change that. If unity will only run on MIr, it would be a bigger task to port it to other distros (and probably not worth the effort)
                              Hate to burst your bubble, but...

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mir-bzr/

Comment

Hate to burst your bubble, but...
                                https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mir-bzr/
                                ...lovely imagery

Still, let's talk about that when I see it working...it doesn't take much to put things in AUR, getting things to run smoothly and work with the rest of the system is another matter completely.

Comment

Working...
                                X