Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: users comments on various android cell phone implementations

1. Back To Top    #11
    RSDC of the Loyal Order of Loosejaw woodsmoke's Avatar
    midwest U.S.A. (ummm that is...flyover country to the elites)
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    03:32 AM

Re: users comments on various android cell phone implementations

Hi steveriley

GREAT post! I'll probably not root my phone but I WILL remove the widgets on home page! thanks.

woodsmoke
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

2. Back To Top    #12
    Esteemed Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    08:32 AM

Sorry, no experience with this yet, but just noticed this today and thought I'd share:

http://code.google.com/p/android-notifier/

Related blog post

3. Back To Top    #13
    Kubuntu as a Second Language DoYouKubuntu's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    01:32 AM

Quote Originally Posted by steveriley
    I picked up a T-Mobile G1 the day it came out. As soon as people figured out to root it, I did the same to mine
    I haven't rooted my phone yet, and don't know when/if I will. It's weird because I have NO FEAR when it comes to computers and *nix; I know that no matter what, no matter how badly I screw things up, I can always fix a *nix computer. I'm totally comfortable at a command line, where I learned how to do everything, including reconfigure the kernel, back in the '80s. But my phone? That's foreign territory! I'm afraid I'm going to screw it up and not be able to fix it, and end up with a pretty black paperweight. I WANT to root it, as I strongly dislike the limitations it has now--like not being able to use my standard set of commands in a terminal--but I'm just worried that I'll irrevocably screw it up...
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985. | Linux user since 1991. | Registered Linux user #163544

4. Back To Top    #14
    Pan-Galactic Quordlepleen SteveRiley's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    12:32 AM

Quote Originally Posted by DoYouKubuntu
    But my phone? That's foreign territory! I'm afraid I'm going to screw it up and not be able to fix it, and end up with a pretty black paperweight. I WANT to root it, as I strongly dislike the limitations it has now--like not being able to use my standard set of commands in a terminal--but I'm just worried that I'll irrevocably screw it up...
    Rooting isn't the alchemy it appears to be. The pioneers who risk their devices to brickage are the ones who take real risks. Once they document how to do it, the rest of us benefit.

I had never seen Linux before I bought my G1. So not only was I learning the OS, I was also learning how to override boot sectors, install recovery partitions, and flash ROMs. Surely most of us here can follow step-by-step directions, no? Just head the XDA wiki page about your phone, read read read, and then give it a try. Once you unlock your Android, you'll come to appreciate how flexible the little guy really is. You'll wonder why you waited.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    08:32 AM

@steveriley, thank you for posting this excellent information!

6. Back To Top    #16
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time

Surely most of us here can follow step-by-step directions, no? Just head the XDA wiki page about your phone, read read read
    I'd love to. The problem is, there is no page about my phone. They have a few Motorola phones but not the Bravo.

Also, everything I've read elsewhere about rooting the Bravo wouldn't work for me; I got stuck at one of the first steps, where you're supposed to enable "unknown sources" (or something like that), but my settings have no such option.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985. | Linux user since 1991. | Registered Linux user #163544

7. Back To Top    #17
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time

I'd love to. The problem is, there is no page about my phone. They have a few Motorola phones but not the Bravo.
    XDA has a full section on the Bravo:

Sometimes you have to search outside XDA to find rooting instructions. Here's one I found with a simple Google search.

Also, everything I've read elsewhere about rooting the Bravo wouldn't work for me; I got stuck at one of the first steps, where you're supposed to enable "unknown sources" (or something like that), but my settings have no such option.
    Menu | Settings | Applications | Unknown sources ... that's the path to the setting on all my Android devices, at least...

8. Back To Top    #18
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    03:32 AM

Most of what I've listed here comes in free and paid versions. Free versions are often ad-supported and sometimes have fewer features. I'm partial to the paid versions. Useful Android apps generally range between one and four dollars. People pour vast hours into creating amazing apps, I believe they should reap reward from their efforts. So if you can afford it, I'd encourage you to get the paid versions of apps you use regularly.
    Fabulous post!

I agree with you comment about being partial to paid versions. When I first started using Linux I paid for my first copy of it, RH5.0. I switched to SuSE and paid for 22 consecutive boxed sets. I have purchased or donated to every distro I use, and I donate to many apps that are offered for free and have no qualms about paying for those that are not. The only software I came to resent purchasing was Win95, but Win287, Win3.0, 3.1, 3.1WFWG, NT 3.5, 4.0, W2K and XP were paid for willingly. Especially XP. My most recent purchase of software is Minecraft, which I plan to use with my 10 year old grandson. For the most part, except for its vulnerability to malware, it isn't Windows that upsets me, it is Microsoft's lack of ethical behavior. So, I add my voice to yours in encouraging users of GPL software to willingly pay for or contribute to those delivering the applications. Try the free one first to see if you like it. IF you do, then buy the app.

Your post on rooting Android phones is superb! I am gong to make this thread a sticky note (and I won't remove extraneous comments, DoYouKubuntu! )

9. Back To Top    #19
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by woodsmoke
    GREAT post! I'll probably not root my phone but I WILL remove the widgets on home page! thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dibl
    @steveriley, thank you for posting this excellent information!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGeek
    Your post on rooting Android phones is superb!
    Thank you, kind sirs. Glad to know it's useful.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time

XDA has a full section on the Bravo:

Sometimes you have to search outside XDA to find rooting instructions. Here's one I found with a simple Google search.
    Yes, I read that page months ago--it's for windoze users.

Menu | Settings | Applications | Unknown sources ... that's the path to the setting on all my Android devices, at least...
    ...but not on mine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast