This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO configure Strigi Desktop File Indexer for editable Kmail Contacts

Caveat: The following worked for me. This was performed on my Maverick Meerkat 32-bit, running KDE 4.5.3 installation.

Background: I found that after creating new contacts in Kmail, that returning to them later for editing, I could not. None of the fields contained data, yet the contacts were fully available for new emails. What the heck I thought. This isn't right. It has to be an indexing thing. So...

How to configure Strigi Desktop File Indexer settings so Kmail's contacts and email are indexed and your contacts are editable.

K > System Settings > Nepomuk/Strigi Server Configuration > File Indexing

Mark the following folders for indexing:

paul (your user name folder)
    .kde
    apps
    kmail
    mail
    .local
    contacts

It is necessary to fully expand the .kde folder, as once you check it, every sub-folder below it will be checked. Uncheck every folder except the ones shown above. Click Apply. You can of course, just mark the .kde folder, click Apply and be done with it. This will however, mark every folder/sub-folder below .kde for indexing. If you don't care, ...

It will take awhile for the changes to take effect - for the indexing of the newly marked folders to be indexed - but once it is, editing of your Kmail Contacts will be available.

Well, all of the above is not necessary or required. :P Sorry.

This is what is actually necessary and required:

K > System Settings > Personal Information > KDE Resources

In the drop-down select Contact. There needs to be two entries:

Default Address Book
    akonadi-resource

Default Address Book will already be present, and no changes to it's settings are required, so leave it alone.
    Added: 2010-11-22 Unselect the Default Address Book (don't delete it). KMail requires that this resource exist, but akonadi doesn't use it. If it is selected (so it seems based on my observations) along with akonadi-resource, your Contacts will occassionally become 'read-only' and editing of them can not be done.

If akonadi-resource is not present, click Add..., click on Akonadi Address Books, and click OK. If the next window shows the entry Personal Contacts Contacts in the lower pane, click it, check the Contacts box (and Distribution lists if you have them), click on Synchronize Folder and OK. Now click on akonadi-resource and click the Use as Standard button and Apply. Done.

I quite Kontact and then relaunched it. My Contacts are editable and are selectable while typing in the To: CC: or BCC:

Added 03-Dec-2010:

Well, at times, my Contacts still become uneditable (read-only?). They are so once again this morning. It is known that Kmail and Akonadi don't dance well together - yet - so this behavior may just have to be chalked up to that. I'll just live with it, and hope that eventually, Kmail will reach the point were it integrates with akonadi as is expected, and an update to Kmail resolves this once and for all.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: HOWTO configure Strigi Desktop File Indexer for editable Kmail Contacts

Hi snowhog, thank you for this.

I haven't been back to kontact for a while as google resources still doesn't work to my liking.

anyway, what if I don't have a .local/share/contacts folder?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: HOWTO configure Strigi Desktop File Indexer for editable Kmail Contacts

Originally posted by Fintan
      anyway, what if I don't have a .local/share/contacts folder?
      But you indicated that you followed what I documented on KDE Community Forums, in your reply Re: HOWTO Configure KDE and Akonadi so it just works. Did you actually utilize/check your setup against my HOWTO?

Keep in mind, what I did and my HOWTO are based on a 32-bit install. Is your's a 64-bit installation?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X