This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphics problem Intel H61 chipset

Hi, I need help to find the right graphics driver for a new motherboard I just installed. Its a Elitegroup ECS H61H2-M17 with chipset Intel H61 and its pluged into HDMI monitor. I have no sound as its using a generic driver I suppose. Can anyone point me in the right direction where to find the correct driver. regards Michael
    Last edited by michael123; Feb 10, 2013, 06:57 PM. Reason: Solved

I believe it's the Intel driver and it's already installed by default. What problem are you having?

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi, thanks for your quick response.
      Which Intel driver, do you have a driver name and where to find it?
      I tried the Additional Drivers in System and there are no propriety drivers installed so are unable to activate.
      Because I have no propriety drivers installed and its connected to HDMI there is no sound or the usual graphics affects.
      I have all the boxes ticked in sofware sourses including restricted but can't seem to get the propriety driver.
      Any ideas - regards Michael

P.s. The previous M/board had ATI on board graphics - which I have deleted.

When I look in Menu- Info centre - graphical information - it has no information
      Last edited by michael123; Feb 06, 2013, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I'm afraid you're running down a blind alley - if you're using the integrated graphics capability of an Intel Sandybridge or Ivybridge CPU, then there is no proprietary driver for that. Intel's official Linux driver is open source, and is included in Kubuntu out of the box.
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Michael, might you be new(ish) to linux? I ask because linux isn't like windows where every device comes with a driver disc that needs installation. Most motherboard components and devices are driver supported in kernel modules and are installed by default.

The point is: rather than posting a search for a solution, try posting a search for an answer. The difference is how you ask. Instead of stating you need a driver, list the details of your problem, specifics of your system, what you've tried to do to solve the problem, the results your getting, and so on.

Your original post has been answered: The "driver" is "intel" and it's already installed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well thanks again for your quick reply.
            Yes reasonably newish to kubuntu.
            My old m/board was a gigabyte amd with onboard ati hd 3000 graphics HDMI it had all the bells and whistles rotating screen and sound etc - it failed.
            The new m/board is Elitegroup ECS H61H2-M17 with chipset Intel H61 and its pluged into HDMI, I simply fitted the new board and plugged in the HDD and DVD and HDMI monitor and it worked - amasing!! without all the bells and whistles rotating screen and sound etc.
            Does the open source driver support HDMI bells and whistles rotating screen and sound etc?
            If it does how do I know what driver is installed?
            regards Michael

Comment

Most reliable xorg info is in the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Type this in a terminal:

Code:
              cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep Driver
              and you should see your driver listed as "Intel" and a version number.

Back to the issue - if you're seeing anything on the monitor, it's obviously working. Whether or not you're able to display graphic effects is another matter.

Can I assume you're in a graphic environment? What results do you get when enabling effects? Is your sound card detected? Type:

aplay -l

to see a list of sound devices. If your sound card is detected, verify your sound is not muted in the mixer.

Please Read Me

Comment

michael@michael-Unknow:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep Driver
                [ 19.482] X.Org Video Driver: 11.0
                [ 19.510] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
                [ 19.510] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
                [ 19.511] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
                [ 19.511] (II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
                [ 19.512] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
                [ 20.073] (II) UXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
                [ 20.147] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
                michael@michael-Unknow:~$ aplay -l
                **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
                card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: VT1705 Analog [VT1705 Analog]
                Subdevices: 1/1
                Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 2: VT1705 HP [VT1705 HP]
                card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
                michael@michael-Unknow:~$

OpenGL compositing (the default) has crashed KWin in the past.
                This was most likely due to a driver bug.
                If you think that you have meanwhile upgraded to a stable driver,
                you can reset this protection but be aware that this might result in an immediate crash!
                Alternatively, you might want to use the XRender backend instead.

The sound works on anolog speakers but not HDMI

Thanks - Michael

Comment

michael@michael-Unknow:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep Driver
                  [ 19.482] X.Org Video Driver: 11.0
                  [ 19.511] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
                  [ 19.511] (II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
                  [ 19.512] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
                  [ 20.073] (II) UXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
                  [ 20.147] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
                  michael@michael-Unknow:~$ aplay -l
                  **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
                  card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: VT1705 Analog [VT1705 Analog]
                  card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 2: VT1705 HP [VT1705 HP]
                  card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
                  michael@michael-Unknow:~$

OpenGL compositing (the default) has crashed KWin in the past.
                  This was most likely due to a driver bug.
                  If you think that you have meanwhile upgraded to a stable driver,
                  you can reset this protection but be aware that this might result in an immediate crash!
                  Alternatively, you might want to use the XRender backend instead.

The sound works on anolog speakers but not HDMI

Thanks - Michael

Comment

SOLVED - I just selected OpenGL and it worked this time - don't know why, I didn't do anything. Also HDMI appeared in pulse and was able to select it - so everything is working

Comment

Working...
                    X